Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

6 weeks post surgery and back on the steel!!!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

6 weeks post surgery and back on the steel!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-23, 07:28 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 5,133 Times in 1,810 Posts
5 days post surgery and already on the indoor recumbent. I may just be easy pedalling on a road bike in no time. I figured the snows would get here before I could get out on a road bike. Now I'm hoping I can ride the new one coming in at least once before snows hit and keep me from taking any of the good bikes out.
Old 11-13-23, 07:35 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,292 Posts
Great news! Pedal on , carefully . Joe
Old 11-13-23, 08:49 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
5 days post surgery and already on the indoor recumbent. I may just be easy pedalling on a road bike in no time. I figured the snows would get here before I could get out on a road bike. Now I'm hoping I can ride the new one coming in at least once before snows hit and keep me from taking any of the good bikes out.
May try this product.
I use it for sore joints and post-crash soreness.

https://www.verdelux.com/mercy-cbd-t...l-cream-lotion

Sounds like you may be a new taller man soon.
Good luck!
Byron
Old 11-13-23, 09:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 2,877 Times in 1,569 Posts
the opus shows the feel of the ride and size of the smile measurement importance when adjusting the flock is more important than logic and measurements

Old 11-14-23, 03:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

The "motivation" bike arrived today very well packed and took no real effort to slap back together. Not C&V but should be a sweet ride. Compact, and relaxed setup on this one so curious to see how it rides. This was built by Kelly Bedford in 2015.

Will easily be under 19 lbs even after I add bottle cages and pedals.
Old 11-23-23, 04:11 PM
jamesdak 

Oh yeah! Tried riding the Azor yesterday after my PT session but with all the painful work I was too tight. Got about 20 yards in on the Azor before I got off and walked home. Today I did 15 minutes inside on the stationary recumbent then went back out and got on the Azor. Made it around the block today, about .7 miles. Small gains but I'll take them. Still ahead of schedule compared to this spring's recovery. Maybe I can get out on some real steel before the new year!

Today's ride

If the snow's don't hold off until after I can get on a real bike it will leave me with just the Team USA or Holdsworth to ride. Don't want to expose any of the good steel to winter road chemicals.
Old 12-02-23, 07:26 AM
jamesdak 

And it looks like I lost the race this time. Still not back on the good bikes yet and the first major snowstorm moved in yesterday. Still waiting for the sun to come up but there's got to be around a foot out there already. Storm is forecasted to dump until midday tomorrow. I guess the Raleigh Prestige and Pacenti bikes will get their first rides in the spring. Bummer.
Old 12-02-23, 08:31 AM
Kabuki12

I’m sorry you missed the window , for now. After my hip repair surgery in September, I was in so much pain all I could do was look at my bikes . I think it was week 6 or 7 when I decided to wheel my wife’s Townie out and have a go. I rode around the industrial area for about 1/2 hour and it was great . I have since done short blasts around on one of my vintage racers . Sunday I am going for my first “ride” , going to try a 15 miler on my Mondia. It has been about 10 or so weeks . Seeing your step through reminded me of what a great benefit these type of bikes are when you can’t quite get the leg over a gents bike. My wife’s Townie has the Shimano internally geared hub and Bosch e-assist which helped me build up strength slowly over 2-3 weeks.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-30-23, 04:53 PM
jamesdak 

Well this second knee replacement is coming along slower than the one in April. And I had another little med issue that took me out for a week or so. But I realized I was close to exceeding last years total miles despite all the issues. So yesterday I got out on a real road bike and did a 21 mile ride. Then back out today for another 26 miles to put me 2 whooping miles over last year's total. I think the fact that I could do that with so few months of riding this years means I will have an excellent year of riding coming up. I'll be fully recovered and able to get back to my normal mileage. Curious to see if the speed (my modest form of speed anyway, LOL) comes back too.
Old 12-30-23, 04:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Nice to read your persistence.

things should improve with that mind set.

this last year I have dropped “oomph” the best way to describe it. Not happy but more miles will help.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-31-23, 10:53 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,451 Posts
Well this second knee replacement is coming along slower than the one in April. And I had another little med issue that took me out for a week or so. But I realized I was close to exceeding last years total miles despite all the issues. So yesterday I got out on a real road bike and did a 21 mile ride. Then back out today for another 26 miles to put me 2 whooping miles over last year's total. I think the fact that I could do that with so few months of riding this years means I will have an excellent year of riding coming up. I'll be fully recovered and able to get back to my normal mileage. Curious to see if the speed (my modest form of speed anyway, LOL) comes back too.
Great job, James!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 12-31-23, 07:17 PM
jamesdak 

Well this morning I noticed that a Bianchi Giro listed locally had been lowered to a crazy low price. So I went and grabbed it to use this winter instead of the 5200 I've been out on. Figured it the Bianchi was in halfway decent shape I could abuse it over the winter and then decide if it was a keeper or not. The bike isn't perfect as it has it's share of honest wear. Shimano 105 triple setup with some hodgepodge parts. Never heard of the Profile Design wheels it came with but they seem pretty true. Anyway, got it home and sorted it out while watching the early football game. New tires, swapped saddles an swapped in a slightly shorter stem. Otherwise just wiped it down. Took it out for a short 12 mile shakedown and things worked pretty much ok. The FD was rubbing some when I shifted into the middle chainring. Should be easy to sort out.

Anyway, I'm hoping the knee get's working better soon. I'm having a fair amount of pain in the hip and hip flexor area and the back. Sure it's just because I'm compensating for the flexibility being off still.

How I got it with a wireless Sigma computer and saddle bag loaded with Co2 inflator and cartridges as well as tools, extra lights, tire levers and he gave me his shoes.

Threw on new tires, used Fizik Kurve saddle, and the stem. I did put some flat pedals on for use right now, still not clipping in yet. Bike was 20 lbs 3 ozs as above. The front wheel bare was 908 grams. So just a switch to the spare Zonda's I have on hand would get this under 19 lbs I bet.
Old 12-31-23, 07:29 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Maybe lower the saddle 5mm? Raise it incrementally as time goes on?
Old 01-01-24, 02:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 667 Posts
Well this morning I noticed that a Bianchi Giro listed locally had been lowered to a crazy low price. So I went and grabbed it to use this winter instead of the 5200 I've been out on. Figured it the Bianchi was in halfway decent shape I could abuse it over the winter and then decide if it was a keeper or not. The bike isn't perfect as it has it's share of honest wear. Shimano 105 triple setup with some hodgepodge parts. Never heard of the Profile Design wheels it came with but they seem pretty true. Anyway, got it home and sorted it out while watching the early football game. New tires, swapped saddles an swapped in a slightly shorter stem. Otherwise just wiped it down. Took it out for a short 12 mile shakedown and things worked pretty much ok. The FD was rubbing some when I shifted into the middle chainring. Should be easy to sort out.

Anyway, I'm hoping the knee get's working better soon. I'm having a fair amount of pain in the hip and hip flexor area and the back. Sure it's just because I'm compensating for the flexibility being off still.

How I got it with a wireless Sigma computer and saddle bag loaded with Co2 inflator and cartridges as well as tools, extra lights, tire levers and he gave me his shoes.

Threw on new tires, used Fizik Kurve saddle, and the stem. I did put some flat pedals on for use right now, still not clipping in yet. Bike was 20 lbs 3 ozs as above. The front wheel bare was 908 grams. So just a switch to the spare Zonda's I have on hand would get this under 19 lbs I bet.
Very nice bike, does it ride better than your cannondale caad8 optimo ?
Old 01-01-24, 05:16 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 667 Posts

Old 01-01-24, 08:42 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by georges1
I honestly couldn't say right now. I'm riding slow and heavy in the saddle right now as well as not being clipped it. Still, I did take it back out today for a 25 mile ride and was quite comfortable on it. So that is a good sign. Late in the ride my legs came around a bit and I did some faster miles in the 18-19 mph range. It felt pretty racy under me then. Once I get back healed and to full speed I should be able to judge it better.
Old 04-12-24, 03:06 PM
jamesdak 

Just thought I'd throw a little update out there, probably more to vent my frustration. Past 5 months now on the second knee replacement and it's just not getting back to normal. Hurts throughout each ride and just won't seem to stay loose. Lots of resistance to flexing. I've done so much more PT both on my own and at the clinic this time compared to the other knee. It's like I can work and work it each session and get to a certain degree of flexibility and then the next session I'm starting all over again. No matter if were talking an hour between sessions or a day. Heck I was working it loose for 10-15 minutes before my PT appointments, drive not even 10 minutes to the appointment, get back on a bike there, and it was stiff again. The last two day's bike rides have been about taking pictures along the way. Each time I started back up from a short stop to take pictures I'd have serious pain for a few strokes and a serious hitch as I pedalled, crazy. Day to day I can function so much better now but going down stairs and bike riding are still painful. Can't put my pants on normal or cross my right leg over my left to put my shoe on. Hopefully all of this does clear up because riding is my life. Even if I can't get back the speed I was riding I'd life to do it relatively pain free. Riding is my mental release and I just can't stop doing it.

Anyway vent over time to go work on the Sancineto project some more.
Old 04-12-24, 03:31 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 490 Posts
Have you experimented with heat? A knee brace can supply the needed heat. So can a ginger, mustard or cayenne plaster help. What is your basal oral temperature and your diurnal maximum temperature? Some of us, like me, just run a bit on the cool side.

Old 04-12-24, 05:22 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 993 Posts
Can't speak to replacement but my left meniscus repair took longer to resolve than the right - I overdid it too early and have been doing virtual PT for what seems like forever. Patience and stamina, hope your path continues to improve.

Old 04-12-24, 08:56 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,451 Posts
Wishing you only the best in your healing and continued improvement in range of motion and flexibilty. Keep at it. You WILL get it back!

Old 04-12-24, 09:30 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 303 Posts
I hear tell ‘84 Prestige’s have magical healing powers. Rumored to be a mystical quality of the 555 SL tubeset. Mount up and heal thyself soon!
Old 04-12-24, 10:42 PM
Kabuki12

Don’t give up , I’m in much the same situation with my hip. My recovery hit a plateau. I am at 7 months since I broke it . I saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago and he said it would be a full year before I would feel much better. I went on a decent ride last weekend and it was ok . Sometimes there is still quite a bit of pain but the stretching I learned in PT is helping. I hope your recovery continues and when you hit the plateau just continue to move as you can. I was told that the only way back is persistence.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-12-24, 11:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked 3,499 Times in 1,835 Posts
I "liked" post #42 in solidarity, not because I like what you are having to go through. However, you are still an inspiration to many of us, and especially my wife who just had a hip replacement. You will get through this.
Old 05-11-24, 07:42 PM
jamesdak 

A month later and things really aren't any better. This may be the best it's going to be. Each ride it takes me a few hundred yards before the knee bends enough to allow me to stay fully seated in the saddle. Then around 2 miles before I'm pedaling fairly smooth without hitching up the right hip to go over the saddle. No matter how many miles I go there is just constant resistance to bend as I go over the top of the pedal. And each time I stop for a minute or so or even if I just coast I am guaranteed to have a lot of pain for the first couple of pedal strokes, so weird. So the VA doc again last week and he was not sure why it's turned out like this. He did go back and checked my records and then came and told me it was a different knee put in this time but was the right size.

There's a lot of burning sensation in this one too but I know that's just nerve stuff so I don't worry about that.

It really is effecting the riding though. I am trying to get back to consistent riding but the weather keeps being bad. Did a 32 miler today on the Coppi, normally one of my faster bikes. Gave an honest effort the whole ride doing it with a avg HR of 142. Normally this would have given me a low 18 mph avg on this route but today it was only 16.5 mph. That's normally my goof off rest day pace. Cadence is so off due to the knee resistance. I'm just muscling more than spinning and that's not a good thing. If I take out one of my compact doubles I keep finding myself way down on the block just to carry any kind of speed. Hoping to start hitting the mountains this week or next, maybe that will get something working...

On a positive note, I am working my way through all the bikes. Tomorrow should be the first test ride of the now completed Sancineto.