Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire not seating properly!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 07:26 AM
southpawboston

Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts

i can't for the life of me to get a tire properly seated on my 26" mtn bike rim. the tire is a schwalbe marathon (old style), 26x1.75. the wire bead on one side refuses to properly seat along the rim lip. as a result, as i ride, i feel a slight "flat spot" with every tire rotation. here's what i've tried so far:

-- deflating the air pressure to about 5 lbs and "pulling" the bead outward with my fingers. this just causes the bead on the other side of the tire to cave in toward the center of the wheel.

-- pumping in 10-15% higher pressure than the tire's max rated pressure and riding around for awhile. still won't seat.

-- deflating the tire and wetting the bead with soap water. nothing.

-- deflating the tire and putting talcum powder around the bead. nada.

for the record, i've mounted at least two other brands of 26x1.75 tires on this rim without a hitch. so i'm beginning to think this schwalbe is defective.

any ideas or suggestions? there's no way i can exchange the tire for a replacement.
Old 01-01-09, 08:48 AM
stevetone

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper, Felt F-70, lemond Buenos Aires, Trek T900 Tandem, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a long shot, but is the rim strip, by creeping up on one side or being too wide, interfering with the tire seating on the rim? I've had this happen ONCE, but I imagine it's pretty rare.
Old 01-01-09, 09:50 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
Put in just a little air pressure (~10psi) and then go around the tire pressing the tire bead in away from the rim to try to get it to seat better. A "rolling" action may also help where you start to roll the tire off the rim.
Old 01-01-09, 09:57 AM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The tire's sizing may not match the rim size . check ISO numbers on the tire with the problem againist one than fit . The ISO numbers is a three digets code on the side wall of the tire.
Old 01-01-09, 09:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Is the wire bead badly kinked? That could be the cause of the uneven seating.
Old 01-01-09, 10:05 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen this, but I imagine it could happen, but is the bead smooth? Maybe bad manufacturing led to a lump of rubber that keeps it from seating correctly?
Old 01-01-09, 10:09 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,780 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman715
The tire's sizing may not match the rim size . check ISO numbers on the tire with the problem againist one than fit . The ISO numbers is a three digets code on the side wall of the tire.
+1 I bought a set of Schwalbes at a swap that were marked 26" but the diameter wasn't correct for my mountain bike rims.
Old 01-03-09, 12:19 PM
southpawboston

ISO size is correct (559).
Old 01-03-09, 07:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,324 Times in 911 Posts
Try a lot more soap in your "soap water". I use very little water, maybe 20-30%
Old 01-03-09, 07:49 PM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you hate it when this happens? I have certain tire and rim combinations (same spec and sizing) that do this!

I have nothing to share other than sympathy...
Old 01-04-09, 11:12 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Try a lot more soap in your "soap water". I use very little water, maybe 20-30%
thanks. will try this. i was using more like 90-95% water.

is there any harm in having residual soap inside the rim and tire bead? will it deteriorate the rubber?
Old 01-04-09, 11:25 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Use more air pressure. Keep going until the bead pops into place. A little soapy water won't hurt either.
Old 01-04-09, 01:34 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I bet it's a pinched tube...
Old 07-01-14, 10:28 AM
Skipjack2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd revive this thread because I had the same problem on an organized ride last week. Changed my tube out roadside and could not for the life of me get the tire (Bontrager) to seat properly. So, I hobbled with my wobbly tire down the road to the next SAG stop where the driver whipped out a Park Tool "Tire Seater". Worked like a charm.. but not something you would carry with you on the road.
Old 07-01-14, 02:26 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
This weekend i was trying to refurbish an old trek and could not get the tire to seat. After looking at the inside of the rim i figured the gum from the cloth rim strip was messing up the seating. Got some steel wool and cleaned out the inside of the rim and new rim cloth, worked perfectly. It seemed like maybe the new tire was bad, so i tried another one and the same problem and that narrowed it down to the cruddy inside rim.

It was amazing that these over 30 year cloth rim strips were still intact. Cheap rubber ones hardly are able to handle a few years of active use.
Old 07-01-14, 05:30 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,293 Times in 824 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjack2001
Thought I'd revive this thread because I had the same problem on an organized ride last week. Changed my tube out roadside and could not for the life of me get the tire (Bontrager) to seat properly. So, I hobbled with my wobbly tire down the road to the next SAG stop where the driver whipped out a Park Tool "Tire Seater". Worked like a charm.. but not something you would carry with you on the road.
Oh great, another tool I need to go out and buy 8-) Just kidding, I love to buy single purpose- tools especially when not having them is a royal PITA. I have had that tire seating problem only once and it was a beatch to get it to seat. Talcum, (didn't try soap), a lot of fiddling with my hands until my thumbs were raw, and inflating to about 3X the normal pressure. Finally got it to seat. I'd have gladly bought the tool for just that one instance!
Old 07-02-14, 03:19 PM
Skipjack2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what was your diagnosis? Was it just a bad tire? I just have the cheap came-with-the-bike tires on there and was thinking of investing in a better set.
Old 07-02-14, 06:49 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,780 Times in 1,288 Posts
Had a specialized tire give me problems lately. I turned the whop section to the valve and inflated it. Everything smoothed out. It's still a pain if you get a flat and need to pump it up to get it right.
Old 06-24-15, 02:34 PM
dkperez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If y'all don't mind, I'll revive this yet again.... ICE T tadpole trike. Came with Schwalbe Marathon 20x1.5 tires on 406 size rims. Bought NEW Marathon GG tires in 20x1.75 AND the correct Schwalbe tubes.

Tires won't seat. Tried different tires on different rims. Tried different tubes - old/new. Put the old tire back on - worked perfectly... Here's what's been recommended in here (I've tried them ALL for the last 24 hours):

-- deflating the air pressure to about 5 lbs and "pulling" the bead outward with my fingers.
-- pumping in 10-15% higher pressure than the tire's max rated pressure - in THEORY, the tire is good for 8.5 BAR, which is 116 p.s.i, although the rating on the side is 70 psi.
-- deflating the tire and wetting the bead with soapy water. Inflate. Repeat a half dozen times. nothing.
-- deflating the tire and putting talcum powder around the bead AND on the tube. nada.
-- I checked the rim strip on all 3 rims - they're in the center, not going up either side.
-- Checked the tire bead very carefully - no nubs, globs, chunks, oddities, rough spots, or anything on the tires.
-- Put in just a little air pressure (~10psi) and then went around the tire pressing the tire bead in away from the rim to try to get it to seat better. A "rolling" action may also help where you start to roll the tire off the rim. Did this repeatedly. Made no difference when filling the tire.
-- Checked ISO numbers on ALL the tires and the rim. Everything matches.
-- Checked all THREE tires - no kinks ANYWHERE on the brand new tires.
-- Tried multiple tires on multiple rims with different tubes of different sizes to see if that mattered. Nope.
-- I made some soapy water that was not more than 10% water. Made no difference.
-- Use more air pressure. Keep going until the bead pops into place. A little soapy water won't hurt either.
Don't think I have the guts! Tires say 70 psi. I ran them to 105 then set them aside to see if they'l seat. I'm not sure I want to get anywhere near one of these at 2X or 3X the recommended pressure.

-- down the road to the next SAG stop where the driver whipped out a Park Tool "Tire Seater". Worked like a charm..
Went to the LBS. They had one of those tools. Air in. Grab with tool. Twist. Nope. Let air out. Do same thing. Repeat several times. Swear. Let air out. Wet with soapy water. Repeat previous. Tell me the rims ICE uses aren't very good. Suggest I ride the bike and maybe the tires will seat.

At this point, ONE tire seated, one has a low spot on one side, the third has a low spot o both sides. Finally, I wet 'em, mounted 'em, plugged 'em into the compressor, and filled them to 100+ PSI and set them aside. I'll later if they're better...

WHAT A PITA! Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 06-28-15, 05:33 PM
dkperez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hm... This things sitting here like feces in a punchbowl... Nobody has any magic cures for getting impossible tires to actually seat?

Since the entry I even tried silicone spray... I've got 2 tires seated and one that still has a low spot... Given all the horror stories I've read about the Marathon Plus, and I've NEVER seen one about the regular Marathon, I can't IMAGINE trying to get the Plus(s) to seat if these are this difficult...
Old 06-29-15, 12:13 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
thanks. will try this. i was using more like 90-95% water.

is there any harm in having residual soap inside the rim and tire bead? will it deteriorate the rubber?
I flip bikes, and not like most flippers, I replace the tires and repack the bearings though out every bike I sell. So i put on about 20 sets of tires in the past 3 months. So i run into this crap all the time lol I just keep letting it down and pumping it back up till I get it right. I always use soapy water, but if I am really having a hard time, like I have already tried about 10 times without getting it right. I resort to using WD 40 instead of soap. I pump the tire up about 15 pounds over recommended pressure if I have to. Keep your face as far from the rim as possible when doing this.

I never fail, but sometimes it takes me a lot of tries. By the way I am 40 years in the tire business and am expert on repairing and mounting tires from a wheel barrel to earthmoving tires, you have to stand inside them to repair the tire.
Old 06-29-15, 09:29 PM
dkperez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was under the impression that I shouldn't use petroleum products like wd-40 on tires and tubes. I DID try silicone spray, which got me one tire on. The rear STILL isn't cooperating and has a low spot on both sides, but it's LESS bad than it originally was.

I have nothing against WD40 if it'll work better than the silicone.
Old 11-01-16, 11:42 PM
trx123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkperez
If y'all don't mind, I'll revive this yet again.... ICE T tadpole trike. Came with Schwalbe Marathon 20x1.5 tires on 406 size rims. Bought NEW Marathon GG tires in 20x1.75 AND the correct Schwalbe tubes.

Tires won't seat. Tried different tires on different rims. Tried different tubes - old/new. Put the old tire back on - worked perfectly... Here's what's been recommended in here (I've tried them ALL for the last 24 hours):

-- deflating the air pressure to about 5 lbs and "pulling" the bead outward with my fingers.
-- pumping in 10-15% higher pressure than the tire's max rated pressure - in THEORY, the tire is good for 8.5 BAR, which is 116 p.s.i, although the rating on the side is 70 psi.
-- deflating the tire and wetting the bead with soapy water. Inflate. Repeat a half dozen times. nothing.
-- deflating the tire and putting talcum powder around the bead AND on the tube. nada.
-- I checked the rim strip on all 3 rims - they're in the center, not going up either side.
-- Checked the tire bead very carefully - no nubs, globs, chunks, oddities, rough spots, or anything on the tires.
-- Put in just a little air pressure (~10psi) and then went around the tire pressing the tire bead in away from the rim to try to get it to seat better. A "rolling" action may also help where you start to roll the tire off the rim. Did this repeatedly. Made no difference when filling the tire.
-- Checked ISO numbers on ALL the tires and the rim. Everything matches.
-- Checked all THREE tires - no kinks ANYWHERE on the brand new tires.
-- Tried multiple tires on multiple rims with different tubes of different sizes to see if that mattered. Nope.
-- I made some soapy water that was not more than 10% water. Made no difference.
-- Use more air pressure. Keep going until the bead pops into place. A little soapy water won't hurt either.
Don't think I have the guts! Tires say 70 psi. I ran them to 105 then set them aside to see if they'l seat. I'm not sure I want to get anywhere near one of these at 2X or 3X the recommended pressure.

-- down the road to the next SAG stop where the driver whipped out a Park Tool "Tire Seater". Worked like a charm..
Went to the LBS. They had one of those tools. Air in. Grab with tool. Twist. Nope. Let air out. Do same thing. Repeat several times. Swear. Let air out. Wet with soapy water. Repeat previous. Tell me the rims ICE uses aren't very good. Suggest I ride the bike and maybe the tires will seat.

At this point, ONE tire seated, one has a low spot on one side, the third has a low spot o both sides. Finally, I wet 'em, mounted 'em, plugged 'em into the compressor, and filled them to 100+ PSI and set them aside. I'll later if they're better...

WHAT A PITA! Anyone have any other ideas?
I am having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution to this?
Old 11-01-16, 11:44 PM
trx123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
i can't for the life of me to get a tire properly seated on my 26" mtn bike rim. the tire is a schwalbe marathon (old style), 26x1.75. the wire bead on one side refuses to properly seat along the rim lip. as a result, as i ride, i feel a slight "flat spot" with every tire rotation. here's what i've tried so far:

-- deflating the air pressure to about 5 lbs and "pulling" the bead outward with my fingers. this just causes the bead on the other side of the tire to cave in toward the center of the wheel.

-- pumping in 10-15% higher pressure than the tire's max rated pressure and riding around for awhile. still won't seat.

-- deflating the tire and wetting the bead with soap water. nothing.

-- deflating the tire and putting talcum powder around the bead. nada.

for the record, i've mounted at least two other brands of 26x1.75 tires on this rim without a hitch. so i'm beginning to think this schwalbe is defective.

any ideas or suggestions? there's no way i can exchange the tire for a replacement.
Did you find a solution? I am having the same problem.
Old 11-02-16, 05:31 AM
okane

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
First make sure all mounting surfaces are clean, especially the wheel.

Then I mount the tire and before adding air, use a 1/2" paint brush and liberally "paint" both sides of the tire bead with bubble making solution (the kind kids use to blow bubbles).

Often times need to go 5 or 10 pounds over the recommended inflation before I hear that wonderful pop that tells me the tire is fully seated, but hasn't failed me yet after many, many times.

I don't do this as a matter of course, only with difficult tires.

Bubble solution is more convenient to use and store and maybe more "slippery" than soapy water even though they are very similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.