Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today? Continued.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 07:52 AM
jhodge

Bikes: Trek 2100 Composite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful morning in DC, sunny and upper 60s. It should have been a great morning to ride, but sometimes life isn't fair, and I felt weak and off-balance all the way in
Old 07-01-10, 10:03 AM
NoSho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole week has been beautiful in Northwest Arkansas. High 60s and sunny in the mornings, 80s and sunny on the way home. Totally awesome. I went the long LONG way home yesterday, it was so nice.
Old 07-01-10, 10:50 AM
wreq5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I registered to tell everyone that today has been my first day COMMUTING to work and I must admit it was the GREATEST thing ever!!!!!!!!!
By the way commuting in SoCal Pomona to be exact and it was a beautiful commute this morning, cant wait for the HIGH heat this afternoon.
I followed all the advice in the 'Advice for New Commuters' forum and everyone has been of great assistance from what to carry to how to deal with the sweat buckets when arriving to work.
Oh man what a great feeling it is to cycle in to work and all the benefits involved. Thanks everyone who provided tips and advice. Greatly apreciated
Old 07-01-10, 10:52 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Too late, now you are addicted. Welcome to the club.
Old 07-01-10, 11:13 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got to salvage the rest of the week, yeah! Picked up my wheel last night and intsalled rim tape, cassette, tire/tube, re-adjusted rr. brakes and gave the bike a good cleaning, including chain. I was worried that I'd miss all the incredible weather while waiting on a replacement axle from Shimano and with the cheapp@$$ loaner wheel flatting the first day and soft with loose spokes. I had a nice ride in, despite the headwind and, should have a sublime ride home. I'm also expecting my new wheels in the early part of next week and will replace my seatpost and handlebars soon, the bike should look really nice. The new set of wheels will allow me to have a much needed backup for bad weather and/or times when my primary wheels are being serviced.
Old 07-01-10, 11:57 PM
daijoubu2k8

Bikes: Velosport Appalache 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Malhavoc
I tried my first commute to work yesterday. Got soaked in the rain, down to my boxers. My work clothes were in a backpack and got soaked too.

My lesson learned: Bring a towel, and ride commando.
Congrats on the first commute! Never trust a bag to be waterproof no matter what the maker says. Stuff that should arrive dry goes in a plastic bag. Electronics go in ziploc baggies. Plastic grocery bags are great for clothes. So are garbage bags for larger items.
Old 07-01-10, 11:59 PM
daijoubu2k8

Bikes: Velosport Appalache 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind
Hats off to you for climbing that epic hill on Hume Park eastbound!
I think the worse part of CVG in my commute is Winston and the Still Creek industrial area. The Brunette River MUP is really nice. You should try 700x28s. I have them on my road bike as front and 700x25 for rears. Seem to be fine on the rough stuff.
My race bike was stolen last month. I replaced it with a vintage tourer with 27x 1.25" tires. Not the fastest, but great for almost all conditions. A little too slick for climbing the trans canada trail on Burnaby mountain though. I might get some knobbies when the weather starts to change.
Old 07-02-10, 06:24 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride. Incredible weather and I felt much more in the groove than yesterday. The bike is (finally) running well, no flats, loose hubs, brake issues, etc and I was stronger than yesterday. Have to leave early today to get my lisence renewed but, should be a great ride home. Also, may try to break out early tomorrow morning for a spin on the MTB. Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-02-10, 07:44 AM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DRENCHED! A hard rain in Central Texas in July is kind of bizarre, but I loved that it was cool!
Old 07-02-10, 10:01 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 375 Posts
Beautiful NYC day yesterday. Had a tailwind on the way home, which is unusual at this time of year.
Old 07-02-10, 10:11 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful morning. After three-plus hours of pedalling a pedicab around last night usually loaded and almost non-stop, my own bike felt SOOOOOO much lighter and easy to ride this AM. I was a little slow, or at least it seemed that way, but I think most of that had to do w/ the constant headwind. But the headwind's a cool northerly breeze, so I'll take it this time of year. Better 70 in the AM with a headwind than 80 degrees w/o wind. Plus, if it keeps up, it'll be a nice tailwind heading home.

Not sure I'll get much/any riding in this weekend, and next week, due to some work obligations, I may have to take a rare few days off from bike commuting. It really has me kinda bummed already just thinking about it.
Old 07-02-10, 11:53 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute yesterday as I worked from home. Today I had to take my wife's car in to get the flat fixed. There are two tire shops near our house. One is in the opposite direction from my office, which would leave me with a ride of about 4 miles one-way. The other is across the street from my office, which would have left me with a ride of <500 yards. Can you guess which place I took it to?

Nice ride, beautiful weather, and it was good to change my route.

Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
Old 07-02-10, 11:56 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
58F and misty. Caved to forecast and wore long sleeves, a t would have probably been better...
Old 07-02-10, 07:12 PM
elihu23

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep telling myself that I'm done for the summer, but this morning I couldn't help it. It was cool and sunny--perfect! I made excellent time! I came home on the train--low traffic both ways.
Old 07-03-10, 12:13 PM
bwhite829

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it was good. biked 13 miles 1 way for some racquetball, by the time i played racquetball after biking 13 miles didn't want to ride home, so i stalled by playing disc golf....luckily by then my fiance was getting off work(about 1/4 mile away), so she swung by and picked me up....stiff headwind, many hills, first time on a really busy road....wasn't the most stress free ride, but i'm bout to go into a coma here for a while

btw, i really need to get my fitness base back...i've been out of it for about 6 months, so that 13 miles was really tough...but hey, what better way than to have a 15-20 mile round trip ride 4 days a week, and 9 miles one way 2 days a week, besides night time errands/weekend festivities on my bike
Old 07-03-10, 12:14 PM
bwhite829

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and this is the first few days in a while we haven't had 105 degree heat index every day, so i'm going to enjoy it while it lasts....i might be driving on anything more than about 4-5 miles unless its sub 90 or so when i get out...
Old 07-04-10, 01:39 AM
Dyerseve726

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's ride home was gorgeous. I saw a familiar face on the side of the road and stopped to chat for a bit...moved on, and no more than four blocks later, someone yells to me "do you want a glass of lemonade?!?!". Normally I'd just keep going, but it's the holiday weekend and I said what the heck and turned around once more for a delicious, homemade, hand squeezed lemonade with cherries and candied ginger to eat off of the bottom. She made it from scratch right in front of me. Living right on a main bicycle drag here in Portland, she continued waving people down well after I had moved on. I love this city.
Old 07-04-10, 12:00 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to throw on the wind breaker this morning ive already gotten used to the warm weather and 48f is chilly now yay for summer!!!!
Old 07-04-10, 05:05 PM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last couple of days have been cooler than the preceding month. Today being the 4th of July, bus service was horrible so, despite the still uncomfortably high temperatures, I rode all the way in to work ... where I proceeded to run into a late parade on the part of my route with almost no alternates. (DOH!)

50 minutes for 9.25 mi.
Old 07-05-10, 07:13 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to work today in the rain. It wasn't that bad. Since the office was technically closed me and a few others, including my boss went in. I got a lot done.

Riding home bits of things I thought was pollen kept lightly hitting my face, body and sunglasses. Some got into my mouth which I spat out. I just kept my mouth closed after that.

Two thirds home I stopped at a 7-11 for something and noticed all these black specks all over my jersey. To my horror the black specks started to move. They were bugs. They were in the air, stirred up by the rain and humidity and carried by the wind. Double ugh!!!

Well, just another day in bug paradise, which is Florida.

Would love to know what they were. Whatever they were, they weren't the biting kind it seems.
Old 07-05-10, 07:27 PM
bwhite829

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyFlorida
Went to work today in the rain. It wasn't that bad. Since the office was technically closed me and a few others, including my boss went in. I got a lot done.

Riding home bits of things I thought was pollen kept lightly hitting my face, body and sunglasses. Some got into my mouth which I spat out. I just kept my mouth closed after that.

Two thirds home I stopped at a 7-11 for something and noticed all these black specks all over my jersey. To my horror the black specks started to move. They were bugs. They were in the air, stirred up by the rain and humidity and carried by the wind. Double ugh!!!

Well, just another day in bug paradise, which is Florida.

Would love to know what they were. Whatever they were, they weren't the biting kind it seems.
yeah, we were @ st augustine for the 4th and the bugs were crazy....it rained ALOT from st augustine to pensacola on the way home, most was around okaloosa/walton counties i believe...and when i played ulti we got eaten up by mosquitos. gotta love the wet, bug infested sunshine state
Old 07-06-10, 03:59 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
70 degrees with about 90% humidity this morning. Decent ride in, certainly going to be better than the ride home which is forecast to be @ 100 degrees or above.
Old 07-06-10, 05:51 AM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Good fast ride in this morning, right up until my rear tire went flat...

I'll have time to fix it at lunch, but it's still going to be a hot sweaty ride home tinight...
Old 07-06-10, 06:01 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My first bike commute since June 26 because I've been on vacation. What a welcome back - the forecasted high for today is 100 F with Code Orange for air pollution. Had a slow ride to work this morning as I rode a lot of fast miles over the weekend and my legs were tired. I rigged up one of my road bikes with fenders during my vacation, so now I have a fast commuter for days when I don't have to carry as much gear.
Old 07-06-10, 06:02 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh. Yucky commute. This afternoon will be even worse. Hazy Hot & Humid. Dewpoint of 72. Then to cap it all off, the elevator in the building wasn't working so I had to carry the 30+ pound Trek up stairs to my office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.