Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

extending a shift cable

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

extending a shift cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 11:31 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
extending a shift cable

Like the title says, the shift cable some some routing through the bike frame so I don't want to remove it. I think to remove it would also require me to remove the mid drive motor.

What's the best way to extend or add on to it? I'm thinking just cut a piece of shift cable and use electrical shrink wrap to hold it.
Old 10-25-23, 11:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Like the title says, the shift cable some some routing through the bike frame so I don't want to remove it. I think to remove it would also require me to remove the mid drive motor.

What's the best way to extend or add on to it? I'm thinking just cut a piece of shift cable and use electrical shrink wrap to hold it.
You should try that and let us know how well it works.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-23, 11:54 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I'm thinking just cut a piece of shift cable and use electrical shrink wrap to hold it.
I think this may be a better option:

Cable splitters for S&S Coupled travel bikes

You can probably find other options as well with a two minute Google (or your favorite search engine) search.
Old 10-25-23, 12:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I have never had great success splicing a bicycle cable to lengthen it. I have tried though. It always looked super BAD. Just get yourself another cable...

Youtube: Incredible Huge Rope Splicing & Fabricating Process - Amazing Factory Machines Production Technology
Old 10-25-23, 12:12 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
some internal cables are easier to route than you think, just make sure your string is good quality and securely attached to the cable you're removing.
Old 10-25-23, 12:18 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you do end up needing to buy another cable/housing, get one for a tandem. It will have the added length you need.

Last edited by seypat; 10-26-23 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 10-25-23, 12:21 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Post pictures of what you are trying to achieve here.
Old 10-25-23, 12:22 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
One tip I discovered here on BF is to use the old cable as a fish wire, cutting any ends off the old cable and connecting the old and new cable with a length of thin (such as 1/16" I.D.) shrink tube long enough for good grip as it's pulled through. Worked great for me on my most recent attempt.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-25-23, 12:30 PM
adlai

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean cable. Of course you can't extend a cable. I meant cable housing.
Likes For adlai:
Old 10-25-23, 05:49 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
You can get housing end caps that are one unit, but open at both ends with a separator in the middle of the cap, ergo, you need two pieces of housing of the correct lengths. Or, you can use two housing end caps with the closed end back to back, and the same with two pieces of housing. The cable runs straight through either option. With the back to back caps, you could wrap them with tape of the same color, but it is not necessary. Either way, can be seen only from close up. They work just like the cable stops on the frame.

Using just tape to splice the housing together will work, but not work that well. the connection just is not stiff/strong enough, IME.

Last edited by delbiker1; 10-25-23 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-25-23, 05:52 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
If you are not fussy and want to use one of the more expensive housing brands like Jagwire or Shimano, standard cable housing is pretty inexpensive bought online. I'm still working with a 25 foot roll of shifter cable purchased from Nashbar more than a decade ago. This happens to be a source located one town away who sells on eBay.
12 foot roll of 5mm shift cable $16 postpaid https://www.ebay.com/itm/291917358195 same company 25 foot roll $25 postpaid https://www.ebay.com/itm/391259402350
Old 10-25-23, 06:59 PM
kommisar

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Sheldon Brown (or John Allen) says splicing a cable is easy and does not require any extra hardware:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/heroic-repairs.html

scroll down to the "splicing cables" section
Old 10-25-23, 09:33 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Using just tape to splice the housing together will work, but not work that well. the connection just is not stiff/strong enough, IME.
I've used shrink tubing for this purpose (over the back to back ferrules) with good results.
Old 10-26-23, 03:26 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean cable. Of course you can't extend a cable. I meant cable housing.
Actually, you CAN extend cable (post #3), and much easier than extending cable housing.
Old 10-26-23, 06:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
... routing through the bike frame, so I don't want to remove it.
I have a bike with a thru-frame rear brake cable routing. Nearly the entire length of housing goes through the top tube. The way I replace the housing is to leave a headless brake cable in there all the way through while pulling out the housing. Then reverse the process to install new housing. I keep the headless cable in my tool box just for this operation.
Old 10-26-23, 07:06 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I have a bike with a thru-frame rear brake cable routing. Nearly the entire length of housing goes through the top tube. The way I replace the housing is to leave a headless brake cable in there all the way through while pulling out the housing. Then reverse the process to install new housing. I keep the headless cable in my tool box just for this operation.
Why does it have to be headless?...
Old 10-26-23, 07:35 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Do you have a little metal (pref aluminum) cylinder? Could drill and tap a hole on either end of it and use socket head set screws to grab the cable. 4-40 screw should be plenty strong. Simple, strong, and elegant, but you’d need the tools

A quicker way could be just tie a knot. I doubt it would work but you could try, it’s probably what I would do just to see if it works.

I agree rerouting it seems like a *****

another option could be to get a nice zip tie, and use a lighter and a needle to poke two holes through it, tie the zip tie to itself. Thread the housing through the melted holes and then figure out how to make the end bunched up so it can’t fit back through the melted hole in the zip tie. One looped knot and some glue so the loop doesn’t slip out should work fine. The zip tie is acting like a shackle, it would probably hold honestly.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 10-26-23 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-26-23, 07:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by kommisar
Sheldon Brown (or John Allen) says splicing a cable is easy and does not require any extra hardware:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/heroic-repairs.html

scroll down to the "splicing cables" section
lol Sheldon just uses a square knot?
Old 10-26-23, 08:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Why does it have to be headless?
Makes it a lot easier to install the new housing in case it goes in the tube easier from the front vs the rear. You don't want to be left without the additional option.
Old 10-26-23, 09:26 PM
Leisesturm

Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Good Lord, 20 posts. My newest bike has internally routed cable but I haven't had to replace it. I didn't realize it was this hard. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I have to think Park Tool or Sheldon Brown or some other technical authority has a best practice tutorial in one of the usual places. If I had to do it myself I would already be on it. Let's get this thread notched up to #useful status and find a peer reviewed authority to post a link from.

Edit: A start? <shrug>

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-26-23 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-27-23, 01:24 AM
LarrySellerz

Cool internally routed cables, Sheldon Brown was posted and it looks like he just tied another cable to it to extend it lol. Its what I would have done but Im surprised it works
Old 10-27-23, 06:16 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have replaced internally routed cables/housing once on my Orbea Avant. I bought the Shimano routing tool, but, after doing the work, I realized I could have done it without the tool with no more time and hassle involved. I dreaded doing it the first time, but I am pretty sure if/when I do it again, it will go a lot quicker. I believe different manufactures use different techniques in the routing, ergo, there will be some differences in the replacement process. It seems likely to me that frame sets with oversized tubing make it a bit easier.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-27-23, 06:48 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I use the cable as a guide, sliding the housing out of the frame leaving the shift/brake cable intact then sliding the new housing up the cable. I don't worry about the length at that moment, only that it extends beyond both ends of the frame, then I remove the cable and size the housing cutting it to the correct length. I then install a new cable and voila I'm done.
Old 10-27-23, 06:57 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I use the cable as a guide, sliding the housing out of the frame leaving the shift/brake cable intact then sliding the new housing up the cable. I don't worry about the length at that moment, only that it extends beyond both ends of the frame, then I remove the cable and size the housing cutting it to the correct length. I then install a new cable and voila I'm done.
Yup, that's how I usually do it, also teflon tubing worlks well, some frames come with some on them, and I have a bunch from racquet stringing. Most newer frames aren't the routing nightmare that some older ones were, but every so often you get that one that wants to test you.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-27-23, 07:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would use one of these:

https:/jagwire.com/products/small-parts/connecting-junction-ferrules

Don’t even need to tape it if you don’t want to. Had one of these on hand when running the cables for my commuter. I did not have any housing runs long enough for what I needed and this worked great.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-27-23 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.