Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is Nitanium Richey Logig Specialized MTB !?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 05:16 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 643 Posts

This nice bike which is not mine turned up at the local thrift in Fairplay CO for a cheap price $200 or less for full info. Ritchey ll
ogic Nitaniuam tubed Spwcialized MTB. Does any one have info on this odd top end MTB or know what OS Nitaniuam is. The bike has mix of top end LX Ritchey logic components except for the crappy seat and pedals.

Old 11-28-23, 05:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12845 Post(s)
Liked 7,769 Times in 4,119 Posts
It's not the top of Specialized range, but very nice.

The Logic Nitanium tubing is a steel, I think he started with cromoly and added some Niobium and Titanium to the mix.

I'll see if I can dig up the catalog for that year's Rockhoppers.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 11-28-23, 05:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12845 Post(s)
Liked 7,769 Times in 4,119 Posts
Welp, no dice on finding the catalog.

Here's the bikepedia page though.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=88847
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 11-28-23, 06:13 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
There was also "genius" tubing

and Ibis "Moron" - more on the ends

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-28-23, 06:37 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 643 Posts
Based on a none science ping test and weight I can tell it is some kinda of OS hard tempered metal similar to 753 or Tange Ultra . It's hard and the bike curbs at 24 or so with nice suspension fork as is and has a OS 30 something seat post. So really light for a vintage MTB with a OS seat post made 90's. If it was my size it would be mine.

Last edited by zukahn1; 11-28-23 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 02:49 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 287 Posts
The Nitanium Logic tubing was spec'd by Ritchey and made by... Tange? True Temper? I forget, and it may have varied anyway.

Anywho, it was a high-strength, heat-treated steel with Ritchey's thickness and butting profile.

I've always thought that "Nitanium" was Tom Ritchey-speak for "N(ot t)itanium." In other words, it was a dig. Which Tom Ritchey was, and is, known for doing. As was Scott Nichol of Ibis, (AWKA "Chuck Ibis" for reasons that I cannot recall,) he of the Moron tubing, Hakkalugi frameset, and Handjob cable stop.

I didn't know that Ritchey ever allowed anyone else to use the stuff, but Mike Sinyard could certainly have offered him sufficient... incentives... to do so. And nobody has ever diagnosed Tom Ritchey with an allergy to money.

All that said, that's likely to be about as nice of a production steel mountain bike as was being made back then. LX drivetrain, with a Specialized-branded Sugino "hidden bolt" crankset. (I forget the model number, but they were cold-forged, quite light, hella strong, and looked great.) I had the "Ritchey Logic"-branded version on a Cannondale touring bike, and Riv sold them for years. Great crankset.

--Shannon

PS: "AWKA" = "Also Wrongly Known As"
Old 12-03-23, 10:57 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 658 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
There was also "genius" tubing

and Ibis "Moron" - more on the ends

/markp

Genius tubing was made and introduced by Columbus in 1991/1992 it was also used in Mountain Bike frames by Peugeot, Binachi,American Eagle and other brands
Old 12-03-23, 10:59 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 658 Posts
It is a very good deal for the money , just change the saddle and the chain and you have a nice bike
Old 12-03-23, 12:42 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
The Nitanium Logic tubing was spec'd by Ritchey and made by... Tange? True Temper? I forget, and it may have varied anyway.

Anywho, it was a high-strength, heat-treated steel with Ritchey's thickness and butting profile.
I'm pretty sure it was Tange. I think all the Logic tubing was Tange.

Originally Posted by ShannonM
Scott Nichol of Ibis, (AWKA "Chuck Ibis" for reasons that I cannot recall,) he of the Moron tubing, Hakkalugi frameset, and Handjob cable stop.
PS: "AWKA" = "Also Wrongly Known As"
"Chick Ibis" was a psuedonym that Scott used to be able to write articles or letters to the editor. If you paid attention, you knew who it really was (particularly since he owned the bike company Ibis!). But it let him have a veneer of deniability when he was being critical of products or industry practices in the early mountain biking era. By the time mountain biking matured a bit and most products were pretty good, he dropped it. But people remembered it. So "wrongly known as" seems like an odd description.
Old 12-03-23, 12:57 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 1,634 Times in 1,076 Posts
When it comes to MTB frames, either they are stiff enough to function, light and have decent geometry - or they don't. Unlike road bikes designed for 23c tires, the 'qualities' of the frame tubing are completely immaterial to the feel and use of a bike with with 2" tires.

This bike has many nice details that will increase the joy of ownership. But if the bike is, say, heavy compared to a similarly priced classic MTB, the details become somewhat immaterial.
Old 12-03-23, 05:59 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
I had a Nitanium framed TiCycles bike and did a little digging: "Nitanium is a special hybrid non-heat-treated form of Chromoly steel that contains trace elements of Titanium and Niobium" with claimed weights close to aluminum
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...le-frames.html