Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Indoor trainer bike shopping

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 07:27 AM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

It's spring, and I want to get back on the road, but my road bike is on my trainer, and I decided I'd like to keep the trainer all year, in case of poor weather.

I am shopping a new bike, or I could put my old back bike on the road, and buy a super old bike for the trainer.

A 2010 Gary Fisher Rail with Sora is nearby for cheap (asking $200 OBO - I'm thinking $50). But is it really that cheap? Or would I put a 12 year old bike with a Sora group set on my trainer and instantly regret it ,finding now I'm trying to dispose of this thing?

I read people say "put any old bike on your trainer - it doesn't matter" but is that really true? Any put a super old bike on your trainer, only to regret it?
Old 04-11-23, 07:07 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Good call to consider another bike specifically for the trainer. I did that about 3 years ago and found it was more motivation to ride during off trainer season when I didn't have to remove it from the trainer, lug it upstairs, change the rear tire, etc....

I guess it depends on what you call old? I have a 2009 aluminum frame road bike with Shimano Tektro group set which is fine for Zwifting on. It doesn't really matter how light it is, or if the frame is stiff or whippy since it doesn't really move at all. So long as I can shift gears easily it meets my requirements.

Some people put an older steel bike with down tube shifters on their trainers and that works fine for them. I guess it's what your expectations are to determine the level of bike you want to ride on the trainer.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 04-12-23, 12:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 2,524 Posts
I have a '80s steel bike on my trainer and my only regret is the chrome plated horizontal steel dropouts. You really want something with vertical dropouts. My kickr isn't meant to handle the high QR forces needed to keep the bike from slipping on the axle. I suspect that other trainers would have similar issues, but it's possible they wouldn't

But other than that, the main issue is getting a bike that fits you.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-13-23, 03:25 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Fit is the most import, next would be consistency. I was using my old steel bike, Schwinn Prologue, with Shimano Ultegra (7 speed) friction setup and 11 speed cassette on the trainer. Front shifting was a pain and the shifter almost ran out of room on the largest cog. I tried to keep the fit as close as possible but it was never prefect (the frame was on the larger end of the spectrum). I was riding mostly in the sim mode so the the limitation got old. I switched out to one of my current vintage and now much happier.
Likes For kcjc:
Old 04-14-23, 02:15 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 789 Posts
My "old" bike, now dedicated to the trainer, is carbon fiber with Di2.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-25-23, 06:58 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I was just watching an instagram post from a local bike selling legend around my area who specializes in beautiful vintage classic bikes but also sells newer bikes through his small retail business. Anyways, the video was a bit of a rant about a nice carbon bike he picked up from a marketplace sale that went sour when he realized the carbon frame had cracks in it. His business is re-selling these bikes but he obviously couldn't do this and he was pissed at the original seller.

I thought this could be an opportunity for someone to pick up a nice bike at a great price to use exclusively as a Zwift bike. Would you consider a bike not suitable to ride on the road as a Zwift only bike?
Likes For gthomson:
Old 04-25-23, 09:10 AM
Jjbailey930

Bikes: Trek Domane, Felt Z85, CAAD 7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
OP, I do this on a Kickr Snap. Had 90s Trek with Campy but it was too small so I found a really nice Felt Z85. Replaced the seat, adjust fit, added pedals. Fit is similar to my roadie so easy to transition. Good luck!
Old 05-04-23, 05:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 2,524 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I thought this could be an opportunity for someone to pick up a nice bike at a great price to use exclusively as a Zwift bike. Would you consider a bike not suitable to ride on the road as a Zwift only bike?
Depending on where the cracks are, I probably wouldn't use a cracked carbon frame on my trainer. I am pretty sure they put at least marginally more strain on the frame than riding it outdoors does
Old 05-04-23, 06:52 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I just upgraded to a Kickr bike. So I could get rid of all the. Ike issues chain gearing
So many gearing choices and you don’t have to maintain anything. Just get on the bike a ride.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 05-04-23, 08:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
Get something that fits you and shifts well. I ended up putting my Ti bike (1996 Merckx Titanium Ex) on the trainer because I didn't want all the sweat to corrode my pretty steel Colnago from the late 80's/early 90's. Feel kind of silly with my lighter bike on the trainer where it doesn't matter, but it also fits me a bit better and it's where I spend almost all of my miles.

Old 05-05-23, 09:48 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 698 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Depending on where the cracks are, I probably wouldn't use a cracked carbon frame on my trainer.
If the frame fails catastrophically, you hit the floor a whole lot slower, and cars don’t run you over.
I’d use a slightly damaged frame as long as it wasn’t going to impale me.

Barry