Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 08:01 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Although I'm disappointed that about 2 weeks of car commuting will have passed by the time I am able to bike commute again (not health issue, logistics issue with the car in the repair shop and only I can drive the rental), I am somewhat glad I didn't bike in today (walked instead). The roads had some black ice on them and I'm sure I would have ridden as if there wasn't any. The conditions came about because the last few days have been a few to a dozen degrees below freezing but last night was mild and humid and all of the road and sidewalk surfaces were frosted up. Salt was put down in a few spots but not everywhere or every road.
Old 11-14-13, 08:07 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcb23
The cold continues but the winds have died down. 37F/+3.
Lucky you, still very windy around here.
Old 11-14-13, 08:29 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
27F and wicked, evil headwind. I hate cold headwinds
Old 11-14-13, 08:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Coldest commute so far, computer readout showed 24°F at one point. It was mostly around 26-28 during the ride. Very little wind, though, which was nice. Took 10 minutes longer than Tuesday morning when I had a huge tail wind and it was 15 degrees warmer.

I wore the same stuff as Tuesday except added arm warmers, and I actually was a little chilly. Toes froze again as usual. Tried to keep a scarf over my face but as usual it wouldn't stay, so I let my nose freeze also. Gotta get some kind of balaclava or something.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 11-14-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-14-13, 09:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I haven't ridden yet today, but I plan to. I'm dropping my car off at the repair garage owned by BF member aixaix. It's about 19 miles away, so I'll ride back. I walked the dogs this morning, and it's cold and windy. The weather is forecast to warm up, so I'll have to bring lots of clothes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-13, 09:56 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Second day in a row with morning temps in the upper 20s F, but the wind was milder today and the afternoon high is supposed to reach the 50s. My new commuter bike started shifting funny as I was leaving work yesterday so I swung by the bike shop and they adjusted the cable tension. Apparently the cables had stretched since getting the bike built last week. Nice having a bike shop on my route that I can stop at, which is one reason why I chose that shop to build the new bike.

Adjusting to standard time and having to ride home in the dark, while my morning commute is daylight again. I had installed some Conti GP 4000 25s on my new commuter because they have reflective sidewalls but I may have to go with some wider tires based on my ride yesterday. I've been commuting mostly on bikes with 28s and 32s for a while, and the Conti 25s were a little dicey at times when I hit some rough pavement that was not easily visible in the dark. My commute route is very hilly so I have to balance the advantages of wider tires against their added weight.
Old 11-14-13, 10:24 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
My commute route is very hilly so I have to balance the advantages of wider tires against their added weight.
It might be easier to adjust to a slight increase in weight than the roughness of the ride on narrower, harder, faster(?) tires.
Old 11-14-13, 10:32 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Coldest commute so far, computer readout showed 24°F at one point. It was mostly around 26-28 during the ride. Very little wind, though, which was nice. Took 10 minutes longer than Tuesday morning when I had a huge tail wind and it was 15 degrees warmer.

I wore the same stuff as Tuesday except added arm warmers, and I actually was a little chilly. Toes froze again as usual. Tried to keep a scarf over my face but as usual it wouldn't stay, so I let my nose freeze also. Gotta get some kind of balaclava or something.
I wear something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovat...=face+mask+ski

It works great. I originally got it for downhill skiing. As far as your toes, try wool socks with unvented shoes (I wear some lightweight hiking boots). My toes are nice and toasty on my 7 mile ride.
Old 11-14-13, 10:43 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
It wasn't bad. Started to rain right after I left home, but it didn't come down much harder during my commute. Thank goodness.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-14-13, 10:44 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
It might be easier to adjust to a slight increase in weight than the roughness of the ride on narrower, harder, faster(?) tires.
Oh, I can adjust. I just like to ride as fast as possible many days.
Old 11-14-13, 11:10 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Yesterday's commute was good for clearing the cobwebs out of my legs and head. Today felt better - similar conditions as yesterday (slightly above freezing, negligible wind) - but better energy, and more interesting. By interesting, I mean descending and ascending hills on glare ice. Yes, I have studded tires, but they're not exactly a silver bullet. Lots of slippage going uphill (stalled once on a particularly steep section where pedaling gave me no forward motion), and legs out and rear brakes feathered going downhill. Arterial roads were okay - they looked icy from the rain yesterday, but you could still get traction. Some residential areas are a little dicey. Today is supposed to be sunny and stay above freezing, so hopefully that will clear a few areas up. Just in time for tomorrow's snow.
Old 11-14-13, 11:26 AM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30F, no wind. The coldest morning so far this season. I tend to get cold easily (product of being born and raised in Texas!) and I did ok...kept my body, ears, and hands warm, but my toes were chilly and numb at the end. I think my shoes are too tight for cold riding. The frost was very pretty though!

Attached Images
Old 11-14-13, 11:50 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had a great ride. MTB commuter is still broke down pending decision whether to bother with it, so I donned a backpack and took my Paramount. It is MUCH faster and a sweeter ride. Running late so the temperature was very nice. I hit the peak of my heart pills or something, actually got out of breath without any chest pain, that hasn't happened in ages. Saw a white egret.
Old 11-14-13, 12:10 PM
iamjethro

Bikes: Khs Alite 300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 here this morning. Had gloves, but hands still got a little chilly. Mid 50's by going home time.
Old 11-14-13, 03:15 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night was interesting. Conditions were great: dark, warm 48degF and small tailwind!

Jackass looked right and then turned very quickly left out of a Lordco driveway, right towards me. I have lots of blinking lights/reflective gear--he just wasn't looking. I swerved left into the centre of the empty road, and he slammed the brakes and skidded to a halt right in front of me. I ripped into him & wanted to kill him. I don't usually do that.

Got a flat (shard of metal punctured the Gatorskin!) and I didnt get the entire shard out, so I got a second flat. I pushed to a well lit area (service station) and took my time repairing it properly. All good.

Almost got hit again: cab driver in a Prius slowly rolling down a quiet residential street while looking at his phone. I saw him well in advance and stopped, but it scared the **** out of him. Good. i yelled at him too.

Stopped at a (new to me) LBS to repair my BMX pawls/spring. SUPER helpful, didn't try to sell me new stuff I don't need. Great place: Ride On Again (Main St. at 19th)
Old 11-14-13, 03:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by timvan_78

Jackass looked right and then turned very quickly left out of a Lordco driveway, right towards me. ....

Got a flat (shard of metal punctured the Gatorskin!) and I didnt get the entire shard out, so I got a second flat. ....

Almost got hit again: cab driver in a Prius ....
All that in one night. Please don't tell me it's par for the course.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-14-13, 03:28 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
All that in one night. Please don't tell me it's par for the course.
Heck no! That's the crazy part: I have a really great 10 mile route and usually just sit down, shut up and pedal and enjoy the ride without incident! (like this morning)
Old 11-15-13, 05:59 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful red early morning sunrise clouds as I pedaled past the Lincoln Memorial. Temps very bearable 37F/3C.
Old 11-15-13, 07:40 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Temps in the low 30s F seemed mild after a couple of mornings in the 20s. Wore my new winter jacket, a Showers Pass Elite, for the first time and I think it's gonna be a winner. I started wearing my other rain jacket (Craft) a lot last winter and found that it worked well for general cycling in cold weather but it is not very breathable when temps get above 50 F. Showers Pass is supposed to set the bar for breathability as well as water resistance, so I splurged and bought one while they were on sale. I'll find out how breathable it is this afternoon as temps are supposed to reach the upper 50s.

Also wore my new cycling glasses for the first time. I had some money left over in my medical savings account (Flex), and you lose it if you don't use it by the end of the year. So I bought some really nice cycling glasses, Rudy Projects, with Transition lenses and scratch resistant coating. They are much lighter weight and don't fog up as easily as the glasses I had been using (Maui Jims). I had Transition lenses on my Maui's and they are the perfect solution for commuting and cycling in general, IMHO. The lenses adjust to light conditions, so they are clear when you are riding in low-light conditions and darken in the sunlight.
Old 11-15-13, 10:36 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I should have ridden all the way in. I cheated and carried my bike on the bus so I can ride home. It turned out to be a cold but non-rainy morning!

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-15-13, 10:40 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wore my regular shoes since it's supposed to warm this afternoon (mid 50s) so my toes got a bit frozen on the ride in (upper 20s). When is the weather going to make up its mind?

Otherwise a good ride in. A few hairy points on the ride home last night. I really need to get a better way of signaling turns that will work in the dusk/dark; it seems that cars aren't seeing my gloves.
Old 11-15-13, 11:16 AM
ShartRate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Balmy here this morning! Sunny and probably about 34F. Earlier this week it'd been a little unseasonably cold, like high-teen temperatures. Even if it was actually warmer than that at times, wind chill kept it pretty cold. But, I powered through that, which is encouraging to me because it isn't THAT much colder than that for TOO long here during the winter. I imagine I'll be back on the bus at some point but I don't imagine letting up any time soon.
Old 11-15-13, 11:26 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Got the folder back on the road after drop bar conversion. Not totally dialed in yet-- it's always a risk to make a maiden voyage out of a commute. I hate adjusting triples. Especially when I only partly true up the chainring....

I'm also out of shape. Something about the hills on the commute to the new nearer train station knock me out more in 1 mile than 3 miles all the way into New Haven. I also get there to find out every time that the train is leaving from the inbound track rather than the outbound-- a fast climb over the overpass is always in order....

I love the new station, though!!

Old 11-15-13, 11:36 AM
Idkutet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice tailwind out of the south made me forget about the cold & drizzle this morning at 5. You take what you can get around Tulsa... it'll be dry & the 70's on the way home
Old 11-15-13, 11:39 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good temp. for the commute this morning, 61 Deg.F when I left the house, down to 58 by the time I got to the Metro station.

Metro Train (Green Line) not too crowded today, no issues. Getting light (a bit) just as I rode from the Harbor station to work. Should be in the mid 70's by the time I rode home this evening. Have to remember to refill my TAP card!

Rick / OCRR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.