Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Muscle cramps in adductors

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Muscle cramps in adductors

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-21, 05:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Muscle cramps may be a "mystery", but it's only a mystery because the average guy doesn't know how to prevent them. But cramps are not a mystery to science.

Let's take a look at how muscle contractions work, and a person may get cramps.

1) Muscle contractions need proper level of key ions, particularly calcium ions, to work. When calcium ions are depleted, then muscles become stiff (aka, cramps). It's one reason why dead body are stiff. So factor #1, keep the electrolytes leveled in your body. How to do can varied in individuals.

2) trained versus untrained muscles. There is a reason why untrained people get more cramps than trained ones. The trained person not only has a better cardio system, but the training process also train his physiology down to the chemical reactions, aka better mobolization of utilizatin of electrolytes. Trained person also tend to have bigger muscle fiber allowing him to do more work while still not straining any "localized" region of a muscle (which could induce cramps). So if you're untrained, you need to allow your body to up regulate your physiology apparatus. Keep practicing but go all out, this will not induce cramps too early

3) Then there is the case of highly trained athletes still gettting cramps. Simply put, no matter how trained you are, you CAN still push your body beyond its limits. In this case, nothing will prevent cramps except to back off.

4) it seems that people with more fast twitch muscles (aka, the "muscular" guys) can do more short and explosive work, but they also tend to get more cramps when asked to do less explosive work but over a longer duration. To a great extend, fast/slow twitch fiber ratio composition is a "genetic" thing, not much you can do about it, i mean endurance training does help to convert some fast twitch to slow twitch fibers, but it won't be a game-changer compared to someone borned with a high ratio of slow twitch fibers. It's why bigger guys tend to cramp sooner than the skinny guys. Also, skinny people (eg, if you lose weight) have a higher proportion of vascularity compare to heavier people, so if you're heavy, then losing weight will effectively raise your vascularity, and more being more vascular means more blood supply to muscles, which could delat the onset of cramps. You never see a "highly tuned" endurance athlete who is fat or heavy.

#1 is completely useless and dubious science. I have no idea how someone is supposed to "level" their electrolytes, whatever that means. Does that involve constant blood tests or something? I just hope no one reads what you wrote and starts downing calcium, that's a good way to give yourself kidney stones and a bunch of other painful stuff. I'm not saying avoid eating foods with calcium in them, but avoid the supplements and antacids which will put more calcium in you than can be absorbed.
Old 06-12-21, 08:31 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
See your doctor and make sure its nothing serious, barring that I'd suggest a magnesium supplement. I an doing keto and one of the side effects is a lack of magnesium. I take a magnesium supplement on top of the other supplements I take and I don't get cramps. Hope that helps!
yeah, Keto was BAD for me and muscle cramps.

Hard alcohol also bad for me. I can handle a beer if hydrated first.
Old 06-12-21, 10:46 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
#1 is completely useless and dubious science. I have no idea how someone is supposed to "level" their electrolytes, whatever that means. Does that involve constant blood tests or something? I just hope no one reads what you wrote and starts downing calcium, that's a good way to give yourself kidney stones and a bunch of other painful stuff. I'm not saying avoid eating foods with calcium in them, but avoid the supplements and antacids which will put more calcium in you than can be absorbed.
If I say that the majority of body mass is made of water, and that you need to keep yourself hydrated during exercise, then most people will surely understand what I'm talking about, and that they will not down 1 gallon of water in one gulp, right? People are not that stupid, ya know. The science is not dubious. Only those who don't understand it say so.
Old 06-13-21, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If I say that the majority of body mass is made of water, and that you need to keep yourself hydrated during exercise, then most people will surely understand what I'm talking about, and that they will not down 1 gallon of water in one gulp, right? People are not that stupid, ya know. The science is not dubious. Only those who don't understand it say so.
The whole electrolyte and exercise cramping connection is really weakly supported scientifically,but let's just assume it's right despite all indications that cramps can and do occur when people's electrolytes are fine.
So, your big advice is driink enough but not too much water. OK?

Trust me, Columbo, you haven't cracked the case here. The triggers are not well understood.
Old 06-13-21, 06:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer

but pickle juice makes it go away immediately. On brutally long rides, one pickle juice bottle may only last for 10-15 minutes however, so pack a bunch.
I would rather suffer the cramp! 😂
Old 06-13-21, 06:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
not cleat position, but how is your saddle height? The higher the saddle, the more likely you're to strain the adductors when the legs are extended. Try lowering your saddle by a 3-5mm, this will force you to use more gluts (and stay away from activating the adductors).
This is interesting. I raised my saddle 6 mm a few weeks ago and then had slightly sore muscles in this area. Although I also did some single leg drills for the first time in a while, which really stressed these muscles a lot more than normal pedalling.
Old 06-13-21, 06:46 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Roman soldiers could march 20+ miles in 5 hours carrying a load of 70 pounds in some very hot places. They could also built forts (during battle!) and roads and all manner of other things in their "down" time between fights.

No records I've seen of them all cramping up. Certainly no records of battles lost due to leg cramps.

They didn't have electrolyte drinks. But they had a thing called posca which was basically water and vinegar(sometimes flavouring agents) . Their version of pickle juice, maybe?