Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Seeking comments/info: Klein and Funk

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-23, 02:38 PM
rwh63

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts

dump picked these recently. posted some info in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...nd-thread.html

however, thought i might get a lot more info if i posted in MTB. i emailed Funk; however, Klein is no longer. looking for any and all feedback: years, models, component suggestions, value. anything to help me understand these better. thx!

btw, don't see a serial on the Funk; serial on the Klein is 5910596083

Last edited by rwh63; 06-11-23 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-11-23, 03:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Well the Klein looks like their mid 90’s aluminum. 1” headset, anybodies would work. You are lucky it’s a threaded b-bracket, the pressed in would be hard to source, this looks like any current BSA will work. Probably a 130mm rear dropout spacing. Could use any system with QR wheels up to 11 spd. as long as it’s rim brakes.

Never heard of Funk
Old 06-11-23, 06:36 PM
rwh63

yes, rim brakes. and , so, the klein is actually a road bike frame, not mountain. my error. found a full bike on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/17558911982...Bk9SR_CppNCVYg
Old 06-12-23, 08:47 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
I am not familiar with their road bikes, but Klein made some nice mountain bikes of a similar vintage, so probably a decent frame.

I am not familiar with Funk, but a google search seems to indicate they made ti bikes. What is that one made of?
Old 06-12-23, 09:34 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
The idea that you can pick up such high end framesets at a dump is just amazing to me. I'm definitely familiar with Klein and a Quantum Race would build into a great road bike still today. The tire clearances might be tight leading you to max out at 25mm tires though.
Old 06-12-23, 10:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The idea that you can pick up such high end framesets at a dump is just amazing to me. I'm definitely familiar with Klein and a Quantum Race would build into a great road bike still today. The tire clearances might be tight leading you to max out at 25mm tires though.
Yeah, actually either one would still buld up into a pretty nice bike for someone's usage. The Funk looks like it would be a pretty nice bike for someone who wanted a rigid bike for trail riding.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-13-23, 05:00 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I am not familiar with their road bikes, but Klein made some nice mountain bikes of a similar vintage, so probably a decent frame.

I am not familiar with Funk, but a google search seems to indicate they made ti bikes. What is that one made of?
i believe aluminum. according their site history section, that is what they started with. transitioned into ti later. i tried to contact Funk. phone goes straight to voice mail. someone did respond to an email, and stated: I'm pretty sure Funk Cycles never made that frame. Someone had done a pretty good job of attaching our decals.
That said, it seems like a reasonable quality bike, but hard to tell from just photos. Happy to talk with who ever is selling this frame.

i don't think that person knows their history. however, subsequent emails have gone unanswered.
Old 06-13-23, 05:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Nice score!!

Here's the 2001 Klein catalog that includes the Quantum Race as their 2nd highest level road bike... https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis.../2001klein.pdf Your frame is of a similar age. It's not a smooth ride, but it's stiff, and accelerates like a rocket.
Old 06-13-23, 06:30 PM
rwh63

Originally Posted by Eric F
Nice score!!

Here's the 2001 Klein catalog that includes the Quantum Race as their 2nd highest level road bike... https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis.../2001klein.pdf Your frame is of a similar age. It's not a smooth ride, but it's stiff, and accelerates like a rocket.
yes, I believe the Klein is a late ‘90s model. Unfortunately for me, it is measuring 61 cm, which is too large for me 😩