Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carrying a jacket

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-23, 12:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My mom doesn't let me go out on my bike when it is that chilly outside.
A friend of mine used to have a policy of not riding if the temperature (Fdeg) was less than his age. He turned 60 this year. He dropped that policy some years ago because it started being really limiting.
Old 11-22-23, 12:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Some of you are going to be painfully surprised as you age. At 79, 70 F is now chilly to me. At 60 F, it's base layer, thermal jersey, and windbreaker, and shorts, leggings, and tights on my legs. Baleaf makes a cheap windbreaker, and it has arms that zip off. I bought it as an experiment, thinking I'd buy something better if I liked it, but it's given good service for a couple of years and show no sign of failing yet.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 11-22-23, 01:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Some of you are going to be painfully surprised as you age. At 79, 70 F is now chilly to me. At 60 F, it's base layer, thermal jersey, and windbreaker, and shorts, leggings, and tights on my legs. Baleaf makes a cheap windbreaker, and it has arms that zip off. I bought it as an experiment, thinking I'd buy something better if I liked it, but it's given good service for a couple of years and show no sign of failing yet.
I haven't noticed any difference in my temperature tolerance and I'm 69. It takes a little more acclimation, especially with high heat. But riding in 40 degrees feels the same as it did 30 years ago. If I'm just sitting around I like to dress warm, though.
Haven't been out in temps below 30 in a while, not certain how that would be.
Old 11-22-23, 01:56 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I have gone out with just one bottle, and used an empty cage to hold a jacket after the sun comes up. I used a large elastic band to keep it tidy.
Old 11-22-23, 03:50 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I have gone out with just one bottle, and used an empty cage to hold a jacket after the sun comes up. I used a large elastic band to keep it tidy.
I didn't think of that. Good idea!
Old 11-23-23, 03:13 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Get a cycling jacket that folds up and you can put in a jersey pocket when it’s hotter

if it’s too cold and you can’t. Then figure it out. I have a PI softshell jacket that is great in cold weather. Yet I only use it in cold weather. If the weather is changing during your ride then layer and remove as needed.
Likes For cweb99:
Old 11-23-23, 03:37 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by cweb99
Get a cycling jacket that folds up and you can put in a jersey pocket when it’s hotter

if it’s too cold and you can’t. Then figure it out. I have a PI softshell jacket that is great in cold weather. Yet I only use it in cold weather. If the weather is changing during your ride then layer and remove as needed.
My biggest snag was that I don’t have a lightweight compressible shell. I will have one soon.
Old 11-23-23, 04:18 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in my temperature tolerance and I'm 69.
Some people are gonna be very surprised when they hit certain ages by the differences between how they performed 10 years earlier compared to how they perform at their new ages..Just sayin'....
Likes For philbob57:
Old 11-23-23, 04:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
70 yo here. I have far less ability to generate heat for hours by keeping my speed and power output up. Late in rides, sun getting low, I used to just power to the barn. Doesn't happen now. And if I don't have the clothes to put on, I cool and slow further. (To the point where it can get scary or sickness prone.)

Aging - two ways of thinking about it. It sucks. It could be better than the alternative.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-23-23, 05:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99

I gave mine away to another cyclist. It gains about 10 lbs. in the rain and it's an all or nothing garment. I like more tunable clothing. It was good in cold weather as long as it stayed cold and didn't rain.
Old 11-26-23, 07:07 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Racks for the win, and they need not be full size. I use one of small Nitto racks called the M1(Mark's) on the rear. It can be used F or R but I dislike any weight upfront. I have a fitted Lone Peak mini bag for it but a stuff sack would do if you want to be cheap. Just bunching it up you must be careful not to have any part of it fall in to the rear wheel. Not worth the risk to me, plus the LP bag has loops and a elastic cord for even more carrying capacity. I had tried all sorts of various bikepacking seatpost/saddle packs that supposedly won't rub the thighs, but they all rub mine. So a rack it is.
Old 11-26-23, 09:38 AM
big john

Some people are gonna be very surprised when they hit certain ages by the differences between how they performed 10 years earlier compared to how they perform at their new ages..Just sayin'....
Not surprised. Saddened, frustrated, embarrassed even. But not surprised.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-26-23, 06:40 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Im not sure what the warning here is supposed to be? I’m 47; should l get the jacket I’ll need when I turn 60 or 70, instead of the one I have now?
Am I going to go the next 10 or 15 years without actually riding a bike outside in any kind of weather, only to find out that my current kit is no longer suitable?
That’s like worrying about having what I’m going to need to wear for Xmas in upstate New York, when it’s the middle of September and I’m in North Carolina.

As far as staying on topic of carrying extra gear in variable temperatures; I’ll stick with wearing a couple layers of different pieces that I can mix and match as needed, and stash in jersey pockets, seat bags or camelbacks , than trying to find the One Garment That Does All The Things so that I don’t have to carry anything extra during the ride.
Old 11-27-23, 11:58 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Dg out some cold weather gear I had before I lost weight. It fits now.
How cold does it beed to be before a fleeced jacket is necessary?
I also found a pair of new wind fleeced pants.
I have a pair of long bibs I will be trying tomorrow with s long sleeved jersey.
I onow I need to just try and see what amount if layering is necessary. I just want to shortcut some of the trial and error.
Old 11-28-23, 05:06 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
The weather in North Texas is flexible now. If I start out early when it’s really cool what do I do with my jacket when it warms up?
How do y’all carry extra stuff? Bungeed to the top of the frame?
String strap back back, like the ones they give away. In transitional weather, cold to warm, I wear it under my outermost layer. As I shed layers, gloves, hats and the like, they go in the backpack.
Old 11-28-23, 08:57 AM
big john

Dg out some cold weather gear I had before I lost weight. It fits now.
How cold does it beed to be before a fleeced jacket is necessary?
I also found a pair of new wind fleeced pants.
I have a pair of long bibs I will be trying tomorrow with s long sleeved jersey.
I onow I need to just try and see what amount if layering is necessary. I just want to shortcut some of the trial and error.
Trial and error may be necessary because we have different preferences, conditions, etc. In my case, I sweat a lot. Like when doing a climb on a cold day I will be soaked after a while and doing a long descent when wet can be trouble. I have a wicking jersey that allows the sweat to evaporate yet still blocks some of the wind.

Usually a base layer, (either a PI baselayer or a tight fitting jersey), then a long sleeve jersey and a wind vest. If it's going to be 40ish or a little cooler I have a heavier vest which is harder to stick in a pocket. If there are going to be long descents in the 30s or colder I bring a cheap nylon windbreaker as a 4th layer. It's easy to roll up and carry.
I always use a wind proof skull cap or at least a wool beanie. It's amazing how much more comfortable I am when covering my head and ears, especially when it's windy.
I use various leg warmers and wool socks. Toe covers and chemical warmers if it's freezing. Glove liners or even neoprene gloves.

If I'm just riding easy anything will work. Sometimes I will even wear a jacket.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-28-23, 11:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I will look for a bag and foldable jacket.
I just needed an idea for when it’s cool when I start but then warms up. This morning it started around 52* and cloudy. Right not it’s much warmer- 65* and sunny.
65* and sunny is considered summer riding conditions in the PNW, shorts and jersey. But then it’s all about acclimatizing.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-28-23, 12:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by rsbob
65* and sunny is considered summer riding conditions in the PNW, shorts and jersey. But then it’s all about acclimatizing.
It’s about 60* and sunny today here in Fort Worth. Long sleeve jersey and long legged bibs today. It’s a really nice day.
Old 11-28-23, 01:30 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

It’s about 60* and sunny today here in Fort Worth. Long sleeve jersey and long legged bibs today. It’s a really nice day.
Change of plans. I decided to just wear my short bibs and they were fine. They may be good to 50*. I will have to try and see.
The long sleeve jersey was ok but a short sleeve would have been good too.
This may all change if it’s cloudy. The sun helped.
I figured out how to carry a jacket in my jersey rear pockets. I was really over thinking it.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-28-23, 02:54 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Rear rack.