Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tektro brake lever goes down and down and down...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-23, 12:35 PM
Atyrio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The front disk brake on my brand new Priority 600 bike brakes briefly, but then the brake handle slowly sinks all the way to the grip and the brake releases. I tried to post a link to a 15-second movie, but as a newbie I'm not allowed.

I did a thorough bleed and found no air.

What the actual f...? Bad seal in the cylinder, or what? I've been advised by the manufacturer to take it to my local bike shop, but (a) having someone else repair my bike isn't in my DNA, (b) finding time during the work day to get there isn't often possible, and (c) I like to understand the issue before I go to any professional just so that I can detect BS.

Thoughts on what this might be would be appreciated. Self-repair instructions would be even better.

~ Will
Old 03-31-23, 12:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You can post stuff in the foo forum to get your 10 posts and then post pics and videos in this thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/
Old 03-31-23, 01:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked 5,442 Times in 2,765 Posts
You'll likely have to let a shop do the work if you want it covered by warranty.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-31-23, 03:06 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the Seals in the Lever Cylinder have Failed! Do NOT Ride the Bike unless you enjoy Lawsuits and Hospital stays.

As stated in a post above, if YOU try to "repair" anything, the Warranty will Be VOIDED.. same goes for taking it to a shop that is not an Authorized Warranty Dealer.
don't mention that you bled the system, ok?

Update: when i looked up your bike, it specifies Hayes 4 piston disc brakes...you say your bike has Tektro brakes? hmmmmm....

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/600x#features

Last edited by maddog34; 03-31-23 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 04-05-23, 08:20 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Had a similar issue with on my ebike with Tektro system. Bleeding didn't help, adding more fluid either. The ebike company sent me a new lever, which I replaced without bleeding anything and it worked well ever since.