Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

De Rosa (Neo?) Primato - interesting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-22, 06:25 PM
escuta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
De Rosa (Neo?) Primato - interesting?

Hi Forum,

I've been looking for a steel frame road bike that I can gradually tinker with to get to a good state. I've come across a De Rosa Primato which has some fairly average looking fittings but is going for a low price and looks like it might be a good a project. The seller says that it has been in storage for 30 years, but I wonder if people here can judge the age? The seller also claims it's a size 54. To me it looks larger and I am looking for something between 57 and 60 as I am 187cm tall (6ft 1.6). I live in a country where it is difficult to find larger sized frames - my current bike is 59 - a good size but I think I could go a little smaller if necessary. The breaks are dura ace and the rear derailleur is Shimano Sora.

So my questions are: Is this a good quality and reasonably light de Rosa frame (or were later models of lower quality)? What do you think the size is, really a 54? What age is it? Are the forks steel but simply unthreaded and could I replace the stem with a quill stem? Worth getting!?

I'll attach the photos. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-19-22, 08:02 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I’m no De Rosa expert but my first reaction was the forks were a threadless replacement. Then I saw other examples online with this same fork style and quill stems. I’m now thinking this is the original fork with a threadless adapter and black spacers.

Size looks like a 57/58 to me. I’m 6’1” and have several bikes this size but have to make them work. Guessing you’ll need to do the same. Long seatpost and 90 degree quill stem with 120-130 reach works for me.
Likes For plonz:
Old 06-20-22, 02:51 PM
escuta

Originally Posted by plonz
I’m no De Rosa expert but my first reaction was the forks were a threadless replacement. Then I saw other examples online with this same fork style and quill stems. I’m now thinking this is the original fork with a threadless adapter and black spacers.

Size looks like a 57/58 to me. I’m 6’1” and have several bikes this size but have to make them work. Guessing you’ll need to do the same. Long seatpost and 90 degree quill stem with 120-130 reach works for me.
Thanks, yes, there are some de Rosas, apparently from 1995, which have sloping sided forks, so that matches the amount of time it was in storage and later models from the 2000s with threadless stems. I think it may have been painted as the decal on the front of the bike is missing the diamond which seems to be otherwise universal and the other decals just don't look very good at all. The frame though, looks right to me.

Edit. Although the seat stay looks thicker than than a 1995, so maybe it's newer.

Last edited by escuta; 06-20-22 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-20-22, 06:21 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by escuta

Edit. Although the seat stay looks thicker than than a 1995, so maybe it's newer.

if it’s a Primati it may very well be EL-OS tubing so will be a little bigger diameter
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-22-22, 07:38 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Hard to judge the size but based on the HT I would say it is not your size. Keep looking.
I have a Colnago that is too small that rarely gets ridden because of its size. Better to have one that fits.

I don't think you can go wrong with a De Rosa of any level.
Old 06-22-22, 08:31 AM
escuta

Originally Posted by SJX426
Hard to judge the size but based on the HT I would say it is not your size. Keep looking.
I have a Colnago that is too small that rarely gets ridden because of its size. Better to have one that fits.

I don't think you can go wrong with a De Rosa of any level.
Thanks. Yesterday, I actually did a comparison with a photo of my Principia (taken before lowering the stem), scaling the photos so that the wheels matched. Allowing for error, I think the size is pretty compatible.

For various reasons, I'm going to stop myself from buying or asking questions until the beginning of next month. If it's still there, I'll then make some checks as to the bike's history. serial numbers, etc.