Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone collect Cyclocross bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 09:54 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts

I don't believe I've ever seen a collection of C&V cyclocross bikes. Lots of road bike collections, and vintage MTB is really exploding now, so why no CX? Even C&V track bikes seem to have a larger following.

Just too small of a niche? It seems like CX didn't become popular in the USA until the mid-late 1990s? So not enough bikes in the available market to get people interested?

I suppose it's also the fact that the bikes themselves were so much more likely to become degraded from use as racing machines and discarded to the scrap heap when the time came. It's amusing that the Speed Bicycles "museum" has 300+ classic road bikes, 60+ classic track bikes and...7 classic CX bikes.

Anyone want to weigh in? Are there CX bike collectors?

I ask because I'm interested in collecting myself. Resources are scare and much of what I've been able to find is generally exclusive to the USA despite a much more developed CX-scene in Europe and the UK. I understand for many and for a long time, cyclocross bikes were just their road bikes maybe fitted with knobbie tubulars - but I've seen branded and specific CX designs from the 50s and 60s so the niche was at least active then if not as well-developed as later periods.

Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 04-08-24, 10:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3902 Post(s)
Liked 4,848 Times in 2,236 Posts
It would be rather unique.
My guess = Euro centric if going back to '80s and prior, and filled with bikes from small builders.

Being USA, an early Richard Sachs (of any type) would be classic.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-08-24 at 10:24 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-08-24, 10:26 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,636 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
...I suppose it's also the fact that the bikes themselves were so much more likely to become degraded from use as racing machines and discarded to the scrap heap when the time came...
Didn't those 80's CrossX frames end up becoming Gravel Bikes in the late 90's?
Old 04-08-24, 10:48 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
I’ve often wondered why we don’t see more interest in cyclocross bikes but then I figured its mostly because for quite awhile, standard bikes were used including by the greats into the 60s and 70s.

Likes For Markeologist:
Old 04-08-24, 10:57 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
[QUOTE=Markeologist;23209362]I’ve often wondered why we don’t see more interest in cyclocross bikes but then I figured its mostly because for quite awhile, standard bikes were used including by the greats into the 60s and 70s.

This. We used what we had.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 04-08-24, 11:03 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
I think Eddie and Jacques were probably on bikes that were built as cyclocross bikes, but I think you're right that they were just treaked versions of their road bikes. On the original post question, I think it's a little bit of everything they guessed. There are far fewer cross bikes, they were treated harshly ( I raced on a Kona Jake The Snake for a couple of years and then did one super muddy race IN the pouring rain, and the paint was ruined in that one race), probably put away dirty as deep winter was settling in, and rusted and seized by the next summer. Also, they were probably used as get around bikes after their cross days, much more than old race bikes. And then, there probably are owners of Erik DeVlaeminck, or Adri VDP cross bikes who have them squirreled away. One thing I've learned is that lots of collector's are pretty private about their collections. Almost secretive.
Likes For AngryFrankie:
Old 04-08-24, 11:04 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
[QUOTE=3speedslow;23209367]
Originally Posted by Markeologist
I’ve often wondered why we don’t see more interest in cyclocross bikes but then I figured its mostly because for quite awhile, standard bikes were used including by the greats into the 60s and 70s.

This. We used what we had.
…and your point is (if different than what I just stated and why I posted these specific photos)?
Old 04-08-24, 11:10 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
That we don’t have CX bikes to collect cause we repurpose what we had.

Im agreeing with you.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 04-08-24, 11:30 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 507 Times in 162 Posts
I neither want nor need m/any more road bicycles, but an all-steel Ritchey SwissCross or RSCX would be very useful acquisitions…
Old 04-08-24, 11:58 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
…and your point is?
He replied, “This,” common parlance used to express agreement—id est, you are correct, +1, what he said, ditto, et cetera.

And I agree with you, too. In the 80s, I re-purposed a couple old road frames for winter cyclocross riding. One winter I even re-purposed a crash-damaged Vitus 979 frame as possibly one of the worst cyclocross bikes. It was an ill-conceived plan, and I was a no-nothing, broke teenager clueless enough to pinch the stays on an aluminum frame for added tire clearance. It did last the winter and it was a light burden over the shoulder. I think my dad eventually scrapped the frame after I moved away to college—the fate of my first-ever race bike/frame, and probably for the best.

A friend of mine used to race an A.L.A.N. cyclocross bike. When he speaks of it, he gets a twinkle in his eye.

Last edited by gaucho777; 04-09-24 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 12:29 AM
jPrichard10 

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
I would love a 70s or 80s CX bike from a no-name low country builder. But how would I ever find such a frame?

Much easier to search for the names I know. And the names I do know are going to fetch far too high a price for me.
Old 04-09-24, 12:40 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,622 Times in 1,769 Posts
Interesting subject. Paging fabiofarelli !

Old 04-09-24, 07:37 AM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by zandoval
Didn't those 80's CrossX frames end up becoming Gravel Bikes in the late 90's?
Truth here and I think most of the 80s and 90s CX bikes hung around not doing much - ridden as road bikes, turned into townies or commuters - until the boom in 2020, and then they all became gravel bikes.

Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
I think Eddie and Jacques were probably on bikes that were built as cyclocross bikes, but I think you're right that they were just treaked versions of their road bikes. On the original post question, I think it's a little bit of everything they guessed. There are far fewer cross bikes, they were treated harshly ( I raced on a Kona Jake The Snake for a couple of years and then did one super muddy race IN the pouring rain, and the paint was ruined in that one race), probably put away dirty as deep winter was settling in, and rusted and seized by the next summer. Also, they were probably used as get around bikes after their cross days, much more than old race bikes. And then, there probably are owners of Erik DeVlaeminck, or Adri VDP cross bikes who have them squirreled away. One thing I've learned is that lots of collector's are pretty private about their collections. Almost secretive.
This is also a good point. I've been doing a bit more research here on the forum and there's probably a couple-few members with CX collections but they stay pretty mum unless answering specific questions. Maybe we'll see more as time goes on.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 04-09-24, 07:48 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 447 Posts
occasionally I'll see a vintage cx bike in one of my Masters 60+ races. I dig it.
Old 04-09-24, 09:03 AM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
I recently acquired a '90s Colnago CX from a friend who bought it new. Not the Colnago I was looking for, but the price was right, just had to pay the cost of having boxed and shipped. It came with a Campy 3x9 mix of Veloce and Mirage with Shimano cantilever brakes. The first thing I did was check if 700X40s gravel tires would fit...now planning to upgrade it to a 10 or 11 speed x2.
Old 04-09-24, 09:09 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,284 Posts
I have a Mondia that was set up for cyclocross when I got it . I guess because of the wide tire clearance on them , they were used for this purpose . I have it set up for road now, much better riding bike than before . I don't do gravel or any of that but I still have the wider wheels and tires if I ever wanted to.

1972 Mondia Special , as purchased

Present set up for road , more my style!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-09-24, 09:24 AM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 175 Posts
I have this CX bike. The first time MTB type bikes were raced in a USCF National was 1981. This bike and 2 others built by Tom Ritchey were in the race. This bike is right at 20 pounds!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXb2bSaVigXyq1Cj7

Story about this bike is here: https://goo.gl/photos/3VEoy152KiH3dLp9A

Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 04-09-24, 09:33 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,015 Times in 1,112 Posts
They are very hard to find. I would love 1. I almost got a Pinarello 1x5 speed but was too late. My CX bike is my Milwaukee Road with long reach BR650 brakes. No good for mud but good for SoCal CX. A future project is to put canti bosses on my PA-10E and race again.
Please note: A CX bike is any bike that you use to race CX.
Old 04-09-24, 09:33 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
This is also a good point. I've been doing a bit more research here on the forum and there's probably a couple-few members with CX collections but they stay pretty mum unless answering specific questions. Maybe we'll see more as time goes on.
We do have a World Champion CXer on Bike Forums. Perhaps we can get him to comment. @Andy_K, what say ye on the subject?

Originally Posted by seagrade
I neither want nor need m/any more road bicycles, but an all-steel Ritchey SwissCross or RSCX would be very useful acquisitions…
Love my all steel (now that I built a new fork for it) Ritchey Breakaway CX. It's a great credit card tourer/gravel bike/all arounder.

Old 04-09-24, 09:53 AM
DanBikeFan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
I love old cyclocross bikes! I have the rare cyclocross version of the Vitus 787, with cantilever brakes. It's very light, and rides great. Even the violet anodizing was ahead of its time! By modern standards the tire clearance is very limited though, it clears 33mm cyclocross tires, but not much more. I have never seen the ALAN aluminum cyclocross frames in person, but my impression is that they went further than Vitus in modifying the frame, with ovalized top tubes, all cables above the top tube, etc.

Of all the large manufacturers, Gitane consistently made a cyclocross frame for many years, the "country". For at least a couple years they included a brazed-on metal shoulder rest. The frame is all Reynolds 531, with Huret honeycomb dropouts. I covet one of those bikes, but have never seen one in my size (apart from the forbidden fruit of Leboncoin).
Old 04-09-24, 10:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I think one reason why you don't see many threads on vintage cross bikes is because they're really hard to find. I'm sitting on a Pinarello cross frame I need to build up. This is how the bike came to me in the "wild." Maybe this thread will get me motivated!

Last edited by bikemig; 04-09-24 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-09-24, 10:38 AM
Spoonrobot 

Nice pics and comments so far. Interesting discussion about the relative rarity and the ability of contemporary road bikes in the 60s/70s being able to take enough tire to work fine. It seems the UK was much less enthused with specific CX bikes and lagged behind French and the Low Countries in development. Looking at Cycling covers on eBay it seems that if the event pictured is in the UK the cyclists often have regular center pulls. Elsewhere more cantilevers. Perhaps not the most rigorous observation but something interesting to me.

Originally Posted by DanBikeFan
I love old cyclocross bikes! I have the rare cyclocross version of the Vitus 787, with cantilever brakes. It's very light, and rides great. Even the violet anodizing was ahead of its time! By modern standards the tire clearance is very limited though, it clears 33mm cyclocross tires, but not much more. I have never seen the ALAN aluminum cyclocross frames in person, but my impression is that they went further than Vitus in modifying the frame, with ovalized top tubes, all cables above the top tube, etc.

Of all the large manufacturers, Gitane consistently made a cyclocross frame for many years, the "country". For at least a couple years they included a brazed-on metal shoulder rest. The frame is all Reynolds 531, with Huret honeycomb dropouts. I covet one of those bikes, but have never seen one in my size (apart from the forbidden fruit of Leboncoin).
Found one of these on pedal room - Wow

Originally Posted by Classtime
Please note: A CX bike is any bike that you use to race CX.
The forced split between MTB/flat bars and "road-style" dropbar bikes is interesting because it illustrates the road/offroad divide in a funny way. Why would anyone use dropbars (and limited to ~33mm tires) unless the rules said so? Makes sense the governing body would want to keep them seperate. More than a few early flat-bar hybrids were designed with CX geometry and ended up as racing machines anyway.

Took me a second to remember but Dave Moulton has some really good posts on mid-century CX in the UK/Europe. Interesting rundown of the small but relevant changes a CX-specific bike might have had back then: https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...clo-cross.html

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 04-09-24 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 11:32 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,721 Times in 2,614 Posts
I've had a few vintage cx bikes over the years, and in all of those cases, at least, the BB height was crazy high, far out of the range I find comfortable.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-09-24, 11:55 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,015 Times in 1,112 Posts
There is no concensus CX geometry. 73-73 with 70mm BB drop is average. Road bike stuff.
Old 04-09-24, 12:25 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 305 Posts
I do not have a CX collection but I am happy to have one in the "collection".

Amature World Champion and then turned pro, John Talen, had this bike made for him at Merckx.

Likes For styggno1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.