Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern link C8 rims repair

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern link C8 rims repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 07:05 AM
yia_link

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tern link C8 rims repair

Hi all,

this is my first post here and don't know much about bikes.

I took my bike to the repair shop today. They said the rims need to be replaced, as well as new brakes and brake pads, possibly a new chain. They're asking me for 350 euros (I bought the bike for 500 euros). I was wondering if someone could tell me what exactly are the rims I need so I can check for a price myself. I'm also wondering how hard it would be to replace myself.

Thanks
Old 02-02-22, 07:46 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
The rims are just the aluminum hoops that hold the tire in place. They are attached to the hubs with spokes. It is probably cheaper for you to just replace the entire wheels and relocate the tires and gear set to the new ones. 350 Euros is an insane amount to pay for these (even including the brakes and chain). This is all easy stuff that you can do yourself if you have any mechanical inclination at all. Plus, there are innumerable youtube videos to follow.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 02-02-22, 07:56 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
As you’re paying in Euros, I’m guessing there’s a Decathlon near you. You can get a set of wheels from them - look for 406 diameter wheels with a 135mm wide rear hub and a 74mm wide front hub. You’ll need to move the inner tubes and tyres across from the old to the new as well as the gear cassette. If you want to get your hands dirty, replacing your chain and your brake blocks is also quite easy and again Decathlon will sell the parts. You shouldn’t need many tools for these changes (I think you can guess where you can get them from) but if you look on YouTube you can find how-to videos that’ll walk you through all these details. Tools and parts should cost you less than the mechanics will charge, it’s a question of how much you value your own time.
Old 02-02-22, 08:00 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
if the repair shop referred to your WHEELS as RIMS ....find a more knowledgeable repair facility
Old 02-02-22, 11:08 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Unlike the others, I find supporting the local bike shop is a good thing, since you will invariably need them to fix your bike at some point if you don't have all the tools you need to do home maintenance repairs. Investing in a set of tools for bike maintenance will only pay back in a few years after several maintenance cycles. And I'm sure Youtube videos will be a great help in how to do it.
So you need to put the numbers, practicality of space in your living area, especially if you live in an apartment. First of all, the shop says you need to replace the entire brake system? Did you have an accident or did the brakes fail and/or feel like they aren't biting? How old is this bike? Wearable items like the brake pads and wheels I understand, but new brakes are quite unusual repairs. The V brakes are usually bullet proof and last years, only need to replace the spring and cables once they are too frayed to be safely used. Brake pads are relatively easy to replace on your own, with the only equipment needed being a hex key and basic understanding of cable pulling. If you really need to replace the V brakes, that too is relatively easy to replace once you source the part.
Now the wheel rim wear is going to be difficult to help without pics. You will have to do research on the web about rim wear and how to judge about when to replace the rim. And yes, the dynamo in the Link does cost quite a bit and factored into the cost. If you do need to replace the rims, you can always check the 2nd hand market for those who upgraded to fancier rims. Those usually don't have dynamos built in though.
Chains are also "relatively" easy to replace, requiring minimally a needle nose pliers, to special tools to open the chain, and a chain breaker, and some lube.
My biggest concern would be why the brakes need to be replaced. Are you sure they meant brakes or the cables? If it's the cable, that is also easy to replace with just a hex key.
Originally Posted by yia_link
Hi all,

this is my first post here and don't know much about bikes.

I took my bike to the repair shop today. They said the rims need to be replaced, as well as new brakes and brake pads, possibly a new chain. They're asking me for 350 euros (I bought the bike for 500 euros). I was wondering if someone could tell me what exactly are the rims I need so I can check for a price myself. I'm also wondering how hard it would be to replace myself.

Thanks
Old 02-03-22, 05:19 AM
yia_link

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering whether buying entire wheels would be an option. What about the dynamo etc.?

Do you think it would make sense to sell the bike to someone who could fix it and get a new bike myself?
Old 02-03-22, 07:32 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
I was wondering whether buying entire wheels would be an option. What about the dynamo etc.?

Do you think it would make sense to sell the bike to someone who could fix it and get a new bike myself?
Yes, buy new wheels.
Old 02-03-22, 10:42 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Buying a new wheel with dynamo will cost quite a bit. If your dynamo is working, you may be able to just transfer it to a new rim.

Old 02-13-22, 08:22 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
Buying a new wheel with dynamo will cost quite a bit. If your dynamo is working, you may be able to just transfer it to a new rim.
This would involve re-building the wheel. It's not tremendously difficult if you're reasonably handy. I've had to replace worn rear rims on 2 Dahons and a Tern, and a front rim on a wheel with a dynohub that started on a Dahon and wound up on my Tern.
If you do it yourself, the replacement rim must be *exactly* the same as the original (particularly with respect to the "Effective Rim Diameter"), or you may also need new spokes.
My experience is that these small-wheel bikes (with rim brakes) wear through rims faster than those with larger wheels, especially if ridden in wet or (worse!) slushy conditions. Learning to re-build your own wheels is an enjoyable, satisfying, and probably cost-saving enterprise.

Rear wheel of my Tern Verge S11i, re-built with a more durable rim. New spokes were required.

Front wheel with a Shutter Precision hub and replacement Kinetix rim.