Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-24, 07:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I'm am 99.999% certain that you cannot adjust each gear individually. I have Di2 Ultegra 12-sp and Di2 GRX and the single adjustment effects all gears just the same as a barrel adjuster on a mechanical system. The only reason I don't say 100% certain is there's always a chance I have overlooked something somewhere. But I asked about this exact issue when I first got Di2 last July, and while someone said it could be done, they never explained how to do it and many others chimed in, as I'm doing now, to say it cannot be done.

I believe people get confused that it can be done because you can select different gears while doing it. But I think this is only to shift it to different gears so you can check the how the common adjustment works in each gear. I know I worked with it enough to see that the adjustment affected all gears. But, the documentation for the app is pretty bad and there could be some option I have managed to overlook that enables this feature.

If someone finds this is possible, I'd sure like to know about it. But my experience is it is not needed. My shifting works perfectly. Though obviously, if you could adjust each gear, it might allow you to work around a bent derailleur hanger. I believe, since it is not needed for a properly functioning bike, they didn't bother putting it in the software where it would likely cause more problems then it corrected.
That might be the case but I feel like we did adjust in different gears I will need a bike and my phone to do it and unfortunately I don't have that at the moment would love to build a Di2 that is 12 speed but alas no funds for a while.
Old 01-31-24, 07:37 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I believe it was gear to gear you could adjust I am pretty sure, granted I had only had a chance to do it once and a lot has happened since then but I am pretty sure it was each gear could be micro adjusted.
You can adjust from any gear, but you aren't individually adjusting each gear.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-31-24, 08:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I cannot recall honestly I could swear we did it gear to gear but the more I think on it the more that does sound off but again we did it once a couple months ago and it was such a short easy process I forgot and haven't had a chance to do it again.
Old 01-31-24, 09:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Yeah, I think this is correct. It can be indexed in any gear, but it is still just indexing.
Old 01-31-24, 09:16 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoney
When your friends with Di2 took their bikes to the shop, what shifting issues were they having?
Originally Posted by bblair
I really don't remember, but I think front der related.

One guy, as I recall, couldn't shift at all and thinking it was a battery, went home. Turned out to be a faulty software upgrade. Or so he told me. Maybe he was afraid of getting dropped! Probably not.
Front Di2:
I had the local shop install my new 8050 rear derailleur, since my 2014 6850 charger wasn't compatible with firmware updates to it! It didn't shift perfectly when they finished, so I think they messed around with both front and rear derailleur. It sortof worked, but not perfectly.

I used the Di2 manual and re-did the front setup and alignment. I fixed it!
The front cage was just slightly off parallel to the chainring. Barely off, but that was enough to make the chain rub in the lowest gears. It's fine now. (I never had to adjust the front derailleur in 9 years other than this.)

"Couldn't shift at all.."
There "crash mode", that stops the rear from shifting at all if it detects a crash (I think it sees high resistance when attempting to change gears in the back?) or if the chain jams in the derailleur arm.
This has happened to two different riders on group rides I was riding. I have to google the simple fix: Hold the junction box button for 5 seconds. The light flashes red. Lift the rear wheel off the ground and spin the crank. It will cycle through all the cogs and then it's reset!
Old 01-31-24, 10:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I'd almost wonder if there isn't the chance that you'd have more trouble with Di2, though others with more experience might know better. On sat a group leader in a ride I was involved in laid do their bike, less of a crash and more of a slow speed fall over, and bent the der hanger. According to the rider his Di2 had been shifting perfectly pre-crash but after straightening the hanger I had to actually adjust the rear der which wasn't shifting right at all. Tonight I had another rider who dropped their bike and the shifting wasn't working right, hanger tested straight but the der needed to be tweaked to get it lined up better. Just wondering with the Di2 if the servos that move the hanger don't get bumped out of adjustment with a good hit, though I've never seen a similar occurrence with AXS. My middle kid has some noticeable scarring on her Rival AXS rear der from laying it down in cross races and letting the bike drop but I've never had to adjust the alignment on her rear der or any of the kids. Also never touched either bike prior to tonight so who knows if either was shifting as perfectly as they should have been, and the first bike's owner made a point tonight of commenting on how well it actually worked, and maybe the Di2 was always a little off.
Old 02-01-24, 10:18 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I believe it was gear to gear you could adjust I am pretty sure, granted I had only had a chance to do it once and a lot has happened since then but I am pretty sure it was each gear could be micro adjusted.
Well, I just had to go and check. On mine, it's definitely a single adjustment for all gears. I've got the new 105 groupset which is obviously bottom of the Di2 range. Ultegra or Dura-Ace might be different.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 02-01-24, 10:30 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Well, I just had to go and check. On mine, it's definitely a single adjustment for all gears. I've got the new 105 groupset which is obviously bottom of the Di2 range. Ultegra or Dura-Ace might be different.
yeah - i have 12 speed di2 dura-ace and ultegra and the adjustment isn’t specific to one cog. micro adjust on the RD is a single adjustment. on the FD, it takes into account the range from big to small in the rear for the trim, but i’m not aware of anything on the RD electronic adjustments that is specific to any individual cog or subset of cogs.
Old 02-01-24, 11:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Yep. You can put it in any gear combo and then adjust the indexing, which will always work fine as long as the der hanger is aligned properly.

There is no need for adjusting each individual gear; no need whatsoever.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-01-24 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 10:37 PM
Kontact 

Single adjustment meaning you can individually adjust each cog location without affecting the rest of the cog locations? I don't think so.
Old 02-01-24, 11:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Single adjustment meaning you can individually adjust each cog location without affecting the rest of the cog locations? I don't think so.
How about s single adjustment for ALL the gears? Analogous to how the single barrel adjuster trims all the sprockets in a cable system.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-02-24 at 12:09 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-02-24, 01:56 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
A single adjustment that affects all gears, I think he meant.

I did find it ambiguous too but he went on to say, “i’m not aware of anything on the RD electronic adjustments that is specific to any individual cog or subset of cogs.”
Old 02-02-24, 03:51 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
No, I meant just a single adjustment that affects all the gears, not a single adjustment for each gear.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 02-02-24, 04:35 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Di2 solves some issues that you can solve at home (all cable related issues), while introducing some issues that, sometimes you can't solve (electronic issues).

You should ask yourself why are you bending hangers. I've had to align more than one hanger, but I've never had a hanger that gets bent without an impact on the RD. Barrel adjusters shouldn't move by themselves either...
Old 02-02-24, 07:13 AM
AMoney

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
It was informative to read about people's experiences with Di2, particularly in regards to if the derailleur hanger is bent.

I was also wondering, what are people's thoughts on wired vs semi-wireless Di2? My understanding is that semi-wireless Di2 is only an option in the disc brake versions of the 12 speed group sets. For people who have used both, what are your experiences? Are the wires a frequent cause of maintenance for Di2 users?
Old 02-02-24, 07:47 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
It was informative to read about people's experiences with Di2, particularly in regards to if the derailleur hanger is bent.

I was also wondering, what are people's thoughts on wired vs semi-wireless Di2? My understanding is that semi-wireless Di2 is only an option in the disc brake versions of the 12 speed group sets. For people who have used both, what are your experiences? Are the wires a frequent cause of maintenance for Di2 users?
Wires are trouble free. At the handlebars, under the tape, the Di2 manual says to put a small u-turn near the shifters so the connection isn't stressed if the shifters move a bit on the bars. And there needs to be enough slack to turn the bars all the way (kind of obvious.)

Fishing the wires through the frame and placing a small junction box near the bottom bracket is a lot more work than a wireless connection, of course. And I suppose the new hidden cable handlebars+stem designs make it even more difficult. So wireless shifters are nice.
The Di2 wire in my downtube was making an annoying noise on rough roads, banging into the carbon and echoing. Di2 comes with some custom zip ties to clip onto the wire, to theoretically press the wire against the frame, stopping the noise. It sortof worked. I shoved a few small foam pieces down from the headset to kill the noise. That worked.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-02-24 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-02-24, 10:46 AM
AMoney

I've been doing a lot of reading about Di2 but was still wondering about a few things:

- Would the 105 7150 Rear Derailleur work with an otherwise Ultegra Di2 groupset, whether it's wired or semi-wireless?
- Would a 105 crankset work with an otherwise Ultegra Di2 groupset?

I know that with the mechanical groupsets, there is some cross compatibility. It seems like there is less with Di2.
Old 02-02-24, 06:31 PM
Kontact 

I've been doing a lot of reading about Di2 but was still wondering about a few things:

- Would the 105 7150 Rear Derailleur work with an otherwise Ultegra Di2 groupset, whether it's wired or semi-wireless?
- Would a 105 crankset work with an otherwise Ultegra Di2 groupset?

I know that with the mechanical groupsets, there is some cross compatibility. It seems like there is less with Di2.
Crankset is not a problem.
Different generations of Di2 have different plug types - three so far - but if the plugs match they should be compatible. At the very least, all the stuff of the same generation should be compatible across groups. I've worked on plenty of bikes with mismatched Di2 derailleurs.
Old 02-02-24, 06:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
IMO, the real benefit of E-shifting is the wireless feature. If wires are needed to be ran, it wouldn't interest me to replace the brifters (especially hydraulic brake type) to go from mechanical to wired electronic. However, if I were changing the group set from a lower quantity of cogs setup to using more cogs (example: 11 speed to 12 speed) then changing the shifters would be required anyway. So a full wireless change would be justifiable.
Old 02-02-24, 06:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts

I have a fully wired road Di2 and a mt bike wired Di2 as well as a wireless AXS on a 2nd mt bike. Once you get the wires and any neccessary junction boxes laid in on Di2 it’s completely forget it’s there time. If doing your own install of a wired Di2 system, you have to deal with getting off the crank and b-bracket in order to get the cables installed. If you have a BSA bottom bracket and have the tools, it’s easy. Then you leave it alone, it needs no further maintenance, probably ever. If you perhaps snag a cable on a derailer, as example, then of course you have to fix that. The AXS system I installed was as easy as breaking the chain, remove old mechanical derailer and shift cable, remove F shifter. Install R derailer, install chain, install F derailer and pair it up electronically. It took about as much time to type this as to install AXS. You potentially have to charge up the AXS derailer batteries more often then a Di2, but it’s an easy removal and charging process, It’s a good move on Shimano’s part to make the shifters wireless on the new 12 spd systems. But if getting a new bike that has Di2, you probably my only change out the battery in 6 years or so, otherwise there’s nothing to do except ride the bike. I have read that having a larger and more powerful battery on Di2 provides for a better and faster shift on the derailer. In operation and comparing a mt bike Di2, vs. a SRAM AXS system, they are pretty much identical in terms of accuracy and reliability, IME. They both shift perfectly.

Last edited by Steve B.; 02-02-24 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 07:08 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I'm running Di2 on a couple of bikes, and have no complaints. There was a little bit of a learning curve when converting away from mechanical shifting. Choosing the best wire lengths, wire routing, battery location, making sure the connections are properly made, etc. But installation and fine tuning is not difficult, and I love the fast and precise shifting. One of my bikes is a 1x12, the other a 2x11, both systems work beautifully.
Old 02-03-24, 04:37 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Regarding rear mech hangers...I have found some to be much less robust and reliable than others. It depends on the maker. Some are so cut out that I've wondered if they may flex and/or bend under heavy load shifting...trying to shift to an easier gear while in the big ring and climbing a steep grade while out of the saddle is one example. That is a lot of load.
My 'wondering' is based on over 30 years in the bike biz working at several shops as a salesperson, builder, wrench monkey and service manager...all the way from 5 speed down tube friction bikes to today's...including recent builds of a SWorks SL8 with a full Dura Ace 12 speed groupo and an Aethos with 12 speed Ultegra as well as building my Aethos with 12 speed 105.
I want to try to see if there can be a fix to what is going on with my road bike, especially since the shifting issues are mild. However, if I continue to have the issues with my derailleur hanger on this bike semi-frequently, is the only solution to replace the bike? I agree that some hangers are weaker than others. I got rid of a bike several years ago because it had frequent and significant issues with the derailleur hanger. Is there a way to find out if a derailleur hanger design is flimsy before buying a bike?
Old 02-03-24, 08:50 PM
Kontact 

I want to try to see if there can be a fix to what is going on with my road bike, especially since the shifting issues are mild. However, if I continue to have the issues with my derailleur hanger on this bike semi-frequently, is the only solution to replace the bike? I agree that some hangers are weaker than others. I got rid of a bike several years ago because it had frequent and significant issues with the derailleur hanger. Is there a way to find out if a derailleur hanger design is flimsy before buying a bike?
Online reviews or just looking at it. Flimsy hangers generally look flimsy.

Did you try a Wheels brand replacement hanger?

How about a pic of your hanger? What bike? Do you need to change the name to protect the innocent?
Old 02-03-24, 09:44 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
As Kontact says...flimsy hangers look flimsy...
They generally have large cutouts to save metal which may seem to be stiffer but may be prone to bending under heavy load but you really don't know until it occurs.
Some companies may make better hangers but not sure which ones.
I think there is a company that makes them/some? out of Titanium but I'm unsure...google that sh i t...
Having several spare hangers is always a good idea...I may have posted it earlier but I ride an Aethos '22 model frame and I bought 6 spare hangers just in case...LOL I really wanted three but I guess I hit the order button twice because six came in the mail...oh well as the saying goes...two is one and one is none...
Old 02-03-24, 11:05 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
As Kontact says...flimsy hangers look flimsy...
They generally have large cutouts to save metal which may seem to be stiffer but may be prone to bending under heavy load but you really don't know until it occurs.
Some companies may make better hangers but not sure which ones.
I think there is a company that makes them/some? out of Titanium but I'm unsure...google that sh i t...
Having several spare hangers is always a good idea...I may have posted it earlier but I ride an Aethos '22 model frame and I bought 6 spare hangers just in case...LOL I really wanted three but I guess I hit the order button twice because six came in the mail...oh well as the saying goes...two is one and one is none...
Wheels briefly made stainless steel hangers, but they probably realized that a hanger that doesn't bend definitely destroys the frame. Ti would have the same problem - when the hanger gets twisted it will tear the screws right out of the frame and rip apart the dropout.
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.