Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal suggestions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedal suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 10:35 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Pedal suggestions

Hey all. Any suggestions for a quality set of pedals for short, fast rides? I'm looking at Shimano 105s, but I see some LOOK products that are more reasonably priced. Anything else I should be looking at. Budget is up to $175.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-23, 10:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
What are you using currently?

Do your shoes take 2-bolt clearts, 3-bolt cleats, 4 bolt cleats?
Old 07-18-23, 11:13 AM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
What am I currently using? Don't laugh, but I'm using MKS Campagnolo reproductions with the toe cage (clips) on all my bikes. That's what I started on and I never felt the need to move away from them. But I think it's now time to grow up and get a set of quality clipless. Any suggestions that you have would be really appreciated.
Old 07-18-23, 11:21 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I like Time pedals.
They clip in/out easily, are tolerant of dirt, the cleats last a long time and don't scratch floors.
Old 07-18-23, 11:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I've been a happy Speedplay user forever. The free float plays nice with my knees, and the 2-sided format makes getting clipped in a breeze.
Old 07-18-23, 11:30 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I recently purchased a new R8000 (Ultegra) pair off eBay from a Washington seller named Pro-cyclist or similar.
Very good price (around $120, I think) and quick delivery. Personally, I would only go Ultegra or Dura-Ace, for their high-end quality.
Further, I recommend going the red fixed-mode cleat. Both the cleat and pedal will last far longer.
Good luck!
Old 07-18-23, 11:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I like Shimano clipless road pedals. I have current 105 and DuraAce pedals. Functionally they are the same. The bearings are just smoother on the latter. 105s are good value.
Old 07-18-23, 11:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I recently purchased a new R8000 (Ultegra) pair off eBay from a Washington seller named Pro-cyclist or similar.
Very good price (around $120, I think) and quick delivery. Personally, I would only go Ultegra or Dura-Ace, for their high-end quality.
Further, I recommend going the red fixed-mode cleat. Both the cleat and pedal will last far longer.
Good luck!
I value the longevity of my knees more than the cleats! I get at least a year out of a pair of cleats and the pedals themselves don't seem to wear at all.
Old 07-18-23, 12:02 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I value the longevity of my knees more than the cleats! I get at least a year out of a pair of cleats and the pedals themselves don't seem to wear at all.
Hopefully, the OP's knees do not impact his decision. My guess is his are okay, since he currently uses toe clips.
If someone rides for any length of time on wet roads, a floating cleat will grind away at the pedal.
Anyway, that's what I've seen with a few setups used by others.
I generally reach around 14,000 miles with the fixed mode cleats, but mostly "wear out" due from walking! lol
Old 07-18-23, 12:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Lots of options and pretty much all of them are viable. If you have the chance to try some out at a LBS or from a friend, you may wish to do so.

FWIW I use Look Keo 2 and with the grey (slight float) cleats and am pleased, but honestly any of the suggestions could work for you.
Old 07-18-23, 12:19 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I really like Speedplay (now Wahoo), but I also use Shimano SPD-SL on one bike. I have 105 pedals. I think 105s are a good value. Going up to Ultegra or Dura Ace doesn't give much benefit per dollar spent.

Speedplay sets come with shims and adaptors to mount their four bolt cleats on any three bolt road shoes. They are not very walkable if you just use the bare steel cleats, but you can slip a rubber cover over the cleat when off your bike, and it helps a lot. There's also a model with a rubber piece surrounding the cleat at all times that helps. It makes them about as walkable as SPD-SL. I find them easier to clip in and clip out than SPD-SL, but a little harder than a two-sided SPD (mountain or touring pedals/cleats with two bolts).

The Look Keo line and some Time models are also reportedly very good. It might come down to what you can find a good deal on.
Old 07-18-23, 01:22 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'm amazed -- 10 responses so far and not one recommendation for 2-bolt cleats and walkable shoes. I know its the road forum, but actually even expected some usual suspects to chime in with the just ride flat pedals.. there's no scientific proof yadda yadda

Anyway, I'll pile on with another Speedplay recommendation, though admittedly haven't tried the Wahoo version of them, and the OP's price point means the Comp model with the easy tension cleats.
Old 07-18-23, 01:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Good luck!
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Let the knees decide. They know and will tell you. For some, float is G**'s gift. For others like me, float would have me getting doctor installed aftermarket knees. (I knew float was out of the question for me long before clipless pedals were invented. Took until 2000 before anyone told me no-float clipless systems existed. Before that it was salesman after salesman telling my float was G**'s gift to all.

A smart first clipless pedal might well be LOOK or Shimano's LOOK near copy(SPD-SL) where one can use any of several cleats with varying degrees of float. (Shimano made those pedals that could go either way because their showcase sponsored rider insisted on using no-float pedals. He won 7 Tour de Frances on Shimano equipment except LOOK pedals and cleat; always using the black no-float cleats.)

Edit: As Broctoon point out for Speedplay, there are rubber covers for both both LOOK and the SPD-SL pedals. (Kool Kovers. At many bike shops.) Spares floors and makes walking on the cleats far less treacherous. Saves the cleats too.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-18-23 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-18-23, 01:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm amazed -- 10 responses so far and not one recommendation for 2-bolt cleats and walkable shoes. I know its the road forum, but actually even expected some usual suspects to chime in with the just ride flat pedals.. there's no scientific proof yadda yadda

Anyway, I'll pile on with another Speedplay recommendation, though admittedly haven't tried the Wahoo version of them, and the OP's price point means the Comp model with the easy tension cleats.
Question - does Speedplay have a pedal that can go float or no-float with just a pedal change. I don't know so I didn't list it inm y pedal choices above.
Old 07-18-23, 01:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Question - does Speedplay have a pedal that can go float or no-float with just a pedal change. I don't know so I didn't list it inm y pedal choices above.
The old Speedplay Zero (which is different than the Wahoo Speedplay Zero) had an adjustable float range, including down to 0deg. I've always used the old X-series pedals, which do not have an adjustable range.
Old 07-18-23, 01:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The old Speedplay Zero (which is different than the Wahoo Speedplay Zero) had an adjustable float range, including down to 0deg. I've always used the old X-series pedals, which do not have an adjustable range.
The new Speedplay zeros do this too.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-18-23, 02:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The new Speedplay zeros do this too.

Good info. I'm not deeply familiar with the Wahoo versions other than they look a lot like the old X-series. It seems that they have included some of the old Zero-series features.
Old 07-18-23, 02:27 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I was on Looks going from the start of clipless. A few years on Shimano's. Spend 5 years or so on Speed play. Then went back to Shimano a couple years ago. The last change I was shopping to replace several worn out pedals & decided I wanted a power option. Went with DA first then a pair of Rally dual sided. Never tried Time. All reasonable solutions in my opinion, since it's a point of contact like seats or handlebars its individual & subject to your fit/setup. My rating would be:

Retention: All about the same in my experience. I set up with a light release, still have a 1200-1300 watt jump, and have not had any retention issues.
Ease of clipping in: Speed play > Shimano > Look. Close but for me the DA pedals in particular sit in a nice position to catch.
Ease of clipping out: All about the same
Quality of float: Speed play > Shimano > Look, I run the yellow cleats
Stability: Shimano = Look > Speed play
Durability: Shimano = Look > Speed play
Walking in cleats: All about the same & a non factor for me
Old 07-18-23, 02:52 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Speedplays are a bit controversial. There is a British bike fitter on the Cade media YouTube channel who preaches against them. (Blanking on his name right now). I've been riding Look cleats since the 80s and never had any reason to switch. I use the gray cleats with float. I've heard good things about the Time road pedals. I have Time MTB pedals on my gravel bike and they are really nice. Easy to clip in and out, good float, solid engagement.

The truth is, any of the pedal systems should be fine once you get used to them, assuming you set up the cleats correctly.
Old 07-18-23, 03:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I have Time MTB pedals on my gravel bike and they are really nice. Easy to clip in and out, good float, solid engagement.
Agreed. I'm using Time ATAC pedals on my gravel bike, MTB, and an old school pair on my 20+yo singlespeed MTB. They've been my choice in the dirt for a very long time.
Old 07-18-23, 03:40 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Look pp276 or Look pp286 or Look pp247 or Look pp356 for the road bikes and the SPD-T- 780 or SPD-T-8000 for the MTBs
Old 07-18-23, 10:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
Bought a set of Look Carbon pedals and they were tough to clip into and squeaked when climbing out of the saddle. Squeaks are not acceptable. Bought a pair of Shimanos and liked them so well, I bought another pair for the backup bike.

Actually, I bought two pairs of Look Keos, one the mid=level and it squeaked too. Went to the internets and it is a very common complaint.

Old 07-19-23, 03:09 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Well I ride flat pedals and Altra trail running shoes even on my road bike these days. I too grew up with toe clips and straps, bought the very first LOOK clipless pedals, the Time pedals in 1990. I have large feet so the larger platform of the Time was nice. I have nothing against clipless pedals but I can't say I ever liked hard soled cycling shoes, mostly because of the foot shape and poor fit(squished toes). I see now Bont(not a company back then) has shoes that are more shaped like my feet, but frankly, I enjoy being able to get off my bike and walk normally. All my shoes are zero drop, for reference, and low profile save the Altra(25mm stack) and that's because my thinner stack height(Merrel Vapor Glove @6.5mm) shoes were bruising the bones of my feet !

I realize many cyclists are enamored with "performance", keeping track of how far, how fast, power etc., or should I say the industry that promotes that way of thinking would have one believe that it is all important. It's never been my thing though. I don't play games, and all of that is surely a numbers(commodities) game, rather like Monopoly. I like to hammer at times, but have no care about how fast I'm going in terms of a number(as a commodity) as that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual experience of the doing/being/living IT ! Seeing a number on a device doesn't add or subtract from that. Numbers, it appears, are all about numbers. I'm not a number, non-quantifiable, I'm M-E Me , as we all are.... no one can deny themselves.

So hey, I don't see how ArgoMan changing to clipless pedals from clipped will be anything but a lateral move. I've done things like that too, getting swept into believing something that's already working should be ditched in favor for something else, because it's "better". Better for who ? The one selling it, of course, hah hah ! I can't help but think of all those late night infomercials I used to see, when I had a TV that is! It was so easy to get swept up into believing I actually needed a product that I had never heard of, because the "demonstration" was so utterly convincing that I just HAD to have it and my life was less-than without it. I never bought anything from such, but the draw was undeniable, until I turned off the TV and realized I was perfectly fine without a fix for something that wasn't broken.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-19-23, 07:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Well here goes...

What makes a "quality" pedal for short fast rides? Usually big bucks are more for marginal gains that involve longer rides so one can be fast at the end.

I'm happy with my pd-a520's. SPD cleat but on a pedal intended for road use. I've used them on all my bikes for the last 13 years. When new they don't flip to the proper angle to clip in. But after being used for a while they begin to act like they should.

They are reasonably light a 315 grams. If not weight weenie enough then there is the PD-A600 which is a similar SPD pedal at 286 grams. The top of the line DuraAce SPD-SL PD-R9100 is 228 grams for comparison.

My pd-a520's are easy to lube and if you have the Shimano pedal tool. Only one pedal ever needed the bearings adjusted out of the four that I have.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-19-23, 07:42 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey all. Any suggestions for a quality set of pedals for short, fast rides? I'm looking at Shimano 105s, but I see some LOOK products that are more reasonably priced. Anything else I should be looking at. Budget is up to $175.

Thanks!
What exactly is the problem with your current ones? IMO, I don't believe the investment is worth the marginal gains (if there are any?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.