Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago ID ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago ID ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 06:08 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Hi Lugnut, I'm not quite 75 - only 67 but I've had a few health issues over the past half dozen years that has restricted physical activity a bit. I am, however, getting back to normal and am thinking more and more about my next ride. I have been considering selling off my little collection and hopefully find someone else that will understand my bikes. It's just so hard to let go of a lifelong passion.

My Cinelli was one of three bought into Australia in 1985 and it was love at first sight. It did take me about 2 years to finally own one of the three. Cinelli's are a bit rare down here. The importer, a very old and well establishes bike shop owner, would go to Italy and deal directly with the frame builder thus being able to relate some very interesting stories of his bike/frame buying adventures.

I too have a deep seated respect for Italian bikes and components although I also love my Australian bikes too. And, I too appreciate Japanese built cycles and components but I've never had the same desire to delve into them.

My ability to build and maintain bikes is pretty good (listen to me - haha) but I too have to rely on my favourite bike shop for tapping/chasing the larger threads and facing, etc. I look at the bikes of today and it's just so different. I'm starting to feel like I've been left behind, in the past but that might be a good thing too.

Very nice to have these little chats. I'd really love to see your bikes in the 'flesh' but, these days, that ability is probably a long way off.

Bye, Gary.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 11-15-22, 06:57 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
A little late, but it could be the master on this 30th anniversary poster. Dated 1984. I own a mexico like the one in the poster. no chainstay crimps or indents. No crimping in the tubing. Not a 'Nuevo Mexico' bought it as a super.. It took a while for me to figure it out.
Likes For uncleivan: