Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Crank Wobble!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 10:32 AM
bike-izle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crank Wobble!?

I just installed my Sugino 75s, complete with the "official" Sugino 75 square taper BB and an Alter chainring.

There's obvious side-to-side wobble as I spin the crank. I was expecting something a little more "pro" with this setup. I don't have the bike with me ATM, but I'm gonna try re-installing the cranks on a different spindle location and checking the chainring.

Anybody ever experience this? Any ideas?
Old 04-09-22, 03:21 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
If it's tightened to spec and there's play then it sounds like the crank taper is rounded out.
Old 04-09-22, 03:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If by "wobble" you mean that the chainring gets closer to (and further away from) the frame as it spins, make sure the chainring is seated evenly on all arms of the spider and the bolts are all similarly tight. If so, remove the chainring and place it on a flat surface and see if it's warped. If it isn't, watch the naked spider as you spin it -- is one (or more) of the arms bent? I'd be surprised if the BB has anything to do with it, but check to make sure the spindle tapers are the correct size for the cranks -- ISO vs JIS.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-09-22, 05:09 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everything is brand new. Don't see any rounded areas.
Old 04-09-22, 05:11 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
If by "wobble" you mean that the chainring gets closer to (and further away from) the frame as it spins, make sure the chainring is seated evenly on all arms of the spider and the bolts are all similarly tight. If so, remove the chainring and place it on a flat surface and see if it's warped. If it isn't, watch the naked spider as you spin it -- is one (or more) of the arms bent? I'd be surprised if the BB has anything to do with it, but check to make sure the spindle tapers are the correct size for the cranks -- ISO vs JIS.
Correct, closer/farther from the frame. I'll try all this when I'm near the bike.