Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

garmin edge explore

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 07:53 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
garmin edge explore

I recently decided to get a device for gps it is always handy on a bike. Does anybody else have this device and know of any tips or tricks for using it? I see that it has an auto generate course function, Ive read online that some ways it takes you are on dangerous roads when it could be choosing a better bike route. Is this true? Should I return it and pick the more expensive model.
Old 05-02-21, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Any device can put you on dangerous roads. You still have to lift your head up from looking at the map on the device and assess the conditions in front of you. Map data is amalgamated from many different sources. Not all of those sources update the current conditions of those roads and paths that were put in years ago.

As for if you got the right device for you I don't know. I pick my device by the features I need now or think I may soon want. Then I consider what price range I want to be in and what brands have units that fit my needs and wants.

If you know noting about using a gps device then the Edge Explore might be a good inexpensive way to get familiar with the devices so you can decide what you really want in the future. But don't expect it or any other to pick the perfect route for you to travel.
Old 05-02-21, 08:57 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
^^^^ This is very true. Not only that, but sometimes there is no perfect route, but only the best available route, which may be terrible. And even if the artificial intelligence device says that you should turn right, there may not be a road where it says there's a road.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 05-02-21, 04:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pretty much every device like this is going to suck at internally creating a bike friendly route for you. The software just isn’t smart enough to know what humans know about the roads and their suitability for cycling. Some can query online resources such as Strava’s heat map, or Garmins Popularity Routing, which looks at the existing data as of roads others have cycled on. It’s really hit and miss as to quality though.

Your best bet is to look at those routes others have posted, maybe do a Google Earth examination to determine if there’s a shoulder, etc…. A generality is a 2 lane each direction is going to have traffic moving faster, so bear that in mind.

I use Ride With GPS to generate routes for areas I am unfamiliar with, I then save and port the route to the device. Others use Kamoots, or Strava, etc.. There’s an app you can add to the Explore from the Garmin iQ store that will use your phones BT connection and wither WiFi or cell data to find those routes you e created on the RWGPS website. It’s a quick download to the device and you can navigate a route you’ve created.

And no, don’t exchange the unit. The Garmin 1030 @$600 is no better at internally generating bike routes. You have a good unit, just learn to use it.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-02-21 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-02-21, 07:10 PM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I wouldn't use any GPS to generate a route for me. I use RideWithGPS to create routes. It now has a heat map so you can see where others ride and also has street view so you can look at the street without switching back and forth between RWGPS and Google.You can link your RWGPS account to your Garmin account then if you pin a route it will transfer to your Explore, You can pin it from your computer or phone. If you are out somewhere and would like a different route you can search for one someone else has in RWGPS on your phone or use the RWGPS mobile planer on your phone, then pin it so it will transfer to your Explore.
Old 05-03-21, 11:55 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I recently decided to get a device for gps it is always handy on a bike. Does anybody else have this device and know of any tips or tricks for using it? I see that it has an auto generate course function, Ive read online that some ways it takes you are on dangerous roads when it could be choosing a better bike route. Is this true? Should I return it and pick the more expensive model.
People generally plan the route/course on a website like Ridewithgps or Garmin Connect. One can download the route/course file and have the Garmin (most of them) to follow it.

The on-device routing is a nice feature to have but it's hard to do. One issue is that different people have different opinions about what constitutes a "good" bicycle route.
Old 05-04-21, 12:37 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I would get the 530/830 with popularity routing. It will reroute you on the fly based on routes that are popular with other cyclists.
Old 05-04-21, 01:13 PM
mibike

Originally Posted by Elvo
I would get the 530/830 with popularity routing. It will reroute you on the fly based on routes that are popular with other cyclists.
The Explore also has Garmin's Trendline popularity routing. So all it will get the OP is a smaller screen for more money but not better routing. Unless there is something else on the 530 and 830 the OP would like it's not a good option.
Old 05-04-21, 01:31 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by mibike
The Explore also has Garmin's Trendline popularity routing. So all it will get the OP is a smaller screen for more money but not better routing. Unless there is something else on the 530 and 830 the OP would like it's not a good option.
The 530/830 is also a lot faster at calculating and recalculating routes but yes the screen is smaller
Old 06-30-21, 03:26 PM
Hibonite

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have any idea when Garmin is planning to release an updated Explore. The current one is approaching 4 years old isn't?
Old 06-30-21, 04:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Hibonite
Does anyone have any idea when Garmin is planning to release an updated Explore. The current one is approaching 4 years old isn't?
I mean yes, lets get a new device with new features that work part of the time, as per the usual Garmin MO.
Old 06-30-21, 05:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Hibonite
Garmin is tight lipped about all their new releases. You'll be lucky to know a week ahead of time.

Why didn't your start a new thread since you had a different question than the OP?
Old 07-09-21, 08:36 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
......I use Ride With GPS to generate routes for areas I am unfamiliar with, I then save and port the route to the device. Others use Kamoots, or Strava, etc.. There’s an app you can add to the Explore from the Garmin iQ store that will use your phones BT connection and wither WiFi or cell data to find those routes you e created on the RWGPS website. It’s a quick download to the device and you can navigate a route you’ve created.
Steve, which app is this? I still don't see anything for the Edge Explore/RWGPS. I've been putting routes onto the device via laptop and it can be a PIA.
Old 07-09-21, 08:47 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Steve, which app is this? I still don't see anything for the Edge Explore/RWGPS. I've been putting routes onto the device via laptop and it can be a PIA.
RWGPS never released their app for the Explore (or the 1030+ for that matter).

There's another IQ app (GRouteLoader) that does the same thing. (There is an "app" version and a "widget" version.**)

The simplest approach is to pin the route you are interested in in RWGPS and the pinned routes show up in the app. Your most-recent routes are also shown.

Note that you can pin any route (not just yours). This means you can avoid copying routes to just be able to use them.

(The idea is to not have too many pins. That is, you should unpin rides after a while.)

===================================

** IQ "widgets" can be used during an activity (recording a ride). IQ "apps" can't be used during an activity.

You access IQ "widgets" by swiping down from the top of screen and then using the < and > buttons at the bottom to move between them. You exit the widget list by clicking on the ^ button at the bottom.

You access IQ "apps" by using the IQ button on the home screen.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-09-21 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 09:04 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Yeah, the Garmin iQ site doesn't make it easy to find. The app is called RouteCourse.
Old 07-09-21, 10:42 AM
mibike

Originally Posted by njkayaker
RWGPS never released their app for the Explore (or the 1030+ for that matter).

There's another IQ app (GRouteLoader) that does the same thing. (There is an "app" version and a "widget" version.**)

The simplest approach is to pin the route you are interested in in RWGPS and the pinned routes show up in the app. Your most-recent routes are also shown.

Note that you can pin any route (not just yours). This means you can avoid copying routes to just be able to use them.

(The idea is to not have too many pins. That is, you should unpin rides after a while.)

===================================

** IQ "widgets" can be used during an activity (recording a ride). IQ "apps" can't be used during an activity.

You access IQ "widgets" by swiping down from the top of screen and then using the < and > buttons at the bottom to move between them. You exit the widget list by clicking on the ^ button at the bottom.

You access IQ "apps" by using the IQ button on the home screen.
+1 on the simplest approach is to pin the route you are interested in in RWGPS. I have my RWGPS account and Garmin account linked so any route I pin from my phone or computer will load on my GPS (1030+). My wife doesn't care about uploading her rides so I have her GPS (Explore) set to not upload and have it on my Garmin account. When I pin a route it loads on both of our GPSs.

I have tried different IQ apps including GRouteLoader. Pining the route is less steps and easier. Also you can load any route you have access to. I'm a member of 3 clubs that have RWGPS club accounts that have member only routes. I can pin them and they load. With GRouteLoader it will only load public routes so I couldn't load them.
Old 07-09-21, 11:22 AM
njkayaker

With GRouteLoader it will only load public routes so I couldn't load them.
No, that's not true. GRouteLoader logs you into RWGPS and lets you use any routes you have access to (it's actually RWGPS that is letting you): your private routes, your member-only club routes, manager-only club routes (if you are a manager in the club), and public routes. (I also just verified it.)

+1 on the simplest approach is to pin the route you are interested in in RWGPS. I have my RWGPS account and Garmin account linked so any route I pin from my phone or computer will load on my GPS (1030+). My wife doesn't care about uploading her rides so I have her GPS (Explore) set to not upload and have it on my Garmin account. When I pin a route it loads on both of our GPSs.
It's this linking that might be behind RWGPS not providing their app on more units.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-09-21 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 11:33 AM
mibike

Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, that's not true. GRouteLoader logs you into RWGPS and lets you use any routes you have access to: your private routes, your member-only club routes, manager-only club routes (if you are a manager in the club), and public routes. (I also just verified it.)
It must have been updated then. Not a surprise apps are always being updated. When I was using it would only load public routes even if the route was in your account.
Old 07-09-21, 11:45 AM
njkayaker

It must have been updated then. Not a surprise apps are always being updated. When I was using it would only load public routes even if the route was in your account.
There is a way of loading routes by number. That doesn't require a RWGPS account. If you don't provide the app with your RWGPS account, it can only download public routes (which makes sense).

Accessing your pinned routes requires your RWGPS account. If you were using the pinned-routes list, you were able to download any route you have access to (not just the public ones). (I suspect you were not using the pinned-route list.)