Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do You Consider Your Commute More Dangerous When it's Dark?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Do You Consider Your Commute More Dangerous When it's Dark?
Much more dangerous
11.90%
Slightly more dangerous
30.16%
About the same
19.05%
Slightly less dangerous
21.43%
Much less dangerous
15.87%
Don't know / not sure / other
1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 07:53 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts

Or less dangerous than your daylight commutes? Why? Give us a few details about the conditions of your commutes in the dark.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 11-09-10 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-09-10, 08:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I was torn between about the same and slightly more dangerous. Recreational rides are a bit dicier when the dark comes so early, because it's harder to see obstacles. But I tend to take the same route to and from work these days, so I know where the pot holes are, where to expect weird traffic situations, etc.

It's easier to see cars by their lights, though, especially around corners. For me, that balances other things out a bit.
Old 11-09-10, 08:16 PM
trailz 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Without doubt, dark is more dangerous. Here in the suburbs, drivers aren't looking for bikes at night. I've had cars turn right in front of me — even when my helmet light is right on them.
Old 11-09-10, 08:33 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Working third shift, I find that the commute home is more dangerous. On my way in to work usually the traffic is very light--I might see a dozen cars over the whole six mile commute, maybe. In the morning it is a whole 'nother game, at least a dozen cars will go by while I am waiting to make the left turn to get on the main road.

As an added bonus, for about half the ride home, instead of having a nice shoulder alongside four lanes of traffic, there is a curb alongside four lanes of traffic.
Old 11-09-10, 08:40 PM
iManda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute might actually be slightly safer at night. Between Brooklyn, NY and midtown Manhattan, traffic is heavier in the morning and I feel like I blend in (in a bad way) with the crush. The most dangerous encounters involve getting squeezed by cars. Traffic is lighter at night and I feel more visible with my "light array" which includes a helmet blinkie. I sense cars giving me a wider berth. In general, I enjoy biking at night so maybe I'm just rationalizing.
Old 11-09-10, 08:50 PM
Maxxxie

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 4 Carbon Feminine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, the night-time commute is probably safer. I ride home mostly on bike paths, plus a busy road that has a cycle lane. On the main road, the bike's lights make me stand out more at night than in the daytime (obviously), and drivers are so used to bikes being on this road that they're actually pretty courteous and attentive. For the bike paths, because it's dark, I don't have to deal with the pedestrian traffic. It's mostly other bike commuters riding home with the occasional ninja.

Ninjas aside, I think the reduced foot traffic on the paths makes the overall ride safer.

Max
Old 11-09-10, 08:59 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its more dangerous for me. I can't see as well and I doubt drivers can see me as well either even though in theory I have lights that should stand out more than the daytime. If nothing else its harder to see whether or not squirrels are running into my path which is somewhat of a legit concern. LOL I tend to go slower in the dark and I am more cautious. I rode in the dark tonight and I kept a pretty good speed since I know the route well. Honestly I think its more dangerous to drive at night too for what its worth.
Old 11-09-10, 09:19 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel that I am seen better at night. It's hard to ignore something as lit up as I am on a dark country road. It allmost makes me laugh somtims to see how far over the center line a car will go, because they cant figure out what I am.
Old 11-09-10, 09:33 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For me probably slightly less.
There is a far less traffic here in the evening.
My commute is very scenic in daylight and in the daytime quite a few drivers simply drive into the ditch every year just because they were gawking at the lovely views. At night they are paying more attention to the road.
Old 11-09-10, 09:35 PM
madhouse

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[+1 I feel I am much safer at night. I get passed by 8-12 cars in a 15 mile stretch. It's a straight flat road so the drivers can see me for miles before they catch up to me. 10 of those 12 cars are the same ones every day, so they know who/what I am... they still give me a wider berth when it's dark than they do in the light. The scariest time is dusk when visibility is greatly reduced but the blinkies don't have much effect. QUOTE=Milice;11763214]It almost makes me laugh somtims to see how far over the center line a car will go, because they cant figure out what I am.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-10, 09:37 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine is a really less dangerous in the morning even though I leave the house at 4:00 a.m. there is a lot less traffic. My commute takes me through a warehouse area with 4 lanes and a turn lane. Even at that on my way home I sometimes have to use the sidewalk a ways and then when I get into our town, even though its pretty small there is a lot of traffic on the main roads. Fortunately I can take the side streets and then its not bad in the afternoon
Old 11-09-10, 10:35 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it definitely more dangerous, and ive got a high powered light set. I've got subpar eyesight to begin with, and oncoming headlamps blur my vision and wash the contrast in the road making it hard to see. I've just obtained a Supernova e3 lighting set to try, perhaps it will improve things. Night vision is my primary factor in night time being considered more hazardous for myself.

Living downtown, the streets are tight with parked cars packing the sides of the road, lots of collision opportunities for pedestrians and jaywalkers, people opening car doors opening and drivers swinging around narrow corners, darkness only makes it harder to see and react to those kinds of threats in time.

A lot of people will base their input on traffic volume or route variances between their daytime / pre-work and night time / post-work commutes. I would be interested to know what people thought if their riding conditions were more homogenized though, and the primary variable was night / day only.
Old 11-09-10, 10:41 PM
Shawnrs

Bikes: SteelWool Tweed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The morning dark ride is safer than my early evening dark ride home. Way less cars on the road at 5am compare to the fall winter, early spring 4pm (Dark)which at peak crunch for the route I ride.
Old 11-09-10, 10:43 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The most dangerous is sunset, sunrise. I will wait at work a bit longer to choose darkness over sunset.
Old 11-09-10, 11:31 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I find it less dangerous, my high powered lighting and reflective gear is better at attracting a motorist's attention than during the daytime.
Old 11-09-10, 11:33 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trailz
Without doubt, dark is more dangerous. Here in the suburbs, drivers aren't looking for bikes at night. I've had cars turn right in front of me — even when my helmet light is right on them.
To say it's more dangerous just scares a lot of people from doing it. Every cyclists has strategies to deal with the situation and these make the commute no more dangerous.

Sample strategies:
1. Have a good set of lights.
2. Have a backup set of lights.
3. Know you route very well. If you are travelling on an unknown route, go very slowly and keep your eyes peeled for potholes, craters, manhole covers, railroad tracks, debris, etc.
4. Don't consider your nighttime commute an opportunity to practice your Mark Cavendish sprints.
5. If possible, ride routes with less traffic (often daytime traffic-congested routes turn into good riding conditions during nightime, though...)
Old 11-09-10, 11:35 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
The most dangerous is sunset, sunrise. I will wait at work a bit longer to choose darkness over sunset.
+1
Old 11-09-10, 11:39 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I have less car traffic to deal with on the roads after dark, and the MUP is mostly deserted then too.
Old 11-09-10, 11:51 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel safer at night because of less traffic and my lights shine more, but since hand signals are no good at night, I chose "about the same". Then again, who really notices my hand signals in the daytime?
Old 11-09-10, 11:59 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hands down it is safer at night. Most major roads drop to around 1 car a minute. Sometimes If I get going fast enough I can go 8+ km without having to see another vehicle. Sure the few cars I run into have a harder time seeing me, but with so few cars the risk is almost non-existent. In the summer I enjoy going out at 2am for a ride, knowing I will not have to fight for my lane.
Old 11-10-10, 04:26 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I agree. At those times it's hard to see even with sunglasses on. Sometimes when I leave work I ride on the sidewalk for a little bit until the sun goes down ,and then get back on the road. In winter when there is snow on the ground , the reflection is so strong it's almost impossible to see anything.
Old 11-10-10, 04:32 AM
deanp
On the big ring

Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
Working third shift, I find that the commute home is more dangerous. On my way in to work usually the traffic is very light--I might see a dozen cars over the whole six mile commute, maybe. In the morning it is a whole 'nother game, at least a dozen cars will go by while I am waiting to make the left turn to get on the main road.

As an added bonus, for about half the ride home, instead of having a nice shoulder alongside four lanes of traffic, there is a curb alongside four lanes of traffic.
I'm a night worker also, so my "night" ride is around 930pm on the way to work. It is much "safer" than my morning daylight ride home since there is about 90% less traffic at night. I did not like the past couple of weeks when the morning ride started in the dark. I'm glad DST ended and I can now ride home in the light.
Old 11-10-10, 05:25 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
This time of year, the morning commute through the woods is hella dark. There are no street lights most of the way and only the ambient lighting from the moon available if the lights go out. I have lights mounted on the bike and helmet mounted and visibility is very good in the dark. My commute route is car free and the only real danger in the dark is if the lights go out. With two sets running, that's a slim chance. There is no difference in my case riding in the dark or the daylight.
Old 11-10-10, 06:06 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1

I was definitely more worried the other day as I took a different route and was riding into the sunset, all the while hoping the cars had good enough visibility to see that I was there on the road with them.

Otherwise, I suppose I am more visible in the darkness due to blinking and flashing lights and reflective material on the tires and clothes. That said, more of my riding in darkness is in the morning when there is far less traffic.
Old 11-10-10, 06:59 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cars seem to see me better with my reflective vest and give me more space on average. I also notice that is less lit areas, they can't distinguish me from a motorcycle or a one-eyed car and they tend to wait for me to pass before pulling out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.