Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record 8 speed history

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Record 8 speed history

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 02:41 AM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt

That looks like Chorus. Is the photo in the catalog wrong or did they upgrade the Record pedal to include the tension adjustment later? I picked up the NOS ones below for a ‘96 spec.

I think the tension adjusters models were later. In the catalog pic you can see the axle has only two wrench flats where as the variable tension pedals have 6 wrench flats on the axle. The earlier campy/look pedals had campy axles and bearings with the two flats. Later they just rebranded the Look pedals without using campy parts. I think these in the picture are rebranded Look 286 Multitensor's.
Likes For ltokuno:
Old 12-31-22, 03:42 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by ltokuno
I think the tension adjusters models were later. In the catalog pic you can see the axle has only two wrench flats where as the variable tension pedals have 6 wrench flats on the axle. The earlier campy/look pedals had campy axles and bearings with the two flats. Later they just rebranded the Look pedals without using campy parts. I think these in the picture are rebranded Look 286 Multitensor's.
<br /><br />

I've got a set of the slightly more curvy ones, that also use Delta cleats, that I assume are later?

And these ones have stamp of ignominy that admits Campag had gone the wrong route with their SGR pedals, which seemed to win on being shinier, but were otherwise over complicated, harder to clip into, significantly heavier and more expensive than Look's version. I imagine Campagnolo engineers reacting like vampires do to sunlight upon seeing this mark...

Last edited by botty kayer; 12-31-22 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-31-22, 08:41 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
<br /><br />

I've got a set of the slightly more curvy ones, that also use Delta cleats, that I assume are later?

And these ones have stamp of ignominy that admits Campag had gone the wrong route with their SGR pedals, which seemed to win on being shinier, but were otherwise over complicated, harder to clip into, significantly heavier and more expensive than Look's version. I imagine Campagnolo engineers reacting like vampires do to sunlight upon seeing this mark...
Campagnolo in the Tullio era made components in France. The EU did not always exist, protectionism.
Old 12-31-22, 12:43 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
<br /><br />

Those look like rebranded Look 136's. That would place them after the first gen in the catalog pic. I think these were marketed as Chorus or lower. No tensioner and no arc adjustment.

I think SGR came later.
Old 01-01-23, 08:46 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Just to add to the photo content a bit, this Denti is equipped (primarily) with 1992 era 8 speed Campagnolo Record. Not visible in a photo is the fact that the shifters and rear derailleur have been modified/converted to 9 speed to simplify the wheel swapping situation at Casa El Chaba. The wheels also have slightly newer Athena hubs as the bike is sporting “winter” wheels.

Old 01-01-23, 04:42 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
stunning ride.

Does she have a name? Ladybug?
Old 01-01-23, 05:59 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
stunning ride.

Does she have a name? Ladybug?
Thank you. No name, but it has been a great bike. I rode it today for the first time in quite a while and so was thinking about our history together. I bought it back in 1987 and was heavily into racing and it became my primary machine for that purpose. One other item about the original Campagnolo Ergopower shifters ( as on this bike) …..I think a very undersold feature of these levers-almost never mentioned, even in advertising- was the adjustable reach of the brake levers. There is a small grub screw between the quick release button and the lever body that can be turned in or out to get the reach that you desired…or need…They were definitely quite different from the plastic bodied Ergopower levers that followed.
Old 01-02-23, 09:19 AM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Where there's a will, there is a way. The lack of a front derailleur braze on helps, though this was the intent when it was built. The frameset is from 1991/92 and built with tange prestige.

Old 01-02-23, 09:21 AM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Sorry nlerner for the pics.
Old 01-04-23, 05:30 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
Living in Australia, I don't see a lot of classic and vintage bike action here ( maybe I'm not looking hard enough... )
Which bit? I'm in Melbourne. There appears to be a fair bit of interest in C&V here, but due to lack of retro events it's kind of hidden under the surface.
Old 01-04-23, 07:38 PM
P!N20

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that the difference is that the EXA combination has one spline wider than the rest so the cassette builds up correctly on the freehub. IIRC EXA cassettes should work on non-EXA freehubs.
Delayed response, but yes that's correct.
Old 01-04-23, 07:40 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by El Chaba
I think a very undersold feature of these levers-almost never mentioned, even in advertising- was the adjustable reach of the brake levers. There is a small grub screw between the quick release button and the lever body that can be turned in or out to get the reach that you desired
Not gonna lie, I've been using first gen Ergo levers for years and didn't know this!
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-04-23, 07:44 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20

Not gonna lie, I've been using first gen Ergo levers for years and didn't know this!
It's much easier to make out the little black set screws when set off against the bare alloy of a stripped pair of Ergo bodies:

Of course, they are hidden in normal use by the QR button jutting out from the side of the lever.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-05-23, 09:06 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
I got this 8 Speed groupset in today. Listed as Athena but someone said it was C-Record. I keep getting distracted every time I think for a second about figuring what it really is. This may go on a Gianni Motta frame I have coming in.

Old 01-05-23, 09:47 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I got this 8 Speed groupset in today. Listed as Athena but someone said it was C-Record. I keep getting distracted every time I think for a second about figuring what it really is. This may go on a Gianni Motta frame I have coming in.

James, the crankset is C-Record. The rest looks like some variation of 8 speed. Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-23, 10:05 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
1994 Record. The carbon body Ergos, ramped chainring, and dual pivot brakes were all new that year. In ‘95 everything got printed groupset names. IMO 1994 was the high point for Campy aesthetics in the Ergo era, it’s been downhill since.

outstanding pickup!
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 01-05-23, 10:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Roger M
James, the crankset is C-Record. The rest looks like some variation of 8 speed. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by C9H13N
1994 Record. The carbon body Ergos, ramped chainring, and dual pivot brakes were all new that year. In ‘95 everything got printed groupset names. IMO 1994 was the high point for Campy aesthetics in the Ergo era, it’s been downhill since.

outstanding pickup!
Yep, that's what I'm seeing as I finally look into it at DISRAELI. Thanks for the comments and confirmation. Now to make sure it get's onto the "right" frame!
Old 01-21-23, 06:43 PM
jamesdak 

So, even though this came with a Chorus 102 spindle BB this crankset actually requires a 111 spindle, correct?
Old 01-22-23, 01:13 AM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
As mentioned above, you have a 1994 Record crankset FC-11RE. The 1994 bottom bracket required (cartridge) is BB11-RECART or BB13-RECART (depends on the threading).

I recall that the 1994 spindle length was 111mm, but I'm not certain.

The 102mm spindle is definitely too short. The 102 spindle is suitable for the 1995 - 2006 cranks.

Andrew G.
Likes For Andrew_G:
Old 01-22-23, 03:09 AM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Late reply on the pedals, both are Record. First are 1992 to 1994, the second (with the adjuster) 1995 up (to what year I don't know)

That looks like Chorus. Is the photo in the catalog wrong or did they upgrade the Record pedal to include the tension adjustment later? I picked up the NOS ones below for a ‘96 spec.

Old 11-06-23, 02:37 PM
DCU1984

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fwiw, Miche manufacturers several 8 speed Campagnolo cassettes. I bought a 13-28 last year from a UK retailer for relatively cheap. It works fine with a short cage derailleur, but the rd was a bit finicky to set up properly(53/39).
Are you still having success with this setup? I just bought a 13-28 Miche cassette and will install it next wee. Any tips?
Old 11-06-23, 03:21 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by DCU1984
Are you still having success with this setup? I just bought a 13-28 Miche cassette and will install it next wee. Any tips?
PM replied to
Old 11-07-23, 09:18 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have a bike with Ergo 8- was taught a lesson though, I won an auction for a NOS titanium cassette- Styling... ooops needs the EXA freehub body, I think similar to current just not as wide.
took 18 months of searching to find a NOS EXA freehub- purchased for a decent price.
so now a set of user wheels and coffeehouse bragging rights wheels, tubular of course.
I have a perfect entire 8 speed titanium rear hub (32H). I got many years ago new from some obscure bike shop (for a song). Kind of backwards from your story, now it needs a titanium cassette. Titanium axle and all (labeled Campagnolo Titanium on the ends)
I built it up with a Mavic GP4 rim, then realized the splines were "funny". It collected dust for a little while, so I de-laced it, and put it in the stash.
If I would have known you were looking, I would have let it go decades ago.
Old 11-07-23, 10:09 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 305 Posts
Likes For styggno1:
Old 11-07-23, 10:54 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I have two 1990/1991 Record rear derailleurs, and they look very similar to that one, but not exact. Similar cable adjuster. Same hanger bolt. They use an old school hex nut for the cable anchor. The wheels have like 14 ball bearings each. Your faceplate appears more curved than mine. And the inner cage plate is different, with mine having no tab for chain routing. Here is one of them:

The limit screws in the '90/'91 Record are different lengths, with the high limit being shorter. Still, the low limit isn't long enough to use with 7-speed friction, so I had to use one from an old Suntour mech.

Cage tension is adjusted from the outside, with the screw highlighted here:

Last edited by SurferRosa; 11-07-23 at 01:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.