Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 10:08 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Whoa, actual musicians discovered in the '70s.

Old 02-22-24, 10:09 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Abshipp, yikes! Hey at least they kinda apologized/admitted fault. Here, you could have been on the front lawn of your home and it still would have been your fault. Glad your o.k.
I'm sure they aren't thinking about it as much as I am still 18 hours later. Like I said, I kind of wish I could have slapped the car but you never know what folks will do if you "tOuCh mUh pRoPeRtY!1!11!"

Originally Posted by LAJ
That sucks, abshipp Need to get the camera's rolling. Video proof is all the rage now.
Never thought about a front camera before last night. I know WhyFi used one of the combo light/cameras but I'm so spoiled by my current front light it would be hard to go back to a cone lens spotlight.
Old 02-22-24, 10:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It can be. I seem to recall, though, that my parents at one time had some liquid you could dip in or wipe on that would work pretty much instantly on most silver. Polished sterling silver is a beautiful color, much brighter than stainless steel. Of course, it tarnishes like nobody's business and dishwashers will dull the shine, too. Once you've got them polished, though, it's not THAT much work to keep them up.

Mrs. GJ ended up with both her Grandmother's and her Mother's sterling silverware. Up through maybe the 1950s, I think buying a full set of silverware for a new bride was standard American Middle Class practice. My Mom had a complete service for 8 - which was handy because there were that many of us! - from her parents, having married in 1942. I believe we used that for every day till Mom and Dad got a double set of quality stainless flatware in the mid 60s. Anyway, one of the weird obsessive things I did during the Pandemic was to drag out both sets of silverware Mrs. GJ inherited, polish them all, count up what was there and buy replacements for the missing ones off Ebay. I also bought a silver chest for the stuff from her Grandmother. I drag out one or the other set for special occasions, like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
I remember some TV commercial hawking some solution that you simply rubbed on and the stuff would look like new. Was always skeptical.

I also have the silver set my parents got for a wedding gift. Haven't looked at that in a long, long time. It's in the wooden "box" it came in. The platters are loose in the basement. I am slowly cleaning out the junk down there and was almost going to put them in a "free box" outside this weekend, but think they might actually be worth something.
Old 02-22-24, 10:40 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Had my closest call in my entire bike riding career last night.

I was on my road bike starting up a climb that begins at around 8% and then kicks up to 15%ish in the first third.

Very quiet road back behind a country club, and I look up after switching my computer screen and see a car moving fairly slowly but also crossing the centerline in to my lane. My thoughts went like this:

Probably just a small deviation...

Maybe they’re making an unnecessarily wide swing out to make a right hand turn in to a driveway...

They’re still coming...

Is this person actually trying to hit me?

As they got closer and closer it didn’t appear that the rate of change laterally was getting any higher, so I sped up as much as I could to shoot the gap between the car and what was left between it and the curb fully preparing to hop over the curb and bail in the bushes when they made a sudden correction.

Their window was open and I saw them give a half-assed “oh sorry my bad” wave while holding their phone in their other hand unlocked as I rode by and shouted “what the ****?”

I wish I would have screamed louder or smacked their mirror closed but I was just so shocked at what was happening.

This all happened at a closing speed of probably 25mph but I’m still very grateful I didn’t go up on the hood of a car last night.

I’m just hoping they didn’t mow down the other cyclist I had just passed going the opposite direction.

Everyone else on the road was driving like absolute idiots, too. I’ve never seen it this bad. My best guess is that it had to do with it being 5:30-6:00 and folks were focused only on getting home as fast as possible. I've only started riding after work over the previous fall and winter - sticking to the MUP and the local mountain which are usually drama free. Well, aside from the usual MUP idiocy.
Wow. I'm glad you came out of that un-injured.
Old 02-22-24, 10:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
My fitness is high, I think the adrenaline in the crit causes me HR to be higher, my performance in the monster cross race shows that I have the fitness. I think I am more concerned about someone crashing into me in crits. I know out of my control, but it the fear is there and real.
If you can't get past that fear, your crit performance will continue to be limited. Also, part of bike handling skills is the improved ability to deal with emergency situations. That said, sometimes $#!+ happens that can't be avoided. This is one of the risks of the game.
Old 02-22-24, 10:45 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,760 Times in 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I'm sure they aren't thinking about it as much as I am still 18 hours later. Like I said, I kind of wish I could have slapped the car but you never know what folks will do if you "tOuCh mUh pRoPeRtY!1!11!"

Never thought about a front camera before last night. I know WhyFi used one of the combo light/cameras but I'm so spoiled by my current front light it would be hard to go back to a cone lens spotlight.
GoPro and Magicshine all-in-one mount, and two separate flashers. It works well. I haven't figured out how to do the rear Cycliq yet, but I'm working on it. Pesky trunk bag anyway.

Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-22-24, 10:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I remember some TV commercial hawking some solution that you simply rubbed on and the stuff would look like new. Was always skeptical.

I also have the silver set my parents got for a wedding gift. Haven't looked at that in a long, long time. It's in the wooden "box" it came in. The platters are loose in the basement. I am slowly cleaning out the junk down there and was almost going to put them in a "free box" outside this weekend, but think they might actually be worth something.
There should be a hallmark of some kind on the back. Sterling and Silverplate, as well as other precious metals and things that LOOK LIKE precious metals were required to have them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-24, 11:10 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
It's a real problem. I got a bit nervous just walking recently when an oncoming dumb dumb came well over onto my side of the road.
getting the dopamine hit.
Old 02-22-24, 11:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Whoa, actual musicians discovered in the '70s.

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/...34649031360513
Buddy Rich was a known d-bag. When Billy Cobham was a kid, he asked Rich to autograph his snare drum. Rich dropped the drum down a flight of stairs.
Old 02-22-24, 11:31 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I’ve got pics from the neighbor. I’ve already notified my insurance and solar company. I never had any trouble 6 years ago with State Farm. In fact, they found and covered damage that I had no idea that I had.
Times they are a changing.

Learning How State Farm Evaluates Hail Damage Claims | Property Insurance Coverage Law Blog

Worth a watch (this guy has won more roof cases against SF in Texas than anyone else):
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-22-24, 11:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Times they are a changing.

Learning How State Farm Evaluates Hail Damage Claims | Property Insurance Coverage Law Blog

Worth a watch (this guy has won more roof cases against SF in Texas than anyone else): How To Beat State Farm in court on Roofing Claims: Chad Wilson (youtube.com)
But....but....State Farm is like a good neighbor. They are there for you.

RMOT

Old 02-22-24, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
But....but....State Farm is like a good neighbor. They are there for you.

RMOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GBuxgFNg4
"Like a good neighbah...."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-24, 11:58 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,760 Times in 2,769 Posts
We have Allstate, and have put in a couple claims for hail. No issue, but Mayhem may ensue....

Old 02-22-24, 12:08 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by LAJ
We have Allstate, and have put in a couple claims for hail. No issue, but Mayhem may ensue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itfh8uOqAUI
I concur with MOJO, the big boys - All-State and SF among others have been aggressively not paying claims for a while now here in GA and apparently TX. We get a lot of hail down here with the humidity being an issue. In the rockies probably less of an issue. We are in the midst of our 2nd claim in 7 years. We have a regional insurance company. In fact the inspector is at our house today. More later.
Old 02-22-24, 12:09 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One of the more enjoyable Superbowl commercials!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-22-24, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
This morning I did my second volunteer delivery of meals to seriously ill, "underprivileged" people. I have gotten to see parts of the city that I would otherwise not see, even though they are not all that far from where I live. What an eyeopener. And they are not even some of the worst places in the city. The trash in the streets alone is shocking.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-22-24, 12:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Buddy Rich was a known d-bag. When Billy Cobham was a kid, he asked Rich to autograph his snare drum. Rich dropped the drum down a flight of stairs.
That wasn't nice.
Originally Posted by DougRNS
More later.
Please continue.
Old 02-22-24, 12:29 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
45F and sunny. I washed the salt off of the SportWagen.
86 and sunny. A hair warmer than the 72 we had yesterday. This time of year we are consecutively bundling up to stay warm, and shopping for air conditioner parts.
Old 02-22-24, 12:29 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itfh8uOqAUI
Mrs. rjones28 has had Allstate from day one. Added me to her policy when we got married. In the 1980s.

Discovered Allstate's online claim submission last summer when the SportWagen needed a new windshield - rock strike on the highway. Easy peasy. Even booked the repair appointment through the claims portal. Same when it got wrinkled in traffic a few months ago.
Old 02-22-24, 12:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Buddy Rich was a known d-bag.
Buddy Miles is my favorite drummer named Buddy

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-22-24, 12:33 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Eric F
Even in freeride mode, there is pretty much always a time constraint. When I was an active racer, the idea of a non-intentional ride was a foreign concept, even in the off-season. These days, I'm not targeting any kind of peaks for gravel events, which are spread throughout the year. I'll taper off in the week prior to try to gain some freshness, but that's about it. I go into each event with whatever I have, and try to ride to the best of my ability on that day, if I'm riding the event alone. At a previous event, I rode with a friend who started to fade off my pace towards the end. If I gapped him on a climb, I waited for him to rejoin me before continuing. Sharing the event added to the enjoyment.
I am always in freeride mode nowadays. Rarely with a time constraint. But then I have always been in freeride mode, except that in the past I competed against myself. No more.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 02-22-24, 12:36 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Please continue.
It's not later. I'll tell you when it is.
Old 02-22-24, 12:36 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by indyfabz
This morning I did my second volunteer delivery of meals to seriously ill, "underprivileged" people. I have gotten to see parts of the city that I would otherwise not see, even though they are not all that far from where I live. What an eyeopener. And they are not even some of the worst places in the city. The trash in the streets alone is shocking.
I did a Meals on Wheels route for a number of years until Covid shut things down. I was likewise shocked by the number of very poor people within 5 or 6 miles of our house. Saw all types of people as well - hoarders, extremely disabled with no help, people living in rat infested houses, and some very nice and friendly folks as well. All were incredibly appreciative.
Old 02-22-24, 12:37 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by DougRNS
It's not later. I'll tell you when it is.
Actually, it is later. Just maybe not as much later as you would like.
Old 02-22-24, 12:38 PM
seedsbelize2

Some of us experience the real thing. No need for social media.

https://twitter.com/HowThingsWork_/s...01940355690973
That thing needs a guard, as much a a skillsaw needs one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.