Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

calculating braking point of test-tube

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

calculating braking point of test-tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-23, 07:10 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
calculating breaking point

I have repaired a test-tube made from carbon, Now i want to know how much force (N) is required to break the repaired point.
Is correct to proceed in this way?
Since is a tube and is pretty short i was thinking to hang up from the roof with a rope passing inside it. Then apply a bunch of weight until it breaks.
In this way the force required should be calculated
F= G*M
Were
F stand by force required
G stand for gravity acceleration
M stand for the final weight to break the tube.

It is a been a while since last time i read a physics book, would be nice if someone will help me out.
Old 05-27-23, 07:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Generally weight is in kilograms force, not mass. So you don't need the acceleration of gravity unless you are doing this test on the moon.
Old 05-27-23, 08:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
The classic way to test stuff was to make a few and try various manors of destruction.

Is the test tube a vessel a tube with one end closed to be able to hold a substance? I think of blood and a centrifuge spinning the test tube. Reason why I ask is that what this test tube is to do will have a significant impact of what type of break you are testing for. Which stress are you concerned about? Torsion, tension, shear, bending? What forces will be acting on the test tube when in use?

An interesting question but lacks much context as yet. Andy
Old 05-27-23, 09:07 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
I have repaired a test-tube made from carbon, Now i want to know how much force (N) is required to break the repaired point.
Is correct to proceed in this way?
Since is a tube and is pretty short i was thinking to hang up from the roof with a rope passing inside it. Then apply a bunch of weight until it breaks.
In this way the force required should be calculated
F= G*M
Were
F stand by force required
G stand for gravity acceleration
M stand for the final weight to break the tube.

It is a been a while since last time i read a physics book, would be nice if someone will help me out.
That's the right formula for the force in Newtons if G is in m/s-2 and M is in kilograms. But what you have here is a bending force, and that depends also on how long the tube is and where it's supported. And really for strength you need to know the force per unit area (or the "stress"). It all gets quite complicated. You'd have to find equations on wiki and all sorts. But you don't need any of this. Just break the tube. If it breaks where you've repaired it then your repair isn't good enough. If it breaks somewhere else on the original tube then you're good to go. Any repair or joint should be at least as strong as the original tube.
Old 05-27-23, 10:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I thought about testing things on my fatigue machine, but the fixturing was always the problem that stopped me from doing that. In the end it will probably break where you hang the weight. I think even with carbon, bike parts fail in fatigue. If they fail in rupture under reasonable forces, then they are actively dangerous. A fundamental aspect of fatigue is that failure occurs at loads that are smaller than yield.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-27-23, 11:24 AM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The classic way to test stuff was to make a few and try various manors of destruction.

Is the test tube a vessel a tube with one end closed to be able to hold a substance? I think of blood and a centrifuge spinning the test tube. Reason why I ask is that what this test tube is to do will have a significant impact of what type of break you are testing for. Which stress are you concerned about? Torsion, tension, shear, bending? What forces will be acting on the test tube when in use?

An interesting question but lacks much context as yet. Andy
Since its a steering tube i think the correct force may be shear and bending (probably bending is the optimal one).
Old 05-27-23, 01:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Steering tubes take a lot of bending forces.
Old 05-27-23, 01:47 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Steering tubes take a lot of bending forces.
i know. But since we are experimenting with repair methods we want to know the differences.
Old 05-28-23, 06:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
My non engineering seat of pants degree says that there's more bending forces acting on a steerer (glad to actually know what kind of test tube we are talking about) than shear ones.

Torsional forces would seem to be small too, what with a headset bearing allowing significant rotational freedom. Hub brakes however will produce some, unsure how significant WRT to the steerer as it's the blades that are usually talked about.

There is some compressive forces due to the stem clamp. A well fitted pressure plug will help counter them.

I'll be curious where this thread leads. Andy
Old 05-29-23, 09:01 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I'll be curious where this thread leads. Andy
Hopefully not to the emergency room
Likes For guy153: