Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

New Lezyne lights (2023/24) - opinions/experience?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 12:31 PM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hoping to get some help from the community. I've grown tired of playing the swap-a-light game, so I'm looking for an additional light set. I have 2 bikes that I switch back and forth and only 1 set of older Dinotte lights (a 200 and a 140....I think). Due to the nature of family life, my available windows to get on the bike are limited, so when the wife says I'm good....I want to be able to grab a bike and go. I don't want to be fiddling with lights, battery packs, mounts, etc. when I'm losing daylight. I'm looking at lights that are more self-contained (no cables, no remote battery packs), easy to charge (USB), and bright enough "to see". I usually ride wooded gravel roads in the early evening, so it can be pretty dark by the time I'm back to the garage. I'm not set on Lezyne so I'm open to other makes/models, but I'm looking at these examples:

Front
Beside output, I'm guessing the biggest difference between multiple-LED and single-LED is flood versus spot light?

Rear
Is there any experience, good or bad, around these? I believe my current Dinotte front light is a 200L or less, so anything above is a step up.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-23, 04:17 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
What are your two different bikes? Would you be willing to assign one of them to "need to see" lights? If so, I think you'd be much happier with dynamo lighting. No need to think about charging, and the lights tend to put out a much more even beam.
Old 08-24-23, 06:03 PM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuevélo
What are your two different bikes? Would you be willing to assign one of them to "need to see" lights? If so, I think you'd be much happier with dynamo lighting. No need to think about charging, and the lights tend to put out a much more even beam.
I'm not interested in doing a dynamo hub (already have a nice wheelset), but if something like this is a viable option, I would consider it....a modern rim dynamo:

Product information dynamo - VELOGICAL
Old 08-24-23, 08:23 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I've never had an issue with Lezyne lights or any Lezyne product for that matter.

I had an older Lezyne 1200XXL (I think) that lasted around eight years before packing it in earlier this year. I replaced it with a newer similar model. It looks a lot like your first link.
Old 08-25-23, 06:34 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by zanq
I'm looking at lights that are more self-contained (no cables, no remote battery packs), easy to charge (USB), and bright enough "to see". I usually ride wooded gravel roads in the early evening, so it can be pretty dark by the time I'm back to the garage.
I am a big fan of Fenix lights (bike lights, flashlights, headlamps, lanterns) that use standard, easily-replaceable Li-Ion batteries. My BC30 V2.0 is fairly heavy, but that includes the pair of 18650 batteries that give it significant capacity in a self-contained package. The output levels, beam pattern, and UI work well for me. It does not have any provision for charging the batteries inside the light, but they live in a battery tray that pops out quickly and easily.

If I wanted something more compact, or wanted to mount it upside-down underneath some sort of out-front mount, then I might look at their BC26R (single 21700 battery) or BC21R V3.0 (single 18650 battery).
Old 08-25-23, 07:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,035 Posts
Lezyne are great lights in my experience. I have many; MicroDrive, Femtos, Zectos, KTVs, and StripDrive. None have ever failed, and some are over 10 years old. My Zecto rear did go wonky after I mounted it upside down and caught in a rainstorm, but it eventually dried out and after some charging cycles, is back to normal.

Anyway, Lezyne are reliable and among the best I’ve used— e.g. as good reliability as Specialized lights, way better reliability than Knog, better than Cygolite mounts— and I would recommend them.

Aside from the KTV front and rear pair, runtimes for my Lezynes have been as expected according to specs, and ample. I don’t have any that are less than 5 years old, though, but it’s reasonable to expect new ones are better/improved.

For riding dirt roads, I’d think that 600 lumens at max is plenty; the nice thing is that most of these lights, if not all, have multiple modes so that you can use a low flash when starting your ride while it’s light, and bump up to solid at increasing levels of brightness as darkness and the road demand.

as an aside, I’m a fan of Lezyne’s mini and floor pumps, too, so that makes them one of my favorite, if not the favorite, accessories brand!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-25-23, 07:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
The deal breaker is the rubber strap.
I'm not a fan of trusting that with the road rumblings.
Old 08-25-23, 07:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by cuevélo
My biggest problem with battery powered lights has always been, "are the batteries ready to go?" IME, if I try to grab and go late in the afternoon or evening, the answer is "maybe" at best. OP doesn't want to do dyno lights (for which the answer is "Sure!"), so will need to spend some time mid-day making sure rechargeable lights are topped up -- just in case.
Old 08-25-23, 07:58 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
the Fusion 600 that the OP posted looks nice. I want one.

I have an old Lezyne that uses a remote battery. I bought it from a friend. It is very nice quality, and still works as intended.
Old 08-25-23, 09:27 AM
zanq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My biggest problem with battery powered lights has always been, "are the batteries ready to go?" IME, if I try to grab and go late in the afternoon or evening, the answer is "maybe" at best. OP doesn't want to do dyno lights (for which the answer is "Sure!"), so will need to spend some time mid-day making sure rechargeable lights are topped up -- just in case.
I'm not fully opposed to dynamo lights, just not a dynamo hub since I'm not interested in buying or rebuilding a wheel and thought rim dynamos died a long time ago. Seems that I was wrong about that so I'm trying to get more info around the company I linked above. They claim to have better output over a SON hub. Overall, it would be a pricier setup so I would have to weigh the numbers, but management of batteries would be eliminated.
Old 08-25-23, 11:05 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Another fan of Lezyne. Rubber straps show zero wear or defect in many years, so I don't consider that an issue. My next purchase will probably be another rear zecto to replace the 8 yr old model I have, doesn't hold a charge very long anymore (good for 2 rides). Front is XL800 (discontinued) which has exceeded expectations.
Old 08-25-23, 11:48 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

we have Lezyne and Knog lights - good experience with both

Knog Blinder front light is worth a look - lightweight, bright, mounts easy, fairly inexpensive

( Blinder 400 cost around $50 shipped and weighs just 70 grams )

we have the Blinder 400 - I believe there is also a 600 model

Blinder 400 pictured on the Trek FX above

Last edited by t2p; 08-25-23 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-27-23, 11:41 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
this. https://www.outboundlighting.com/col...ad-bike-lights
Old 08-27-23, 08:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by rob214
I’ve been wanting one of those. I don’t need it— it’s way overkill for my needs and desires—but I want it, because it’s a seriously cool piece of kit!
Old 08-29-23, 07:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Outbound or NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800. I hardly use my single LED flashlight-type headlights anymore, other than as a backup for the Lumina Dual 1800 in case I'm out longer than 4-5 hours. On dark rural roads I'll use the single LED light on the right side of the handlebar to light up the roadside to watch for deer and other critters. The Lumina Dual 1800 beam is broad enough to cover a two lane road and some of the shoulders, but I like a little extra on the right side just to be safe.

Outbound and the NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 have proper lenses and shaped beams that put all the effective light on the road instead of the sky and trees. It's comparable to a motorcycle headlight.

They're pricey but after riding three years with the Lumina Dual 1800 it's hard to settle for my various Light & Motion 500 and single LED Lumina Micro 850 (which is intended as a short duration commuter light and won't last an hour at full brightness). L&M used to sell some broad beam lights but they weren't as effective as the Outbound and Lumina Dual 1800. The L&M lacked a lens design to shape the beam effectively.

Occasionally I've mounted two single LED lights, one on either side of the stem, but it still isn't as effective.
Old 09-10-23, 08:51 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I still swear by my dynamo setup with a Shimano 3N72 dynamo hub and a B&M CYO Premium. And I also still swear by my MagnicLight rear self contained dynamo light. The MagnicLight uses the eddy current generated by the rim passing near the magnets in the light, which then spin to power the light and totally contactless. They're always on and always ready to go so I never have to think about lights. The front light throws out a bright and wide beam with a cutoff so you don't blind anybody. It is the time of year where I used to start riding in the dark a lot more, but being retired I don't have much reason to do so anymore.

When I clicked on the link for the Velogical dynamo I thought at first it also used the eddy current but I see it is a modern version of the old bottle dynamos and makes contact. It could work well but I've never seen one.