Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Yelled at a cyclist, got flipped off!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 03:10 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I'm driving down Lamar today -- a four or five lane road, 45 mph speed limits, fairly heavy traffic. A guy is riding his bike in the outside lane, hugging the curb. The lane is perhaps 10 feet wide. I did see at least one car pass him in the same lane -- it's not clear that they broke our new 3' passing law, but if they didn't, they came close.

I passed (in the other lane) and yelled at him to "TAKE THE LANE".

He flipped me off.

(Yes, I expected it. It's hard to hear what people are yelling at, though I did try to be clear and didn't zip by as I said it.)

I imagine he arrived at his destination and told people about the ***hole in a car (if I was the only one, anyways) ...

Hopefully he'll get the message somehow. Where he was ... you don't want to hug the curb.
Old 05-24-11, 03:14 PM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe he didn't understand what you said. Alternately, some cyclists are *******s too.
Old 05-24-11, 03:18 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Prolly he just didn't hear what you said. I know I don't understand jack when it's yelled from a car in heavy traffic.
Old 05-24-11, 03:24 PM
billdsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A typical car is between 6' and 7' wide. A typical bicyclist is a little over 2' wide. If the bicyclist was on the right edge and the motorist was on the left edge, the best case scenario 6'+2'=8'. 10'-8'=2'. It was probably less than 2'.

Bicyclists are not required to take the lane even if it is smarter. I see no point yelling at someone to take the lane. It takes some explanation for people to understand why it is safer to do so.
Old 05-24-11, 03:27 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just love drivers telling me how to ride my bike.
Old 05-24-11, 03:31 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dougmc
So I'm driving down Lamar today -- a four or five lane road, 45 mph speed limits, fairly heavy traffic. A guy is riding his bike in the outside lane, hugging the curb. The lane is perhaps 10 feet wide. I did see at least one car pass him in the same lane -- it's not clear that they broke our new 3' passing law, but if they didn't, they came close.

He flipped me off.

(Yes, I expected it. It's hard to hear what people are yelling at, though I did try to be clear and didn't zip by as I said it.)

I imagine he arrived at his destination and told people about the ***hole in a car (if I was the only one, anyways) ...

Hopefully he'll get the message somehow. Where he was ... you don't want to hug the curb.
Riding on South Lamar kind of sucks -- in rush hour especially.

Don in Austin
Old 05-24-11, 03:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts

He flipped me off.

Ya forgot the smiley/irony icon. But then you wouldn't have gotten as many bites.
Old 05-24-11, 03:39 PM
Mauriceloridans

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think if he's not taking the lane in those conditions he probably is clueless what the phrase means. Maybe he'll google it at home and learn something.
Old 05-24-11, 04:09 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
From a person who has been yelled at a few times by passing cars, I have no idea what they say. Hopefully it wasn't anything important (like I forgot my pants ).
Old 05-24-11, 04:15 PM
beebe
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
I just love drivers telling me how to ride my bike.
+1
Old 05-24-11, 04:27 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
From a person who has been yelled at a few times by passing cars, I have no idea what they say. Hopefully it wasn't anything important (like I forgot my pants ).
Yeah, I get that a lot, too.
Old 05-24-11, 04:54 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OH, that was You...Sorry, had a hard time hearing you but even then I hadn't the foggiest what you meant when you said something about "Taking the lane?". Is that what you said? Take it where? What do I do with it when I "take it"? Must be some kind of jargon, or maybe Klingon and I don't speak or understand either one.

(What was probably going through the rider's mind at the time).
Old 05-24-11, 05:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd feel guilty about instructing a cyclist to take the lane if the next day he happened to get creamed riding in the middle of a high-speed 4-lane throughway, especially if there's room for him and a passing car in the lane. Just sayin'.
Old 05-24-11, 05:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'd feel guilty about instructing a cyclist to take the lane if the next day he happened to get creamed riding in the middle of a high-speed 4-lane throughway, especially if there's room for him and a passing car in the lane. Just sayin'.
much more likely to be clipped by a mirror if he's cowering in the gutter. I was just admiring the newer SUV's relative to a typical Pennsylvania lane. They basically take up the whole lane. The people that hit cyclists full-on from the rear are just as likely to hit someone that's in the gutter as someone that's in the center of the lane.
Old 05-24-11, 05:22 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
OH, that was You...Sorry, had a hard time hearing you but even then I hadn't the foggiest what you meant when you said something about "Taking the lane?". Is that what you said? Take it where? What do I do with it when I "take it"? Must be some kind of jargon, or maybe Klingon and I don't speak or understand either one.

(What was probably going through the rider's mind at the time).
https://www.kli.org/
Old 05-24-11, 05:26 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I won't tell a cyclist how to ride their bicycle while I'm riding my bicycle, I surely won't be telling them how to ride their bike while I'm driving my car.

Old 05-24-11, 07:10 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thou shalt not yell at me.

If someone yells at me from a car, I usually need a translator who speaks yell.
Old 05-24-11, 07:20 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

He flipped me off.

I've done that myself with other cyclists while out riding. I'll call out a friendly "take the lane" if I see someone hugging the curb/gutter pan.
Old 05-24-11, 09:33 PM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm driving down Lamar today -- a four or five lane road, 45 mph speed limits, fairly heavy traffic. A guy is riding his bike in the outside lane, hugging the curb.
Takes a brave or crazy soul to ride Lamar at any time of the day on any portion of that particular road.
Old 05-24-11, 09:49 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ya forgot the smiley/irony icon. But then you wouldn't have gotten as many bites.
Well, except that it did happen.

I slowed down to about his speed (he was going slightly downhill on a mountain bike at about 20 mph) and was about 10 feet away while I yelled (opening the passenger window) -- but even so, it wasn't really a good place to debate the merits of proper lane positioning or even explain what "take the lane" means. If I was on a bike and came up on him, I'd be able to talk to him more -- suggest taking the lane or the sidewalk (the sidewalk is likely safer than the gutter here, though it's a dangerous sidewalk too) or even an alternate route (many cyclists are injured on Lamar and there are alternatives, though I do ride it myself at times.)

I am aware that cyclists don't like being yelled at by people in cars (though usually the advice is "get out of my way, not more thoroughly into it"), but whispering wouldn't have worked well. I'm not sure how to yell in a friendly way, but if I knew how, I'd have done it.

As I see it, I did the right thing. It probably didn't work, but I tried.
Old 05-25-11, 03:20 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by exile

N + 1 My wife drove past me and was yelling "pedal Forest pedal" I didn't her a thing LOL!
Old 05-25-11, 04:35 AM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Somebody yells something at me from a car, I flip 'em off just as a matter of principle. They could be saying "Nice bike," or "Free breakfast at Denny's" or "I love you, can I have your babies?" Doesn't matter, I hit the middle finger button.

You know why? Because I don't have the faintest idea what they are saying, and my experience with drivers who initiate one-on-one contact with me on a bicycle is almost uniformly negative.

And if that had been me on the bike, and I had understood what the OP was saying, I probably would have used more suggestively profane gestures, because if there's one thing I cannot stand, it's some asshat behind a wheel telling me how I should be riding.

I mean, really. WTH were you thinking?
Old 05-25-11, 05:42 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dude...you were in a car, not only yelling at someone on a bike, but telling them how to ride their bike.
What kind of response did you expect?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-25-11, 05:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I've done that myself with other cyclists while out riding. I'll call out a friendly "take the lane" if I see someone hugging the curb/gutter pan.
I am aware that cyclists don't like being yelled at by people in cars (though usually the advice is "get out of my way, not more thoroughly into it"), but whispering wouldn't have worked well. I'm not sure how to yell in a friendly way, but if I knew how, I'd have done it.

As I see it, I did the right thing. It probably didn't work, but I tried.
There is no such thing as a "friendly" yell or call out at strangers, from a bike or (and especially) a passing motor vehicle. Makes no difference what your motivation. You got the response you deserved.
Old 05-25-11, 06:56 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think I've EVER been able to tell what someone in a car yelled at me. Unless they stop or actually match my speed alongside to talk. If you're not doing this, don't bother, they'll just assume you're hassling them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.