Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 10:23 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,972 Posts
Two more student giveaways! N-2

After these two, hopefully I have taller students who need and want bikes.

GT was a rust bucket but some heavy rubbing compound has it in a good stasis...

Red K2 cleaned up nicely.

Also got to use some parts that were languishing and would t have been used elsewhere...I DO like doing 1x7 or 1x 8 for kids. The left hand shifters go unused but easier to move out the door and in the low country, hills are non existent.

No splashy-ness here. Just a heavy steel triple triangle Outpost Trail which apparently is dark grey not black (oops).

I am loving these Maxxis Hookworms.Wish they came in 700c x 33 or something.

Rubber stopper for the stem

Cleaned up nicely. 1x7

I hate V brakes with a passion.

Coronado crank gets re-life!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-23-24, 10:30 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,494 Posts
The crew here at Trash Panda Werks started a “Dark Project” this morning

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-23-24, 10:58 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
The crew here at Trash Panda Werks started a “Dark Project” this morning

So, will we be getting a peek?
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-23-24, 03:56 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
Derailleur decision has been made. Moto C5 will be getting Suntour Superbe derailleurs (late 70's version) as it was the best derailleur on the market when the frame was manufactured. Thus it shall become the one and only (well, probably not) Motobecane Superbe. I wanted to keep it all French, but I think getting a bicycle with a nice Columbus SL frame and nice and well working components will give me more fun riding it. I thought for a moment about getting Simplex 6600, then saw the price, thought about potential problems getting it to work in a standard dropout and that combo was just a no go. Other option, Huret Jubilee, though can be found in a Campy-style dropout version, ain't exaclty cheap either. So, if I have a perfectly capable derailleur from the era, I think it's best to make use of it.
Weight weenie B Carre / Superator is getting Suntour Cyclone MK1. I just ordered a set, which doesn't look like much, so there will be some cleaning and overhauling. Here's hoping they are in good mechanical condition. For now I dug out two rear Cyclone derailleurs to see whether I can make the cable anchor bolt work and it seems with a spring washer this might be an option. Now more digging to figure out where I've stashed away spare Suntour pulley wheels.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-23-24, 04:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by daverup
So, will we be getting a peek?

There is a full blown expose' with lots of 8x10 glossy B&W prints with circles and arrows and paragraph on the back plus a video!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-23-24, 05:44 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I did actually use a wrench on the nut holding the volume control in. Picked this up today and found a bad solder joint. Now it sounds lovely!

FM3, new to me!
Dynaco for the win.
Soldering shares certain fundamentals with brazing a frame together, so it sorta qualifies??
I'm an electronics guy, so it makes sense to me.
It also reminds me that I need to make time to tear my trusty Pioneer SX-880 apart and clean all of the pots and switches. Probably need to check the capacitors and replace anything that looks sketchy. I bought it new in the late 70's, and it would be nice to use it again.
... and I also need to do the same for the Yamaha receiver that I bought to replace the Pioneer. <..sigh..>
Honestly, mechanical switches and potentiometers are just trouble waiting to happen, but it does take time to happen.

Steve in Peoria
(I've got a nice Walkman that should get the belt replaced too)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-23-24, 06:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
No real news here.
I did have an adjusting screw seize up in a SunTour Superbe Pro front derailleur and had a rough time getting it out. It ended up with a bit of mangling of the phillips head on the screw before getting serious about the penetrating oil and (eventually) some heat to break the aluminum body free of the steel screw.

In fairness, I've been using the derailleur for 34 years, and doubt that I've ever lubed the screw, so it's my fault.
This was a good opportunity to learn that the limit screws are M4 with a 0.5mm thread. Not exactly something that you find at the hardware store.
I did try to raid one from an older Cyclone that I'd stripped some threads out of, only to find that someone had replaced the equivalent limit screw with a coarser threaded M4!
As an interim fix, I just threw on a different Cyclone while waiting for the penetrating oil to work its magic.

For reference, here's the original limit screw....

This seemed like a good time to tear things apart and clean them up.
While doing so, I noticed that pivot points on the parallelogram had brass inserts! Very nice!

The limit screws now have plenty of anti-seize goo on them, and should be good for another 30 years of abuse (unlike my knees, I'm sure).

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-23-24, 07:50 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Putting in some of the hard work today of routing the dynamo wiring through the frame. Soldered on the SON coaxial connectors and found a way to easily route the cables through the frame. It involves a stiff brake cable and about 5 cm of 4:1 heat shrink tubing with glue on the inside. It barely makes the cable thicker and as long as the brake cable came through the rest is going to be surprisingly easy.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-24-24, 04:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Soldering shares certain fundamentals with brazing a frame together, so it sorta qualifies??
It also reminds me that I need to make time to tear my trusty Pioneer SX-880 apart and clean all of the pots and switches. Probably need to check the capacitors and replace anything that looks sketchy. I bought it new in the late 70's, and it would be nice to use it again.
... and I also need to do the same for the Yamaha receiver that I bought to replace the Pioneer. <..sigh..>
Honestly, mechanical switches and potentiometers are just trouble waiting to happen, but it does take time to happen.

Steve in Peoria
I have no idea what that is but it looks impressive, it also reminds me I have to get my Luxman RX101 back into the shop. The right channel is out again. Also the servo face is broken, again, but I don't really tthink that is repairable anymore.

Pic courtsey of the interwebs

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-24-24, 05:52 AM
VintageSteelEU

First snag with the build: headset. I found my Stronglight P3 for the Superator yesterday. First problem is the crown race. Or the steerer tube, rather. There is that thicker section the crown race is supposed to sit on. With my other bicycles (Motobecane ones, at least), that section was thicker at the bottom, next to the fork crown, and thinner at the top to match the inside shape of the crown race. Which doesn't seem to be the case with this one and I'm guessing I will have to grab a metal file later and modify it. Because right now the crown race sits 2mm above the fork crown. That's something to look into when I get myself a length of PVC pipe, so no rush.
The second problem, as pictured below, is a bit more puzziling. The flat section of the steerer tube, which on steerer tubes I have on other bicycles goes down a couple of centimeters, on this one is about 8-10mm only. As a result, the serrated spacer sits well above the top race. I think with the bearing balls in and the crown race seated properly, I think the gap might be slightly smaller, but not by much.The locknut has a lip that steerer tube buts against, so that's fully on (ideally I'd like it to sit 0.5mm above the top edge of the steerer). This is a new one for me, I usually had the opposite problem: headset stack being too high for the steerer tube.
The gap itself is not a problem, I can always look for more round spacers, refelctor holders etc. Serrated side not being flush with the top race is a problem. This makes headset adjustments impossible. Does anyone know if it's fine for me to file down the steerer tube and extend the flat section? What would be the best method for that? Handheld file, rotary tool?

Old 03-24-24, 06:00 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

First task of the day. Not only does the ironing board do double and triple duty but the bike stand pitches in too!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-24-24, 06:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
@IdahoBrett, you got the fork out with penetrating oil. Did you use any other tricks?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-24-24, 06:44 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@IdahoBrett, you got the fork out with penetrating oil. Did you use any other tricks?
Nothing special. Just a liberal application of Kroil. About 12 hours upright in the stand. Followed by 12 hours upside down on the floor.

I tried hitting the expander bolt with a rubber dead blow hammer throughout. But it was a ball peen hammer that knocked the “nut” loose with a single rap when the dead blow had no effect. I then chucked the fork up in a vise, supported by a couple pieces of 2x4 with card board for scratch protection. The BB sat nicely on my workbench.

I used the bars for leverage and started a twisting motion back and forth. The stem almost gave a perceptible “click” when the disimilar metal corrosion bond broke free. From there it was about 90 seconds of twisting while pulling up to remove the stem.

If there was one trick it would have to be the wrench set up I used for the lock nut. A large adjustable/crescent isn’t precise enough of a fit. A 1 3/16” Bonney style wrench with a custom cheater bar is what I used. I did not want to slip and round the edges off. I’ve used this set up a time or two in the 3 decades of wrenching on stuff that flies 6 miles up in the sky.

(reassembly began yesterday)

Last edited by IdahoBrett; 03-24-24 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Wrench info
Old 03-24-24, 10:11 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Preparing the spare parts list to be bought with new zipp quick releases, look delta pedals, probably another rare columbus genius frame at a good price if it is not sold
Old 03-24-24, 06:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Too too windy for riding so I spent most of the weekend building a trailer for my new to me Chester Yawl. The Yawl came on a double decker trailer and I’m using much of the upper deck for a bicycle trailer. Parts on hand don’t always work together as envisioned. Did a test ride with the lighter and shorter kayak—better to fail with a plastic boat. I should be able to make these wheelchair wheels from my Carry Freedom trailer work on this boat trailer. More tweaking to come. The Grand Jubile will do the hauling. The stock 32 in the back might not be enough with the 42. We’ll see.

Old 03-24-24, 07:30 PM
cjefferds 
Learning To Fly

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Raleigh Tourist (DL-1), '79 Raleigh Grand Prix, '71 Raleigh Sprite

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 47 Posts
So after coming to my senses the 84 Stumpjumper is almost ready to roll. Just waiting on some new oversized brake cables and housings.
Likes For cjefferds:
Old 03-24-24, 07:30 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Classtime
Too too windy for riding so I spent most of the weekend building a trailer for my new to me Chester Yawl. The Yawl came on a double decker trailer and I’m using much of the upper deck for a bicycle trailer. Parts on hand don’t always work together as envisioned. Did a test ride with the lighter and shorter kayak—better to fail with a plastic boat. I should be able to make these wheelchair wheels from my Carry Freedom trailer work on this boat trailer. More tweaking to come. The Grand Jubile will do the hauling. The stock 32 in the back might not be enough with the 42. We’ll see.

That's a nice way of wrapping the handlebar tape, over the hoods. I would have expected that to look bulky, but somehow it doesn't.

Today I had a novel idea: how about I actually measure the crown race ID and the steerer tube OD. The result? Well, the crown race ID is 26.5 and 26.4 (this crown race has a lip inside). Steerer tube section / shim the crown race goes on is 27.0mm. So it looks like some extra work will be needed, both to shave 0.5mm of that shim (or whatever it's called) and mirror the lip on the crown race. Then I think I'll grab the rotary tool to extend the flat section down the thread a bit and chase the threads with a spare French locknut and use reflector holder plus spacer to get the stack height right. At least that's the plan.
Speaking of plans, the Superator concept got modified today (again). I got Cyclone MK1 derailleurs on their way, but today I have also found a Huret Jubilee that seems to fit Campy dropouts. I tried to resist, I really did. I've got probably 20 derailleur sets I should get rid of. But then I looked at the Jubilee and it just looked sooo pretty. So. I've got Jubilee on the way. Since Superator is supposed to be the weight weenie, perhaps it's best if it gets the lightest vintage derailleur available. 50 grams lighter than the Superbe originally planned for it. Still need to find a front Jubilee and that probably won't be much lighter than Superbe FD. Shifters got changed to Simplex SLJ (5g lighter than Suntour Sprint ratcheting ones). Switching to Weinmann brakes shaves another 50g though. So whilst 100g is not that much, this might be of some use if I don't use a modern saddle.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-24-24, 10:20 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
So after coming to my senses the 84 Stumpjumper is almost ready to roll. Just waiting on some new oversized brake cables and housings.
I looked at the bars to see if it used Suntour Power Ratchet thumbies, but instead they're the bulky profile of Shimano shifters (OK for their time, but IMO not quite as nice as the Suntour version). But a glance at the rest of the bike reveals a deer head Deore group, so the shifters can be forgiven for being part of the set.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-24-24, 11:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I looked at the bars to see if it used Suntour Power Ratchet thumbies, but instead they're the bulky profile of Shimano shifters (OK for their time, but IMO not quite as nice as the Suntour version). But a glance at the rest of the bike reveals a deer head Deore group, so the shifters can be forgiven for being part of the set.
I have a couple sets of these I pulled the covers off of to make them a little less fugly, I think it helped a lot.

Old 03-24-24, 11:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Sticks are the enemy of fenders. I was feeling pretty smug on my ride as yesterday's heavy rains left behind puddles and little streams crossing the trail. With fenders, I didn't get any spray. Nice. But - bam! A stick got caught up high enough in the fender to do some serious damage. I was able to ride home, going slow the whole way. It's not too far.

The fender is already off and I'm thinking about new fenders. My preference has been Planet Bike or Velo Orange. I think these SKS fenders are more for the road. On the trails that I ride, these have taken a beating. The rear suffered a stick attack about two years ago and was shortened to cutaway the damage part.

The break-away tabs didn't release. I don't think it would have saved the fender anyway.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-24-24, 11:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by cjefferds
Atta boy,

Looks great!
Old 03-25-24, 05:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
@Velo Mule, that happened to me riding on a trail. It ruined a nice white Bluemels fender. They have been hard to get. It's sad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-25-24, 07:13 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Nothing special. Just a liberal application of Kroil. About 12 hours upright in the stand. Followed by 12 hours upside down on the floor.

I tried hitting the expander bolt with a rubber dead blow hammer throughout. But it was a ball peen hammer that knocked the “nut” loose with a single rap when the dead blow had no effect. I then chucked the fork up in a vise, supported by a couple pieces of 2x4 with card board for scratch protection. The BB sat nicely on my workbench.

I used the bars for leverage and started a twisting motion back and forth. The stem almost gave a perceptible “click” when the disimilar metal corrosion bond broke free. From there it was about 90 seconds of twisting while pulling up to remove the stem.

If there was one trick it would have to be the wrench set up I used for the lock nut. A large adjustable/crescent isn’t precise enough of a fit. A 1 3/16” Bonney style wrench with a custom cheater bar is what I used. I did not want to slip and round the edges off. I’ve used this set up a time or two in the 3 decades of wrenching on stuff that flies 6 miles up in the sky.

(reassembly began yesterday)
We called that a 'Torque Enhancer' in the railroad industry. Using a 'cheater bar' was frowned upon by those who made up the safety rules.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 03-25-24, 08:10 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
We called that a 'Torque Enhancer' in the railroad industry. Using a 'cheater bar' was frowned upon by those who made up the safety rules.
When I worked at the power plant, the mechanics had some huge wrenches that had a big square "handle" that was made to be hit with a sledge hammer. I presume they only used it for disassembly, since they were pretty anal about torque specs on assembly.

from the net
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-25-24, 08:16 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
Don't forget coupling caps!
Likes For 52telecaster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.