Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any roadies here have a hybrid for casual use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 07:30 AM
rbloem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a Specialized Roubaix carbon bike for serious road use and recently just ordered a Devinci Milano hybrid flat bar bike for those times where I don't have to get geared up. A nice bike to just jump on and go for a great country ride. Any of you serious riders have a hybrid on the side? Here is the bike I just ordered. How is the specs on this bike? Is this bike worth some upgraded parts down the road if I wanted to change them? Looks like the frame is the same frame as on the $1000 Devinci higher end model minus the carbon forks. Thoughts on everything mentioned and a big thank you! https://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_754_scategory_186
Old 08-07-17, 07:40 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I don't know if I qualify as a 'serious' roadie, so take my input with a grain of salt. I've had hybrid bikes in the past, two of them in fact, both of which I've converted to drop bars. Why? I didn't see a need for having flat bars. There is no difference to me between a 30 km ride and a 130 km ride other than the distance; I'd want a road bike for both. If it were me I'd get a second road bike instead, perhaps a cx/gravel type.
Old 08-07-17, 07:43 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Yes, although my hybrid came before the road bikes.
Old 08-07-17, 07:44 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant Escape hybrid that I had before my Spesh Roubaix road bike. I have not ridden it once since I bought the Roubaix. I don't know how serious of a rider I would be considered, but for reference I rode a double metric century yesterday. BTW there were people doing the 100 miler on hybrids yesterday as well, so I guess to each his own.
Old 08-07-17, 07:48 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you take those filthy words away from here.
Old 08-07-17, 07:58 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I use an mtb for a town bike, and I have a drop bar gravel bike in process.

Old 08-07-17, 08:09 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use my hybrid with the kids, if I want to go to a store on bike, and when I need to take a train to work. It's nice to have a bike to just jump on and go.
Old 08-07-17, 08:47 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'd consider a hybrid bike if it had drop bars, road geometry, and skinny tires.
Old 08-07-17, 09:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I only got back onto a road bike two months ago. Took awhile to get back into shape for drop bars due to neck and back injuries. Got a 1989 Centurion Ironman. Didn't want to spend much until I was sure I could handle drop bars again. So far I'm okay up to 30 miles. Gonna take awhile to get comfortable with longer rides.

My main bike was, and still is, a hybridized 1990s Univega Via Carisma. It was Univega's mountain bike-lite, pretty much what would later be called a rigid frame hybrid. I swapped out the flat bar for a 1-1/2" riser bar with some back sweep for the first year while working on my physical therapy to get my busted up back and neck back into shape. Now I'm ready to try a flat bar again, although I'm leaning toward an arced flat bar or possible a flipped albatross. The riser bar is comfy but not very aero and I'm pretty well topped out at 14 mph before wind resistance really drags me down.

The Univega frame geometry is pretty close to an old school steel frame touring road bike with horizontal top tube. More relaxed fork rake so it's better suited to gravel and rough chipseal roads. And it'll take 700x38 tires. That's the main reason I enjoy it more than the road bike. I don't feel beaten up after long rides on bad roads.

The Ironman is significantly faster only on smooth pavement and climbs, or into stiff headwinds, and is pretty much maxed out with 700x23 tires, although some 25c tires that run smaller than spec might squeeze in there.
Old 08-07-17, 10:11 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't know if I qualify as a 'serious' roadie, so take my input with a grain of salt. I've had hybrid bikes in the past, two of them in fact, both of which I've converted to drop bars. Why? I didn't see a need for having flat bars. There is no difference to me between a 30 km ride and a 130 km ride other than the distance; I'd want a road bike for both. If it were me I'd get a second road bike instead, perhaps a cx/gravel type.
I feel the same way. Specialized TriCross Elite is my "hybrid" for just getting around or whatever. Took the knobbies off and added some commuter friendly smoother tires. It has a pretty cush ride and if I want to open it up on a long flat road there are no issues.
Old 08-07-17, 10:30 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The short answer is yes I have a hybrid. If all goes well I won't by the end of the week. It's up for sale right now. I found that when I'm riding on dirt I want to be on a MTB, even a vintage MTB. When I'm on asphalt, I want to be on a road bike. I don't like the compromise bike. In my opinion, the statement "Hybrids can do everything on and off road, but not as well as the specialty bikes do it" is correct.
Old 08-07-17, 12:04 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
In the quest for a utility/beater bike (low theft potential), I've been through:

- basic hard-tail mtn bike (heavy, clunky)
- 'urban' bike 3x9, flat bar, mech disk, ~30mm tires (too small, but fun except for flat bars)
- & currently: single speed CX cantis (light, simple, fun, moderately stylish)

I just don't like flat bars- never have since the first 3 speed as a kid. Passable for mtb or short trips,

but pity those out on the road with that set up.
Old 08-07-17, 12:05 PM
ClickClickBoom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just have another road bike set up more relaxed with wider tires.

I don't see the need for a hybrid. I have road bikes and mountain/XC bikes. I don't see the need for an in between bike.
Old 08-07-17, 12:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
The question is why not. Miles you pick up commuting or tooling around town are good miles to add into your basic training program. Plus there's a lot to be said for sometimes just doing some low key riding.
Old 08-07-17, 12:51 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpk79
i'd consider a hybrid bike if it had drop bars, road geometry, and skinny tires.
+1
Old 08-07-17, 12:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have an old early 90s MTB for casual use. I bought it at a yard sale when the kids were babies in order to pull their trailer. They're in middle school now. I kept the bike. Use it for commuting, shopping, bopping around with the wife, anytime I might need to lock up a bike on the street.
Old 08-07-17, 05:00 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Me - no. I'm not a racer, but used to the position. For local runs - I use my car. When I am riding I put on the shorts and cleats.

For kid (many bikes), currently, he likes to tool around on a fixie - in cycling kit.
Ages 12-15 he used to use one of these BMX like heavy jump bikes, before he got a divers license.

We have some in the garage from others/parents/friends. Not ridden even once a year.
Old 08-07-17, 05:12 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
I've always had a town bike set-up w/ an upright-ish position, mudguards, lights, some cargo capacity and wider tires for commuting to work, errands, lousy weather and just plootering about. Always built from an old machine that can be left locked for a bit w/o undue worry but useful and fun to ride around on.

It's not always a desperate sprint in the City Limits Sign Tuesday World Championships.......

-Bandera
Old 08-07-17, 07:45 PM
kbarch

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This year I started using Citibike to get to and from the office - 10 minutes each way from Port Authority, and ~20 minutes to a couple of job sites. At home, no need to use a bike for errands or anything like that. However, if I were to get a flat bar bike of some sort, it would be this: , in a heartbeat.

When I first saw it, I thought it might be good for foul weather training (IGH, belt drive, and fenders), but geometry wasn't satisfactory, and neither was gearing, so I passed. I still don't have a "rain" bike...
Old 08-07-17, 08:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The question is why not. Miles you pick up commuting or tooling around town are good miles to add into your basic training program. Plus there's a lot to be said for sometimes just doing some low key riding.
I go to the grocery store on my Cervelo sometimes. Easier than parking my car in Seattle. Do recovery rides on it, too.
Old 08-07-17, 08:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I go to the grocery store on my Cervelo sometimes. Easier than parking my car in Seattle. Do recovery rides on it, too.
I don't like locking up expensive bikes. Plus I like running a little fatter tire when commuting. YMMV.
Old 08-07-17, 08:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've never shackled my Cervelo, she's too free a spirit. A grocer in Queen Anne lets me store it in the staff area. I've told their manager over the years that that's the reason I go there, they're always very friendly to me.
Old 08-07-17, 10:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix that I use on club rides and most other rides where I'm not locking it. I live near a college town and I'll ride my Gary Fisher Nirvana when going for coffee or lunch and locking it. The GF has racks so I can bring my computer and books to do work in my favorite coffeehouse. My LHT is for touring and I have an inexpensive ss/fixie for training and no think cycling.

I consider having different bikes as having the right tools for the right jobs.
Old 08-07-17, 11:34 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I really dislike hybrid bikes so I just build up old bikes as casual riders. Each one has its own quirks and it's a lot of fun.

Last edited by hairnet; 08-07-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 12:08 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I used to despise hybrids thinking they were an abomination in the eyes of the cycling gods. However, this year I've exclusively ridden them and have yet to take out one of my road bikes. Funny how things change. Oh, and I'm definitely not a hard core roadie or even a hard core cyclist for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.