Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10-speed Campy Cassette installation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 10:17 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

Hello. I'm installing a 10-speed Campy cassette on a Miche hub. It appears to be on correctly as the spacing between sprockets looks good, but the final sprocket doesn't fit as deep on the freehub body as I was expecting. It is in the notches, but not completely in them. Is that normal? I would have expected them to be more flush. Here is an image:
Old 12-10-22, 10:22 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
That looks pretty decent to me. As long as your lock ring is snug and you have no play in the cassette, you’ve installed the system correctly.

If anything, typically the lost cog will barely sit on the free hub splines. Once you get the lock ring on, that’s when the cogs compress appropriately along the free hub body.
Old 12-10-22, 10:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Yes, it's normal and absolutely HAS to be this way. Having the cassette overhang slightly allows the lockring compress the cassette instead of bottoming against the freehub.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-11-22, 08:38 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Thank you for the replies! Glad it's right.
Old 12-13-22, 07:37 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Like the others have said that looks correct. I will add that you must have the lock ring torqued properly. If it is too loose you will have some very strange shifting issues - it will work fine one direction but not the other, later it will work right the other direction but not the original direction. If the lockring is too tight you can pull the threads out of the freehub or split the freehub. This is more of a problem if you have the steel lockring.