Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has any used this stuff to restore black anodized aluminum parts finish?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 08:55 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts

https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/birchwood-casey-aluminum-black-metal-finish-3-oz-bottle-15125/CLN-17-004.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwkN6EBhBNEiwADVfya_zHJxmy_CsXbPHpBtNG95RpJxDVZu2psHgu29mGfCHJGBwskP6YIBoCKaAQA vD_BwE
I'm currently trying to restore a hard to find Stronglight Delta aero seatpost with a quill type wedge. Unfortunately the black anodizing on the micro adjust saddle rail clamping pieces for the post, had seen better days, and there are a few bad scratches on them that I would want to sand off. I was thinking of maybe using a home anodizing kit to refinish the clamping parts, but they don't look that easy to use, then I stumbled upon this stuff used by gun restorers. I think it's similar to "parkerizing" done to bolts or "bluing" done to guns. Just curious if the finish would be durable enough.

Last edited by Chombi1; 05-09-21 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 09:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
When I was in the Army we used stuff like this for touching up scuffed rank insignias.

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products...lem-refinisher

It's not the same stuff, but this looks similar. Gives a matte black look.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-09-21, 09:41 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I can vouch for Birchwood Casey's other products, Tru-Oil and their instant bluing (more black than blue).

I'd say this would be worth a try. Note their warning that color will vary depending on the alloy. Try someplace that can't be seen like the top of the clamp facing the saddle first. Can also test under the insert line if the post area needs touching up. On my bikes it's things like under-saddle bags and such that damage the finish.
Old 05-09-21, 10:47 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/birchwood-casey-aluminum-black-metal-finish-3-oz-bottle-15125/CLN-17-004.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwkN6EBhBNEiwADVfya_zHJxmy_CsXbPHpBtNG95RpJxDVZu2psHgu29mGfCHJGBwskP6YIBoCKaAQA vD_BwE
I'm currently trying to restore a hard to find Stronglight Delta aero seatpost with a quill type wedge. Unfortunately the black anodizing on the micro adjust saddle rail clamping pieces for the post, had seen better days, and there are a few bad scratches on them that I would want to sand off. I was thinking of maybe using a home anodizing kit to refinish the clamping parts, but they don't look that easy to use, then I stumbled upon this stuff used by gun restorers. I think it's similar to "parkerizing" done to bolts or "bluing" done to guns. Just curious if the finish would be durable enough.
I have. I wasn't too pleased with it but I don't know what would be better. I used it on a topline crank and a raceface turbine LP crank. It didn't 'take' evenly and at certain angles in the light it was noticeable. Sort of too glossy compared to the older anodized finish. Some spots it wouldn't seem to absorb but my prep might have been lacking. I would say it improved the appearance but was best viewed from a few feet away. I too am curious about home anodizing but it looks like a mess.