Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

One bolt to secure “quill” style threadless stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 11:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I like the classy, chunky look of this stem: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225508819878?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HpvRd4LmQAu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=-dXDd8HATLm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not sure if I should worry if the one securing bolt is sufficient or not. Any opinions on this to share?
Old 04-05-23, 11:39 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I have a similar FSA Metropolis stem on my son's bike:

At first I ran it without a top cap, and it loosened after a while. I put a top cap on it and it's held up fine since.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-05-23, 11:44 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Many of these are not for use with carbon steerers.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-06-23, 10:55 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Many of these are not for use with carbon steerers.
Good point. The clamp bolt is the primary source of tension that keeps the headset in adjustment. If it's clamping below the internal expansion nut it will likely crush the steerer before it holds enough tension to keep the headset from loosening. An extra long internal expansion nut might solve this.

Look at this point in consideration of minimum insertion. If the steerer tube doesn't penetrate at least part way into the level of the gooseneck, I'd expect the stem to work loose or even damage the steerer, since there's just one bolt holding and it is considerably below the line of torque. And if you're using a carbon steerer without an extended nut, you're going to crush the steerer.

And if you'd be using this stem to get some more rise from the steerer, without consideration for minimum insertion, it will give you nothing but trouble.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-06-23, 11:21 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Good point. The clamp bolt is the primary source of tension that keeps the headset in adjustment. If it's clamping below the internal expansion nut it will likely crush the steerer before it holds enough tension to keep the headset from loosening. An extra long internal expansion nut might solve this.

Look at this point in consideration of minimum insertion. If the steerer tube doesn't penetrate at least part way into the level of the gooseneck, I'd expect the stem to work loose or even damage the steerer, since there's just one bolt holding and it is considerably below the line of torque. And if you're using a carbon steerer without an extended nut, you're going to crush the steerer.

And if you'd be using this stem to get some more rise from the steerer, without consideration for minimum insertion, it will give you nothing but trouble.
I still wouldn't use it on carbon because it pinches rather than clamps. It will create a stress riser because of the very small clamping area
Old 04-06-23, 01:51 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I still wouldn't use it on carbon because it pinches rather than clamps. It will create a stress riser because of the very small clamping area
True. The manufacturers standard stems use precision-machined two- and three-bolt clamps for a reason.
Old 04-06-23, 03:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...in addition to the minimalist approach to bolt tensioning, the pricing of 100 bucks would probably make me think twice about buying one.
The entire design seems like a great step backward, in threadless stem design, for function and durability.

Old 04-06-23, 04:16 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
+1 ^^^ and listing it as a "Quill" stem on Ebay is not boosting my confidence in this.