Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How often have you used the mult-tool set on the road?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 12:12 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

If you carry a multi-too set (typically including various sized allen wrenches, screw drivers), have you actually used them during the ride? I carry one, and a mini pump, tube repair kit, in a frame bag, but have never, ever touched them during a ride. Together they add weight, and I always have to take them off the bike when parking outside.
Old 09-02-18, 01:39 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vol
If you carry a multi-too set (typically including various sized allen wrenches, screw drivers), have you actually used them during the ride? I carry one, and a mini pump, tube repair kit, in a frame bag, but have never, ever touched them during a ride. Together they add weight, and I always have to take them off the bike when parking outside.
My ride weighs a ton already yet I only travel with a multi-tool for a few days after I add a component that may need adjusting until it feels right (seat, brake pads, cables, handle bars).

On the flipside I enjoy being helpful to fellow commuters and I know I've been asked at least 5 times in the last year if I had Allen wrenches... Unfortunately for them the stars didn't align...
Old 09-02-18, 02:39 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I use the the multi-tool a couple times a month and occasional riders ask if I have one a few times a year, so that is 27 times each year.
Old 09-02-18, 02:53 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I've used mine a few times over the past four years. Nothing that couldn't have waited until I got home, like a loose water bottle cage, adjusting saddle angle on a new saddle, adjusting cleat position on new shoes, etc.
Old 09-02-18, 03:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Not a lot on a ride. I've used it to disassemble stuff I've bought for packing.

I have, on at least one occasion had a loose handlebar, and had to buy a multi-tool at a local hardware store to comfortably get home. Call it an assembly/build issue.

I did use the chain tool on my multi-tool once to fix a broken chain (9s, never 11s... yet). I'm now experimenting with Wippermann chains that come with very easy to use quick links, but I still would probably need the chain tool to clean up broken ends, should the need arise.

Tire levers are handy. And, a spoke wrench has come in handy a couple of times.

Anyway, I could probably get away with say a 5mm Allen wrench for stem bolts & etc, and leave the rest of the Allen wrenches home. Add the tire levers, spoke wrench, chain tool, and my Swiss Army knife, and I could deal with quite a bit.
Old 09-02-18, 03:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Often enough to justify it. I’m always adjusting something or other.

I’ve been thinking that a traditional chain breaker isn’t so necessary if I’ve got a Leatherman to pull apart the bad link and a quick link to replace it. Also I don’t anticipate bending a link now that I’ve no longer got a FD.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-02-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 05:17 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I used it three times over the last 3 years. Twice to adjust the seat and once to fix my cleat. I lost a screw on my right SPD cleat and instead of unclipping, it kept twisting on my sole. I was able to re-tighten the remaining screw and finish my ride without another issue..
Old 09-02-18, 05:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I used to get a lot of flat tires, before I switched to puncture-resistant types. Also, I was more compulsive about carrying "everything on every ride" than I am now. And I felt more responsible about arriving at work on time, etc.

These days, for less than a few miles, I'm comfortable leaving the sag bag at home. My work commute is 4 miles, so the worst-case scenario is that I walk 2 miles. Longer rides out in the boonies, sure. Rides with other people, sure. I trust my own bikes more than I trust theirs.

Perhaps more important than the contents of the sag bag, is keeping up with maintenance in between rides.
Old 09-02-18, 05:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You don't need to carry tools... until the first time you hit that pothole you didn't see, and the bars rotate forward, and you can't fix it. Or have a cleat bolt loosen up. Or a derailleur pinch bolt start slipping.

A multitool is just like a pump or a helmet-- you have it in the hopes that you never need it.

That said, I use my little tool set probably once a month, for one thing or another.
Old 09-02-18, 05:35 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Used mine last ride to adjust the boom on my trike. I usually carry a lot of tools when I ride and, though I use them infrequently, it's a comfort to know that I have them.
Old 09-02-18, 05:38 PM
SylvainG

Probably the most useless 'tool' I have in my saddle bag is my temporary Kevlar spoke.Well, useless until I take it out and then break a spoke...
Old 09-02-18, 07:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Probably the most useless 'tool' I have in my saddle bag is my temporary Kevlar spoke.Well, useless until I take it out and then break a spoke...
There’s 31 more where that came from
Old 09-02-18, 07:50 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

There’s 31 more where that came from
Yeah, but the wheel will be out of alignment. Nonetheless, I doubt that I would be able to align it with a temporary Kevlar spoke anyway so yeah, probably useless...
Old 09-02-18, 10:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Yeah, but the wheel will be out of alignment. Nonetheless, I doubt that I would be able to align it with a temporary Kevlar spoke anyway so yeah, probably useless...
Why not? I mean, not perfectly true or even, but at least you should be able to put enough tension into it.
Old 09-03-18, 09:26 AM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Why not? I mean, not perfectly true or even, but at least you should be able to put enough tension into it.
May be, Never had the misfortune to have to use it, yet.
Old 09-03-18, 09:41 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
Only on others bikes.
Old 09-03-18, 10:34 AM
jnb22019

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't recall using my multitool but I did use my chain tool the very first ride I took it with me.
Old 09-03-18, 10:41 AM
vol

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Perhaps more important than the contents of the sag bag, is keeping up with maintenance in between rides.
That sounds like something I should follow as far as short commute is concerned. Although I carry the mini pump, it's not easy to use so little chance I'll actually use it, esp. I commute in big city where there is a subway every few blocks, I think the tools are necessary for long rides or more remote roads. But I agree having tools with you will enable you to help others (just like when I have first aid with me). I thought of this thread only because I like to put minimal weight on my bike and also avoid the hassle of removing bags when parking outside.

P.S. I do make sure to carry a spare dead-bolt seat post bracket, in case the quick-release bracket is broken as it happened to me in the past and caused great inconvenience. Also a small screwdriver for tiny screws, as well as a bunch of rubber bands/velcro straps for securing the flashlight on my handlebar. All these are lightweight.

Oops, I realize that since I'm carrying a seat post bracket, I must carry at least one allen wrench!

Last edited by vol; 09-03-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 11:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Not once. I've never carried a multi-tool with me.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-03-18, 11:53 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Not often

Originally Posted by vol

i carry a multi multi tool and I don’t think I have ever used it on my bike. I have used or offered to help other people though.
Old 09-04-18, 06:40 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I use mine often enough to make it worth carrying.

One time I got loose in a slick mud puddle and went down. I was fine, but I hit hard enough to turn the seat sideways. But...it was still tight enough that I couldn't turn it back straight by hand. I had to loosen it. Without the tool I'd have had a very awkward ride home sitting on the seat sideways.

Plus I'm often 10-20 miles from my car/home. And more than 5 miles from either I don't see many other people. I'd rather carry that tool and not need it than need it 15 miles from help and not have it. It's not like it weighs much. I figure if the weight of the multi tool is slowing me down, I need to exercise more.
Old 09-04-18, 07:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
A multitool is just like a pump or a helmet-- you have it in the hopes that you never need it.
I don't believe a helmet will save me (based on the evidence, neither does the CDC!), but it's a lawyer-proofing device. I use a multi-tool mostly on my travel bike, since things get removed, installed, and adjusted a lot more on that bike than the others. It's mechanical insurance, and I'm happy to have it when I need it. Unfortunately, my pump sees a lot of use.

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I use mine often enough to make it worth carrying.
It's not like it weighs much. I figure if the weight of the multi tool is slowing me down, I need to exercise more.
+1
Old 09-04-18, 08:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I carry one but pretty much never use it. I want to be able to adjust my saddle and handlebars, but the need rarely comes up. Most multi-tools don't work as well as purpose-built tools, but the Park MT-1 is simple enough that it's decent, and it's pretty inexpensive. The usual ones that are like Swiss army knives look perfect but they're cumbersome to hold and sometimes don't have good entry angles to the job at hand. If I expect I'll need tools, I'll carry the real things, so that includes a few allen keys and a pair of tire levers. I bind them together with a rubber band.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-04-18, 08:33 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I once used an Allen key to adjust my seat post. Sometimes I use them to clean my cleats when I walk on mud or snow, but I could use a key or a coin or a branch instead. Other than that, just tire leavers, a spare tube or patch kit, and an air pump.

But these things are like condoms, even if its sad to se them get old inside a wallet, its better to carry one around than to not have it when you need it.
Old 09-04-18, 08:51 AM
vol

Originally Posted by noglider
the Park MT-1 is simple enough that it's decent, and it's pretty inexpensive. The usual ones that are like Swiss army knives look perfect but they're cumbersome to hold and sometimes don't have good entry angles to the job at hand. If I expect I'll need tools, I'll carry the real things, so that includes a few allen keys and a pair of tire levers. I bind them together with a rubber band.

Agree on the Swiss-knife style folding multi-tools. The 3-way star shaped also has its disadvantages such as needing enough space to use and taking space in the bag. I have some L-shaped ones that are convenient. The Park tool you are showing looks perfect!
(Edit: could be more "perfect" by adding a 3rd dimension. It doesn't seem to include a screw driver with cross head)

Last edited by vol; 09-04-18 at 09:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.