Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Industry in America

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Industry in America

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 12:57 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Industry in America

Enjoy...

Old 02-22-12, 01:40 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That was cool.

Industry On Parade was one of my favorite shows as a kid.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-22-12, 01:43 AM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m not sure I’m enjoying it yet.

It sounds like a serious topic however.
Old 02-22-12, 03:15 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Columbia tore down the factory this was filmed in a few years ago.

The buildings were over 100 years old at the time, a shame, but they had been unused for decades.

At the time this movie was made Columbia was owned by Torrington and their bikes were considered equal to if not superior to Schwinn's during this era.

In 1967 MTD bought Columbia, in one decade they had run quality into the ground, and by 1987 Columbia was bankrupt. It was a perfect example of how to destroy a 100 year old company. By 1967 Columbia was no longer at Schwinn level really, but by 1977 their bikes were just embarrassing. They made Huffy bikes look good. Thin paint, sloppy brazing, cheap thin chrome - decals applied skewed. There was just 0 indication of any pride in the product.

The office buildings and some of the post WWII factory buildings are still in use to produce folding chairs and picnic tables...
Old 02-22-12, 05:30 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I remember a show on "How it's Made " that showed a production lne for CCM's. Still rather have a Schwinn than a Columbia, Tho Columbia made a nice 10 speed in the 60's and 70's as I recall . I had one before I started work, and got a lot better bike out of it . Car just didn't occurr to me until Community College . By the late 70's, Columbias were a bad lot . If they'd cut any more corners, they would have been round.
Old 02-22-12, 05:44 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I'll remember this vid the next time someone asks if it's OK to cold set a frame.
Old 02-22-12, 06:16 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Love the movie, but I can't imagine sitting there truing wheels for 8 hours a day.
Old 02-22-12, 07:38 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Love the movie, but I can't imagine sitting there truing wheels for 8 hours a day.
I had the exact same thought. That would be one heck of a mind numbing job!

Great video, thanks for sharing it. I liked watching the women add stripes to the fenders and frames.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-22-12, 08:14 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 1,060 Posts
I can't imagine sitting there truing wheels for 8 hours a day.
And you don't have to:

https://youtu.be/7yF_S1L0X68
Old 02-22-12, 08:21 AM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
I have an aunt who, during about a twenty year period of her life many years ago, did just that. She worked at a bicycle manufacturing plant in the US (AMF), and when I saw all those work stations in the video where the ladies are lacing up wheels, I thought, wow, that's what she did. She did not like that job at all, but it helped pay their bills. She was a naturally athletic lady who, later on, when she and my uncle were more affluent, became an accomplished tennis player. She had the strongest hands, by far, of any lady I've ever known. She always said it was because of the wheelbuilding job at the bicycle plant.

Last edited by well biked; 02-22-12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 08:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
She did not like that job at all...
My mom worked in a factory like that in the early 1950s. She said it was way better than picking cotton by hand.
Old 02-22-12, 08:40 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Someone has to build your wheels for you... and like someone said, it helped pay the bills and unemployment was a third of what is is today.
Old 02-22-12, 08:41 AM
well biked

Originally Posted by tcs
My mom worked in a factory like that in the early 1950s. She said it was way better than picking cotton by hand.
I'm sure that's true. The aunt I mentioned never lived on a farm, I don't think, but my mom did and picked cotton as a kid. It was not a fond memory for her, either.
Old 02-22-12, 09:00 AM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mass produced bikes in the USA? NOT that "Happening" today. The EPA, OSHA and UAW have made it economically impossible to turn a profit. In the "Entry Level" industry, are there ANY bikes still MASS PRODUCED in the US? I guess CANNONDALE and TREK, not exactly entry level. But their lower end bikes are NOT make in the US.
Old 02-22-12, 09:08 AM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Those couldn't have been Columbias, I didn't see the stage that they added "LOTS OF RUST" to them!!! (that is the kind I usually see!)
Old 02-22-12, 09:16 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Amazing that they made the entire bike at the one factory.
Old 02-22-12, 09:26 AM
well biked

Originally Posted by RubberLegs
I guess CANNONDALE and TREK, not exactly entry level. But their lower end bikes are NOT make in the US.
No Cannondales at all any more, maybe the highest end carbon fiber Treks.
Old 02-22-12, 11:36 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberLegs
The EPA, OSHA and UAW have made it economically impossible to turn a profit.
Really? What exactly did they do to destroy the bicycle industry?
Old 02-22-12, 11:46 AM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah that proclamation caught me too but I decided I wanted to stay Ron Paul flame-war-free
Old 02-22-12, 01:57 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Actually Huffy and AMF were finally done in by a decision not to impose tariffs on Chinese made bicycles I think.

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-56830292.html

Rejecting a plea from America's three biggest bicycle makers, the U.S. International Trade Commission yesterday ruled that surging imports from China-based competitors do not pose a "material threat" to U.S. manufacturers.
Even if OSHA, and the UAW didn't exist, you'd have a hard time competing against products made by factories that don't need to operate within the realms of capitalism.

Schwinn was done in by a failure to innovate, Columbia was done in by exceptionally stupid management decisions, Ross actually farmed out manufacture of some of their bikes to Taiwan but I think they were already dead in the water by 1996 when AMF and Huffy were served their death warrant.

Columbia made the mistake of trying to compete on price while simultaneously trying to cash in on the company name. It didn't work. They drove the quality further and further to the bottom, and they ended up competing with Huffy, AMF, Murray - the bottom of the market was already saturated. It was an incredibly stupid move and it also ruined whatever prestige the brand name held.

Conversely Ross started at the bottom and saw their best chance was to try and move up. They ended up making some of the better American bicycles during the late 70s and 1980s. They also grabbed onto mountain bikes and got that market while Schwinn was still twiddling their thumbs.

Last edited by Mos6502; 02-22-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 02:25 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The UAW killed Schwinn with inflexible work rules and the mind numbingly stupid assertion that even the unskilled workers in the bicycle factories should be paid as much as the skilled labor in auto factories. The union didn't care that it was going to put its membership out of work by bankrupting the memberships' employer.

For the most part the UAW does what is good for the union bureaucracy and doesn't give a damn about the membership anymore. Compulsory workplace dues have made the leadership almost completely isolated from the members. They are scared to death of right to work and freedom of association laws which would have a large part of the resentful membership declaring "thanks for nothing!" and cutting off coerced payment of dues. Monopolies never work in the consumer's favor and when the leadership figured out that membership was a monopolized product required for employment, the consumer i.e. the employees started to get screwed by the very organization originally created to help them.

Even with cutthroat competition from Asia I think Schwinn would have survived if the bulk of its manufacturing had been in right to work states with low costs of living to make the compensation to employees and costs of operation competitive. Automakers have been able to pull this off and I really do think Schwinn could have if they hadn't remained so heavily invested in Chicago until it was too late.

Last edited by Fenway; 02-22-12 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 02:35 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Life seems so much happier in black & white with an orchestral sound track...............aaahhhhh another Stag please!
Old 02-22-12, 03:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
The demise of Schwinn was a suicide, my friend.....

Originally Posted by Fenway
The UAW killed Schwinn with inflexible work rules and the mind numbingly stupid assertion that even the unskilled workers in the bicycle factories should be paid as much as the skilled labor in auto factories. The union didn't care that it was going to put its membership out of work by bankrupting the memberships' employer.

For the most part the UAW does what is good for the union bureaucracy and doesn't give a damn about the membership anymore. Compulsory workplace dues have made the leadership almost completely isolated from the members. They are scared to death of right to work and freedom of association laws which would have a large part of the resentful membership declaring "thanks for nothing!" and cutting off coerced payment of dues. Monopolies never work in the consumer's favor and when the leadership figured out that membership was a monopolized product required for employment, the consumer i.e. the employees started to get screwed by the very organization originally created to help them.

Even with cutthroat competition from Asia I think Schwinn would have survived if the bulk of its manufacturing had been in right to work states with low costs of living to make the compensation to employees and costs of operation competitive. Automakers have been able to pull this off and I really do think Schwinn could have if they hadn't remained so heavily invested in Chicago until it was too late.
If a moderator will move this to P+R, I will give it
the dismantling it so richly deserves.

Meanwhile, take a look at:
Old 02-22-12, 03:47 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think we need to move the thread - if we're discussing the history of bicycle manufacturers I think we're on topic for this forum.

I don't think the UAW killed Schwinn, they didn't help them certainly, but Schwinn had bigger internal problems than the UAW.

They invested in the costly electro-forging equipment right when Americans were getting turned on to light weight bikes, and lugged frames were becoming perceived as a mark of quality for instance.

While they caught on to dérailleurs and ten speeds early on, they were slow to respond to BMX and mountain biking. I think Schwinn was a little "out of touch" with what the cycling public wanted, and they weren't responding quick enough to new trends. A day late and dollar short.
Old 02-22-12, 04:04 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
When I worked in a shop thats all I did for weeks on end during the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.