Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire won't stay seated

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire won't stay seated

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 08:04 PM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tire won't stay seated

I bought a wheelset (eighth inch amelia's) that came with tires and tubes pre-installed. When I started pumping them up, I noticed the bead wouldn't stay seated. I know this is usually due to part of the tube being between the tire and the rim, but I checked all around and that isn't the case. It looks to me like the tire is actually stretched out or warped. Is there any way to get this to mount up evenly?

Yes, I know these are dirt cheap tires, but I would at least like to get a few miles out of them.

Pic of bulging section @60 psi (120 is recommended) Note the hash marks showing near the rim:

Pic of normal section (60 psi):
Old 02-28-11, 09:00 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "normal" section seems too far into the rim, I'm guessing it's opposite of the "buldging" section.

A little of the bead-seat showing isn't uncommon, deflate the tube, reposition the tire so that it's more-or-less even throughout, and inflate slowly.

I put ~10psi in the tire, then tug on the sections too far into the rim so the bead gets seated, then continue pumping.

I've had two different sets of tires that where made too wide, both blew off the rim at anything above 30psi. It took NO effort to mount the tires, and setting the wheel down without air in the tubes caused the tires to slide off, since the inside diameter of the tire was the same size, or only very slightly smaller than the rim.

If indeed your tires are made over-sized, and they won't seat properly, don't ride them. Having a tire unmount while riding is NOT going to end well.

Last edited by MilitantPotato; 02-28-11 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 09:12 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't see any bulging. What I do see is one section of tire that looks to be fully seated and another section that has yet to fully seat. I'd fully inflate the tire to get the bead seated against the hook throughout the rim's circumference. If there's still some variance, I'd deflate to low psi, work the tire a bit manually and then inflate again.
Old 02-28-11, 10:15 PM
TLCFORBIKES

Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spray silicone along the tire bead where you notice the tire not seating properly. Then inflate the tire (to 120 or a little more). The tire should seat properly.
Old 02-28-11, 10:15 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by desertdork
I don't see any bulging. What I do see is one section of tire that looks to be fully seated and another section that has yet to fully seat. I'd fully inflate the tire to get the bead seated against the hook throughout the rim's circumference. If there's still some variance, I'd deflate to low psi, work the tire a bit manually and then inflate again.
+1
Try what desertdork says.
Old 02-28-11, 10:50 PM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MilitantPotato
The "normal" section seems too far into the rim, I'm guessing it's opposite of the "buldging" section.

A little of the bead-seat showing isn't uncommon, deflate the tube, reposition the tire so that it's more-or-less even throughout, and inflate slowly.

I put ~10psi in the tire, then tug on the sections too far into the rim so the bead gets seated, then continue pumping.

I've had two different sets of tires that where made too wide, both blew off the rim at anything above 30psi. It took NO effort to mount the tires, and setting the wheel down without air in the tubes caused the tires to slide off, since the inside diameter of the tire was the same size, or only very slightly smaller than the rim.

If indeed your tires are made over-sized, and they won't seat properly, don't ride them. Having a tire unmount while riding is NOT going to end well.
Tried this along with a little lubricant along the bead. All went well! Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-11, 11:14 PM
enim

Bikes: Self-built EightInch fixed-gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had endless problems with those tires when I bought my set. The same thing would happen, except it would come completely unseated. It took me a solid 10 minutes to inflate it super slow and keep it even. Just get new tires.
Old 03-01-11, 10:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,482 Times in 1,975 Posts
Originally Posted by TLCFORBIKES
I spray silicone along the tire bead where you notice the tire not seating properly. Then inflate the tire (to 120 or a little more). The tire should seat properly.
No need to get all high-tech. Squirt a little dish detergent in some water and use a rag to spread it along the bead. Works like a champ!
Old 03-01-11, 07:18 PM
reptilezs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No need to get all high-tech. Squirt a little dish detergent in some water and use a rag to spread it along the bead. Works like a champ!
i keep an old dish soap bottle full of water and a few drops of soap handy. squirt it all over the rim, make a mess and inflate. works great.
Old 03-01-11, 07:43 PM
TLCFORBIKES

Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Silicone spray isn't "high-tech" - just what I have at the shop. It cost $2.50 for a 24oz can (full retail price - not dealer cost). :-)
It is very clean and will evaporate and is very fast/easy to use. Give it a try sometimes. The old soapy water trick will work but I usually do not have any at the store.