Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How can I tell if my Vintage Road Bikes are road worthy at speed?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How can I tell if my Vintage Road Bikes are road worthy at speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 08:40 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Plus 1: A small % of us are geriatric riders who intend to keep rolling along for a few more years. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-05-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-05-23, 08:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Santa Fe. Jelly.

If your goal is to cruise around town, yeah, new tubs & brake blocks.

But you're talking "at speed", like storming Bobcat Pass. Hmm.

Unless you've regularly been doing yoga since the days you 'rode a lot', you'll find those bars further away and much lower than they were 40 years ago.

Ya know, from 30 meters, bikes still look much the same as they did 90 years ago. The reality is these simple machines have changed a lot. 'Cycling' has changed some, too.

You're not me (for which you can be grateful). Here's what I would do: I'd set up a shrine to my youth in the cave, featuring these two luscious old bikes. Then I'd go buy a new Time ADHX Ekar and make an effort to ride the wheels off it in the mountains around Santa Fe.

Last edited by tcs; 08-05-23 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-05-23, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
I skimmed through the thread (sorry, all you guys giving good, if voluminous advice!). The bikes look fantastic in the pictures!

When I get an old bike, I strip it completely down, wash the frame, polish it with something like Meguiar's Scratch-X, do all the touchup painting, and then wax it with high quality car wax. That gives me a chance to inspect every inch of the frame, get rid of any surface rust and see if there's any structural rust, plus it makes the frame gleam! Meanwhile, I clean everything with a good degrease, and clean the bearings from the headset, BB, and hubs in solvent. For hubs, I use new bearings, because I bought a bunch of them. but as long as the bearings and races are clean and free of pitting, they're probably reusable. Get new pads, cables, and housing, and of course new bar tape. Then just build the bike up, slowly and carefully. Once you're done, it should work just as well as it did 40 years ago.

On fit, as someone mentioned, you may not be as flexible as you were when you put the bikes away. Old bars have a lot of reach and drop, so you might consider something more modern, which might make them more usable, even without swapping for a shorter stem. I like the Soma Highway One bars.

Regarding tubulars, keep an eye out for sales. One of my bikes has a tubular wheelset, and I snagged some Vittoria Corsas for $33 each. Vendors seem to be getting rid of old stock, though it's possible that wave has passed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-05-23, 10:31 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
I have far worse looking bikes that ride regularly, or at least as regularly as I can get. I'd inspect it closely to ensure nothing looks like it is likely to fail, but I'd imagine riding those with no hesitation, once cables, chains, and brake pads were replaced.

Some here are riding bikes from the 1920's to 1950's, often looking far worse than what yours would look like if you cleaned them up and did something about the rust. If you have not found info, maybe read up on oxalic acid (wood bleach) baths or other rust treatments.
Old 08-05-23, 02:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Changing stems means disturbing the bar tape! Don’t do that before you put some new miles on those babies.