Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Involuntary, yet new bike commuter advice, encouragement?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-10, 06:30 PM
Ryan T

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.3 1970something Triumph road bike in need of attention

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was a kid before getting my license, I rode my mountain bike everywhere! I loved it and it was nothing for me to spend half a day on the road, once I got my drivers license it all came to an end.

I unfortunately lost my license last weekend, which in return caused me to loose my job. I found a new job, and I start tomorrow morning. Needless to say this has been a big life change for me and I have a lot of adjusting to do. I tried to find a bright side, and by doing so i walked to my local bike shop and told them I wanted a commuter bike to drive to and from work everyday. The next day i picked up this a 2010 Trek FX 7.3...

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/imageca...aniteblack.jpg

I wanted a fast road bike, yet i i wanted to sit upright. I'm trying to turn losing my license into a positive thing and i'll get in better shape threw biking.

I had them install front and rear lights these cool fold out nylon fender things and a computer thing that tells milage and speed

My ride to work is less the 5 miles each way, but i haven't been on a bike in about 5 years so its going to take some adjusting, i'm going to get rides for now until im more confident on how well i'm going to hold up the the ride i don't want to be to burnt out on my first few days at a new job.

Any advice for someone who's just getting into biking yet has to do so for transportation? What do you new england riders wear to bike in the middle of winter?

To get off topic a little... I've been saving this old ass "Triumph" roadbike from the trash for years, it belonged to my uncle... who's now in his mid 50's, he got a new when he was 15 or so. I'm not sure what size it is but its rather big... has a vintage looking leather seat and front and rear generator lights, its a cool vintage looking bike that's always been stored inside I've been meaning to tune it up and put some new tires on it i'm going to take some picts and try to get more info on it
Old 02-07-10, 07:21 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey I am in New England and just started bike-commuting in October, so I am sort of in the same boat. Also, the Trek Soho I ride is as far as I can tell pretty much the same bike as the 7.3 but with internal gears and brakes. I think you made a great choice. As for winter riding in the Boston area...

If your ride is 5mil each way, then you will spend half the ride getting warm but you won't be out so long that you overheat or have your toes getting cold (happens to me after about an hour). So, I would aim to bundle up pretty well so the first half of your commute isn't too cold. For me, I get reasonably warm in the torso and legs reasonably quick; the challenge is head, hands, and feet.

For the head, I would put tape over the holes in your helmet and also get a balaclava if you can. Or if that's too much $ a scarf will help, though if it's in the 20s you will really want your whole face covered with the balaclava.

For the hands, so-called "lobster mitts" work wonders for me but any thick gloves with liners may be fine for you (I have lousy circulation).

Feet are the toughest part for me; after 45min the toes start to freeze. A ot of people swear by hiking boots if you are using standard pedals. I use oversized bike shoes + felt liners on the bottom + wool socks + "toastie toes" warmers + neoprene booties. It's a real pain honestly and I am thinking of reverting to good old hiking boots with toe straps.

For the rest of me, I just wear jeans with long underwear under them (when it's below 40) and up top a few layers so I can peel them off if I overheat.

My commute is 15 miles and I am way out of shape, so I think you will be just fine with 5 miles unless there are really steep hills. I had not been on a bike in 15-20 years and picked it up after just a couple of times. The big thing for me was confidence -- at first I was scared to cross intersections and ride with traffic. If you can, I would try out your route on a weekend or at least during off-peak hours when there is not a ton of traffic.

one thing I can't comment on is riding in the ice, because I usualy chicken out and take the commuter rail. that may not be an option given where you live, so you might need to invest in some studded tires (check the ICEBIKE website for details).

GOOD LUCK. sounds like a tough situation but you can bounce back. I have found that biking gives me *huge* confidence and lots of energy while I'm at work. one really cool thing is that people will be impressed that you bike to work, and the word will get around. milk it for all it's worth!
Old 02-07-10, 07:36 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
here's a link to a thread I started a couple of weeks ago based on my 40 years of bike commuting in New England- hopefully, it will give you some ideas.

Winter is all about layers. Start simple with thin layers close to the skin and work up to a thicker "loft" of maybe a "polar-tec" like material and, if need be, a good windbreaker or water resistant/proof jacket. Note my comment in my thread about the balaclava. For your hands layers work well too- thin gloves close to skin, then a mitten or lobster glove over that if need be and if it does not have a waterproof/water resistant cover then add one to that. And carry those hand warmers you see in hardware stores in thin packages if you have a long commute and think you might need something as a back up if things get bit rough. (like if you get a flat or need to do a repair these are good to re-warm the hands if they've been exposed to the cold and wind for a while).

Shoe covers if you use a cycling shoe are great for wet and cold weather. Super cold weather, many of us opt for hiking shoe/boot and heavy duty socks.
Old 02-07-10, 07:41 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the club. I'm a little further south than you, but it does get cold here in CT. I currently ride about 20 miles into work and another 20-25 all day for work. (No I'm not some crazy messenger).

For my ride in, fleece lined cycling tights, a base layer shirt, long sleeve jersey and a windbreaker. On my feet, wool socks and my MTB shoes. My feet suffer most of all, cold after 45 mins, not sure what I can do. On my hands, I wear a fleece mitten on really cold days or a warm fleece glove on warmer days. Don't underestimate the power of having your fingers together in a mitten. On my head, a balaclava on the really cold days, otherwise a hat. Then my helmet. Perhaps the most important piece of equipment is some sort of eyewear. Protect your eyes.

Once I get to work, I change into my work clothes, since my rides around New Haven are all 10 minutes or less. I have a personal cut off of 15 degrees F. Below that, I just ride the 5 miles to the train and take that in. I too started biking when I lost my license (for a stupid fix it ticket that I didn't handle properly), now I do it because I love it. And I love cheeseburgers. Good luck, and March is on it's way. After Daylight Savings kicks in, my daily mileage goes up to 60.
Old 02-07-10, 08:04 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BigDaddyPete, I'm in the same boat with the toes. I finally caved and bought some of those "toasti toes" chemical warmers, though I'm not thrilled about the idea. have you tried those? if your entire foot is getting cold, you might try some felt insoles.

I"ve thought about boots with toe straps but they are just a bit difficult to slip into the straps when starting up from an intersection. and I have enough hills that I don't want to ride platform pedals
Old 02-07-10, 08:07 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought about them, but I looked at the cost vs. the benefit and the environmental part of it too and decided just to suffer. Next year, I'm getting different shoes, these are the ones recommended by my LBS. It's what the owner wears on his 50 mile RT commute.
Old 02-07-10, 08:11 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, bostonbiker.org is a useful community of local cyclists, with lots of resources for winter commuting. it's a little city-centric and you will probably be riding in the suburbs, but nonetheless some great info there.
Old 02-07-10, 08:52 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a blessing in disguise. 5 miles is an easy commute. you can do it if you are in any sort of decent condition. get some neoprene booties. i just bought some and they make sub 30 degree rides much more enjoyable for my toes.
Old 02-07-10, 08:55 PM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your license (care to share why?) and your job. Cyclo-commute isn't that bad. You may grow to like it too!
Old 02-07-10, 09:35 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dress so you will be cold for the first five minutes, and then you will be comfortable for the rest of the ride. It is easier to ride inclothes made of stretch fabric. Good luck!
Old 02-07-10, 10:32 PM
Ryan T

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.3 1970something Triumph road bike in need of attention

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to have to do some clothes shopping before I attempt the ride in these temps.... I have to be at work for 7:30am and tomorrows my first day at the new job so I'm going to settle for a ride but ultimately i want to bike as much as I can and just take rides when the roads are snow covered. When the bought the FX and had them put accessories I thought the rear rack was so geeky looking and didn't want one... im realizing now I'll need one to carry a change or shoes and some clothes maybe I'll have to look into them and some bags... I'm looking at about 7 months without a license so at least I'll be biking threw most of the warmer weather.... my way of staying positive now is the idea of getting back on a bike again and getting as healthy as I was at 16 when I could ride my pig of a mountain bike all day without getting tired... its just a big adjustment for me right now but I did do a ton of riding as a kid so it shouldn't be so bad.
Old 02-07-10, 10:43 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by |3iker
Sorry to hear you lost your license (care to share why?) and your job. Cyclo-commute isn't that bad. You may grow to like it too!
haha, no. he doesn't care to share why

hope you like it, man! maybe you'll find you won't even want a car in 7 months...wouldn't be the first time somebody has done that.

just...go for the 'bike commuter' look, not the 'hey. i'm not riding because i want to, i lost my license.' look (even if that is the reason) it's not that bad to lose your license, but it's sad to see those guys that really look like they did. ya know?
Old 02-07-10, 11:09 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan T
I'm going to have to do some clothes shopping before I attempt the ride in these temps.... I have to be at work for 7:30am and tomorrows my first day at the new job so I'm going to settle for a ride but ultimately i want to bike as much as I can and just take rides when the roads are snow covered. When the bought the FX and had them put accessories I thought the rear rack was so geeky looking and didn't want one... im realizing now I'll need one to carry a change or shoes and some clothes maybe I'll have to look into them and some bags... I'm looking at about 7 months without a license so at least I'll be biking threw most of the warmer weather.... my way of staying positive now is the idea of getting back on a bike again and getting as healthy as I was at 16 when I could ride my pig of a mountain bike all day without getting tired... its just a big adjustment for me right now but I did do a ton of riding as a kid so it shouldn't be so bad.
Right now is a great time to pick up a parka at a sporting goods store - I got one half off at Modell's a couple of weeks ago and it keeps my torso toasty. Best is if there's a shell and removable vest so you can strip down if you get too warm.

I got my "base layer" of stretchy pants and top at Wal-Mart for $12 apiece. You don't have to pay a ton. They have wool socks way cheap as well. If you have a pair of hiking boots just strap those on and you're reading to go.

The one place you may want to splurge is gloves, though you could try mittens (keeps your fingers touching each other, MUCH warmer).

I'd gently suggest you lose the worries about looking "geeky." That sort of attitude will keep you from doing smart things like installing a rack or fenders, and from putting tape over your helmet vents to keep you warm. People will think you are nutty enough already to be biking in the cold! If you really worry about having a perma-rack then you can get a "detachable" one like the Topeak MTX BeamRack, which clamps onto your seat post, though I have heard and seen that these wobble unlike those attached with braze-ons.

The really big help with bike commuting comes on March 14 when we get off of DST and then the sun is out until 7pm. Until then, it's commuting home in the dark (=unfun) though good to hear you got lights.

One last tip: the first few rides will feel intimidating, and you might be sore the first mile or two. KEEP GOING! You'll feel yourself "break in" and get more comfortable as you keep riding. And, as trekker pete said 5mil isn't that far (unless you have hills, like me...)
Old 02-08-10, 08:17 AM
TheLifeOfBryan
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here’s the bright side: you’re doing this at a pretty horrible time of year, so once you get through to the warmer weather ahead, you’re pre-toughened. The first winter is guaranteed to be the worst, and the general consensus ’round these parts is not to start full-time commuting in the dead of winter. By the time Spring rolls around and the rest of ’em are getting on their bikes for the first time in five months, you’ll just be coming into your own as a rider. And as you start stripping off all those extra layers, you’ll suddenly realize that you’re faster than you thought.
Old 02-08-10, 11:24 AM
corkscrew

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for the loss of the DL, but be glad bike commuting is a reward in itself.

Layer up to be cold for the first bit. Maybe look at adding a rack/pannier bags and fenders to that shiny new trek. Make sure it fits you well, although that's probably less important for your short commute.

I highly recommend thrift stores for bike clothes on the cheap. I picked up a rain/wind light jacket and a few tight fitting wool sweaters for a song, and they are working rather well. I use wool GI issue glove liners from the Army/Navy store inside my ski gloves. Not ideal but cheap and very warm.
Old 02-08-10, 12:08 PM
hshearer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My most important tips:
- get a helmet mirror
- check, or have a friend check, that you're visible on the road
- own the road (basically, drive like you're in a car, and don't yield your safety for the sake of someone eles's convenience), but share it when you can
- just let it go when someone honks/cuts you off/etc. Get a plate# if they're really giving you a hard time. Never escalate road rage.
-have fun, and enjoy the ride. It will get easier every day!
Old 02-08-10, 12:27 PM
Minerva
Lone Ranger

Bikes: Trek 7200FX(unfortunately)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ryan T,

I completely understand. I didn't lose my license, but my car died 8 months after I bought the dang thing and I had no choice but to start riding the 12 miles each way to work in September. While the physical adjustments everyone mentioned are inevitable and learning how to layer is an art form, I found the most difficult thing to transitioning to life without four wheels was emotional. I had to quickly gain a lot of self-confidence and discipline to get up every day at the crack of dawn in the middle of winter and go 12 miles without prior training, so I know what you are up against.

The good thing is, you are starting the right way and at the end of winter. You have a good commuter bike and sounds like you have the right gear. You definitely need a rear rack. Keep your shoes at your workplace if you can. Get some good bomb-proof tires to take the worry out of flats (I use the bontrager racelite hardcase that came with my trek and I haven't had a flat in years [knock on wood]). If you need a little moral support, I wrote three long posts on my cycle commute blog about how I started commuting by bicycle and the initial mistakes I made. It may give you some comfort since I am also car-free for 5 months and quite new at the carfree thing. Starting is the hardest part! The wonderful people in this forum were a godsend to me - good luck!

www.analogearth.blogspot.com

EDIT: I met another bicycle commuter last week who had lost his license. He does 16 miles each way! He was in great shape and had awesome gear. You can do it!

Last edited by Minerva; 02-08-10 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:42 PM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's a bit late in the season for it now, but hunting clothes in stores like Wal*Mart are cheap after the season is over and pretty good.

My current cold-weather gloves are so warm that I don't even START to wear them until the temps hit 0*F, and I paid $5.99 for them. They're also waterproof and blaze orange so they're pretty visible.
Old 02-08-10, 01:53 PM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nahh
just...go for the 'bike commuter' look, not the 'hey. i'm not riding because i want to, i lost my license.' look (even if that is the reason) it's not that bad to lose your license, but it's sad to see those guys that really look like they did. ya know?
It's not having the option to drive that is bad.
Old 02-08-10, 02:25 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Ryan, the first bit just give yourself a little more time and enjoy the ride at a lower pace. As you find you are able to pick up the pace without getting heavily winded or sweaty then do so. Some of the muscles will complain at first if you're not active in ways that keep them limber but take heart in the idea that it's a GOOD hurt Just go a little easier at first the next day to limber them up for a few blocks.

Winter riding is fine when it's only cold with bare roads or trails. But often there's lots of ice to go with sub freezing conditions. And this can be especially nasty in the dark of early morning rides. There are studded tires which can take a lot of the danger out of such conditions that are well worth looking at.

The bike looks like a superb city ride choice. Upright for comfort and good viz while still being aggresive enough that it'll encourage you to learn and train into this new sport/hobby I suspect that like many of us you'll see a lot less use for a DL as the bicycle miles add up. And yeah, the fenders and racks look real geeky at first. But trust us, they'll develop a beauty of practicality all their own when you're slogging home in some bad rain with a load of work clothes, groceries and a bottle of nice wine to go with the evening meal....
Old 02-08-10, 02:32 PM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the commuter club. 5 miles is a nice short commute... I ride the same distance. Longer commutes in the Winter can be channenging as you have more exposure to cold, but I've found that the 15 to 20 minutes my commute takes isn't too hard. The 1st few weeks you will find that the commute will kick you butt. It doesn't help that you have to start in the Winter, but at least Spring is getting closer every day. Take it easy. You will notice that the first few months that you won't be riding very fast. Over the next half year you will probably be able to go about 20% faster as your body gets used to the new activity and your body gets stronger.

For clothing be sure to use layers. Do NOT dress too warmly. I like a balaclava that leaves the middle of my face free for most colder winter mornings (anything in the mid 20's F and lower. For temps above that I prefer a thin but wind proof cap. There are some great specials right now at most sporting goods stores as they start to unload their winter gear. For pants I wear some wind proof cycling pants. I didn't have all my gear the 1st year, but slowly collected it. As the temps will be getting warmer slowly over the next 60 days don't go buying a lot of fancy winter gear. Get a feel for what works for you and save your money for next Fall. What ever you wear, make sure it can breath. Getting rid of excess body heat (aka sweat) is a real problem. IF you wear a heavy coat you'll be dying of over-heating before you get to work. For short rides I don't bother wearing cycing shorts. When I go for longer rides I wear cycling shorts, but for 5 miles each way I can live with it.

For taking clothing, food, etc with you I can highly recommend using a rear rack and some bags. I have a cheap set of Axium Appalachia bags. I paid less than $30 for the set of bags. I can take clean cloths with me as well as food, drink, and foul weather gear.

Enjoy and happy cycling,
André
Old 02-08-10, 02:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5232 Post(s)
Liked 3,600 Times in 2,354 Posts
nice bike!

don't ride drunk!
Old 02-08-10, 06:00 PM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice bike!

don't ride drunk!
It would be a real irony if OP lost his DL due to DUI which resulted in hitting a cyclist. Just joking of course. But stuff like this happens.

Anyhow OP, cycling commute can be fun. Stay safe.
Old 02-08-10, 07:07 PM
trekker pete
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to your local salvation army store. there are always all sorts of fleeces and windbreakers there. a balaclava, 2 fleeces, a windbreaker, sweatpants, mittens and neoprene booties will keep you toastie down into the teens at least. it really is amazing how much heat you generate while pedaling your arse off. there is absolutely no reason to drop $$$$$$ on cycle specific cold weather gear.
Old 02-08-10, 08:30 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First of all, it's great to be positive. Stay that way.

Second, you bought a great bike. I have one. It rocks.

Third, and maybe this should have been first, balaclava. I love them. Anytime I go out in the extreme cold I wear them, no matter what I'm doing. Try them on and figure out if you want a loose or tight fit, etc. Search "balaclava" on here, and you should find some advice. The best ones are versatile, letting you easily use them in any number of positions. Incredible piece of equipment.

I would also think you would want studded tires. Need them really in MA in winter.

At five miles, you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.