Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Did a trial run today!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Did a trial run today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 10:02 AM
she

Bikes: A Raleigh detour 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a trial run today!

Yeah I'm sick but really its beautiful out today and there was no one to stop me I rode my railroad bike and after making sure the tires were firm I jumped on.I went almost 5 miles and it took me 35 minutes with 1 full stop at a red light. There were some hills ,one sucker and some tiny ones. Head wind was none going but coming back was a bit stronger. Toward the end I got a wee bit tired and my hands numbed a bit. I listen to beezaur and had some protein and carbs (yogurt) so I really don't feel drained as I thought. I do have a slight headache but thats probably because of my chest cold. I'm so glad I did it.

Last edited by she; 05-09-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 11:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
What's a "railroad bike" and was this a trial run for your work commute? It was fun, wasn't it?
Old 05-09-11, 11:28 AM
she

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes super fun. I smiled almost all the way. LOL Railroad bike means the bike I leave at the RR when I'm going to work. The way people call there cars RR cars? Thats the best way to explain ...I think. Since Ill be commuting full time soon(on a new bike) I'm going to have to call it something else...maybe the around town bike?
Old 05-09-11, 11:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If I hadn't done a trial run the weekend before I started bike commuting, I would have been 10 to 15 minutes late my first day. That dry run is one of the better ideas in commuting.
Old 05-09-11, 12:12 PM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be careful riding with a chest cold. I've always skipped days where I felt bad below the neck per my doctor brother's advice. He says head colds are ok for exercise but you can make a chest cold worse/last longer with too much exertion. But congrats on the ride! They only get better!
Old 05-09-11, 12:23 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That 'sucker' will flatten right out in real short order. Congrats on your ride!
Old 05-09-11, 12:24 PM
dphilips

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
Congrats on the trial run! You've overcome what I think is the biggest hurdle: "Can I really do this?"
Old 05-09-11, 12:26 PM
she

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starla
Be careful riding with a chest cold. I've always skipped days where I felt bad below the neck per my doctor brother's advice. He says head colds are ok for exercise but you can make a chest cold worse/last longer with too much exertion. But congrats on the ride! They only get better!
Yeah I know. The weather here is so beautiful and was calling me. I had to do it. I'm feeling a bit better so I took the chance. I'm not coughing as much so I think I will be alright.
My commute is 12 miles round trip so if I can ride 5 miles 6 miles is aok. The rest of the week(this one)I will be taking it easy, Thanks