Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement Campagnolo hub body - looking for replacement part

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 03:10 AM
mobelal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently bought a wheel set with a campagnolo hub body on CXP 30 Mavic wheels. The hub body is cracked as you might be able to see on the picture so I'd like to find a replacements and wondered if anybody knew what would be compatible on this hub body?? The hub body looks like a late 90s campy - I asked around and I was told this looks like the last production of the 9/10s and it isn't Record or Chorus as they have an aluminium solar at the left end of the adjustment bearings. To add to the question - my old wells hub body broke and I salavaged the cassette and a few other parts - my bike is set up with a campy group set for 8 speed - so ideally I'd like an 8 speed compatible free hub body.

Please let me know if any more information/ measurements would be helpful and I can post them on here.

Cheers,

Mo
Old 07-20-20, 03:11 AM
mobelal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only paste URLs and attach pictures after I have made 10 posts or more so please bear with me and I will add pictures!
Old 07-20-20, 06:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
If it's the hub shell that is cracked, replacing it will require rebuilding the wheel. Unless you do the work yourself, it may be more cost effective to replace the whole wheel.

If you do decide to rebuild the wheel, hub shells are not often found separately; you may have to buy a complete new hub. Be sure to match locknut width and spoke count with the original wheel.
Old 07-20-20, 07:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,871 Times in 2,314 Posts
More likely to find a used wheel with a bad rim.

I would also seek out Campy cassettes before rebuilding the wheel. Unfortunately these will become hen's teeth soon. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 07-20-20 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added content
Old 07-21-20, 12:58 AM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mobelal
Hello,

I recently bought a wheel set with a campagnolo hub body on CXP 30 Mavic wheels. The hub body is cracked as you might be able to see on the picture so I'd like to find a replacements and wondered if anybody knew what would be compatible on this hub body?? The hub body looks like a late 90s campy - I asked around and I was told this looks like the last production of the 9/10s and it isn't Record or Chorus as they have an aluminium solar at the left end of the adjustment bearings. To add to the question - my old wells hub body broke and I salavaged the cassette and a few other parts - my bike is set up with a campy group set for 8 speed - so ideally I'd like an 8 speed compatible free hub body.

Please let me know if any more information/ measurements would be helpful and I can post them on here.

Cheers,

Mo
Any current Campag 9/10/11/12 body (with the exception of the N3W cassette body on the new Carbon Shamal launched yesterday) will accept the 8s cassette, with a spacer behind it. Although the 9-12s spline pattern is deeper, the spline spacing is the same, so provided that you do the lockring up "tight" (i.e. to the specification, 42nm) you can replace the hub with a Campagnolo one. Current drillings are only 32H (although rear hubs only are available) but you will probably find a donor wheel out there if you want silver (current hubs are only black) or a drilling other than 32.
Old 07-21-20, 07:36 AM
mobelal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I should have been more clear in my original post - its not the hub shell thats cracked but the freehub body. Apologies for that. So ideally I want a freehub body that is compatible with my hub and is 8-speed campag compatible. Again sorry I can't post pictures yet - it will have to be tomorrow before I can.
Old 07-21-20, 07:49 AM
mobelal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo
Any current Campag 9/10/11/12 body (with the exception of the N3W cassette body on the new Carbon Shamal launched yesterday) will accept the 8s cassette, with a spacer behind it. Although the 9-12s spline pattern is deeper, the spline spacing is the same, so provided that you do the lockring up "tight" (i.e. to the specification, 42nm) you can replace the hub with a Campagnolo one. Current drillings are only 32H (although rear hubs only are available) but you will probably find a donor wheel out there if you want silver (current hubs are only black) or a drilling other than 32.
Thank you! How about the freehub body? - as I mentioned above, I realised my original post is misleading. Would it be possible to source any current 9/10/11 body (with the exception of the latest) to replace my current freehub body? Are they compatible? The axle is 17mm so it will have to be compatible with a 17mm axle, looking through the campag website I think its a 1999 Chorus freehub with the freehub body part number FH-CH215.

In theory I have couple of options;

1. Buy a freehub body that is 8 speed from eBay (either sourced as an individual component or as art of hub body/ old wheel) - but I need to know how to know this will be compatible?
2. Buy a new freehub body as you suggested - 9/10/11/ 12 and a spacer behind it - but I realise you offer your suggestion on the basis of cracked body, not freehub body. Is there a compatible new freehub body?
Old 07-21-20, 12:55 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Does your freehub body look like this:

If it does that's only the third one I've heard of cracking.

The good news is you can get a new 9/10/11/12 freehub body FH-BUU015 and use a spacer to make it work with 8 speed. The bad news is you will also need to change the axle to the cutout axle FH-BO001 to make it work. The new freehub won't go over your existing axle. In the picture below the old freehub in the the left, the new on the right. That triangular cutout prevents the axle from going in. The really bad news is the cost of the axle and the freehub is enough that you can probably pickup a new Record rear hub and strip the parts out cheaper than buying the individual parts.

Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-21-20, 02:18 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by mobelal
Thank you! How about the freehub body? - as I mentioned above, I realised my original post is misleading. Would it be possible to source any current 9/10/11 body (with the exception of the latest) to replace my current freehub body? Are they compatible? The axle is 17mm so it will have to be compatible with a 17mm axle, looking through the campag website I think its a 1999 Chorus freehub with the freehub body part number FH-CH215.

In theory I have couple of options;

1. Buy a freehub body that is 8 speed from eBay (either sourced as an individual component or as art of hub body/ old wheel) - but I need to know how to know this will be compatible?

2. Buy a new freehub body as you suggested - 9/10/11/ 12 and a spacer behind it - but I realise you offer your suggestion on the basis of cracked body, not freehub body. Is there a compatible new freehub body?

Depending on the exact age of your hub, you may only need a cassette body or, I suspect more likely, a new axle, cassette body and bearing preload collar.

RGMN has already answered in substance.

Additional to what he says, it's also worth noting that Campagnolo have also changed the thread on the preload collar.

You can buy FH-RE415 (the cassette body and axle together) but that doesn't include a preload collar Your existing one will have a different thread to the axle in the kit, since the one in the kit is the new version. The thread changed in some models in 2015 and the change has gradually permeated the whole wheel range.

Just to *really* confuse matters, historically this code was cassette body only, so don't be mised by checking the codes in older copies of the spare parts catalogues (the ones online are usually updated for changes like this).

If you are in the UK, we have stock of the parts and can supply.

If you are elsewhere, your local Service Centre or Campag ProShop will be able to assist, probably at a lower cost than ourselves as shipping, import tarrifs etc. all add significantly to the costs..

Last edited by gfk_velo; 07-21-20 at 02:46 PM.
Likes For gfk_velo:
Old 07-21-20, 02:20 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
RGMN, would it be possible to file away those flats? Or is the extra meat at that point there for strength do you think?
Old 07-21-20, 03:20 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
RGMN, would it be possible to file away those flats? Or is the extra meat at that point there for strength do you think?
It would be possible if you were very patient, yes ... it would probably be ill-advised, though. The reason they are there in the one-piece alloy bodies is to prevent cracking at the heels of the pawls.
The reason that the older two-piece bodies didn't need them (and that they are absent from the steel Shimano-fit bodies) is that the steel pawl locations have sufficient resistance to cracking that the extra material is not required.
Likes For gfk_velo: