Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Surmey Archer 8 speed hub

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 01:56 AM
caotropheus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings Fellas

Does anyone of you ever used a Sturmey Archer internal 8 speed hub for more agressive mountain bicycling like freeride, DH, urban, 4x or dirt jumping ?

https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=HU2206

I have a Mongoose Fireball 2005 frame and I want to build a bicycle for Urban and Dirt Jump and I would like to know how would you rate this hub.
Old 07-06-07, 06:24 AM
taylor p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it says its intended use is road
Old 07-06-07, 09:32 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caotropheus
Greetings Fellas

Does anyone of you ever used a Sturmey Archer internal 8 speed hub for more agressive mountain bicycling like freeride, DH, urban, 4x or dirt jumping ?

I have a Mongoose Fireball 2005 frame and I want to build a bicycle for Urban and Dirt Jump and I would like to know how would you rate this hub.
I haven't yet - - and I do mean yet. I'm dying to try one. I actually think that the one Alfred E. Bike has is the XRK8, as I don't think they made a disc-compatible S8.

If I still had my AS-X, I'd have one right now to tell you whether or not it blew up; but I got a new frame this season that takes 150mm hub spacing.

My own personal belief is that if it's being used for gravity and not subjected to outlandish torque loads that it might hold up -- as long as the axle doesn't break. How 'bout you get one, wring it out and report back to us?
Old 07-06-07, 12:31 PM
caotropheus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
I haven't yet - - and I do mean yet. I'm dying to try one. I actually think that the one Alfred E. Bike has is the XRK8, as I don't think they made a disc-compatible S8.

If I still had my AS-X, I'd have one right now to tell you whether or not it blew up; but I got a new frame this season that takes 150mm hub spacing.

My own personal belief is that if it's being used for gravity and not subjected to outlandish torque loads that it might hold up -- as long as the axle doesn't break. How 'bout you get one, wring it out and report back to us?
Basically I would like to avoid a derrailleur on a jumping bicycle. The Mongoose Fireball frame has the advantage of having rear fork ends and not dropouts. This means that I can tension the chain without a tensioner and this opens the possibilities for an internal gear hub. And yes, if the axle is strong enough an internal gear hub is better for a jumping bicycle, no dough about it. I will pose the question we are discussing here to Sheldon Brown since he knows a great deal about internal geared hubs.
As an alternative to an internal gear hub I can make a single speed wheel with a Formula (BX-2210) BMX hub I have laying around.
Old 07-06-07, 02:13 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by caotropheus
Basically I would like to avoid a derrailleur on a jumping bicycle. The Mongoose Fireball frame has the advantage of having rear fork ends and not dropouts. This means that I can tension the chain without a tensioner and this opens the possibilities for an internal gear hub. And yes, if the axle is strong enough an internal gear hub is better for a jumping bicycle, no dough about it. I will pose the question we are discussing here to Sheldon Brown since he knows a great deal about internal geared hubs.
As an alternative to an internal gear hub I can make a single speed wheel with a Formula (BX-2210) BMX hub I have laying around.
On the same wavelength. I was looking to avoid hanging derailleur on the rock-infested DH courses we have here.

Funny, I posed a similar question to SB a year or two ago - - except it was about the SRAM Dual-Drive. At the time it was the only disc-ready internal hub available; except it's only a three-speed. (Good thing is it has 135mm mountain spacing instead of 130 like so many). He was skeptical if it could withstand the punishment. At only a tick over $100, though, it'd be worth the experiment to try I thought.
Old 08-07-07, 08:17 AM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone have a link to where these are available ..
here-->

https://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_8spd_XRK8.php

XRK8
Description
• 8 Speed Internal Gear Hub for use with Disc Brakes

Cheers Timo
Old 08-07-07, 09:32 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soderbiker
anyone have a link to where these are available ..
here-->

https://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_8spd_XRK8.php

XRK8
Description
• 8 Speed Internal Gear Hub for use with Disc Brakes

Cheers Timo
I found a product shot on the web recently that had a QPB (Quality Bicycle Products - - a wholesaler that a good many LBSs order from) watermark. If your LBS orders from Quality, have 'em give them a jingle and see if they actually stock it.

For web purchase, Alfred E. Bike is supposed to have it:

...for $122 including the shifter, cable and hardware. They call it an S80 in their description; but the accompanying photo is clearly of an XRK8:

(Speaking of the QBP watermark^^^)

Last edited by dminor; 08-07-07 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 10:21 AM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@ Dminor ..

thanks a million for that .
& they ship internationally .

Im getting 1 .
See yah
Cheers T

Last edited by soderbiker; 08-07-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-08-07, 09:05 AM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
update ...

I have 1 on order . as soon as i get it & i have laced it up and tested , ill let you all know what i think ..

Cheers T
Old 08-08-07, 09:30 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
update ...

I have 1 on order . as soon as i get it & i have laced it up and tested , ill let you all know what i think ..

Cheers T
Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm curious whether or not this little jewel is going to blow up under the rigors of mountain biking
Old 09-04-07, 06:17 PM
bobbotron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update ...

Cheers T
I've been thinking about building up a mountain bike with one of these. Did you ever get your hub? How has it held up?
Old 09-04-07, 06:43 PM
soccerun8728

Bikes: 2010 Wilier Gran Turismo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about the Rohloff Speedhub. I read their website, it can have a threaded axle and a DH chain tensioner. The chain tensioner tells me that it can be used on a DH bike. I know the one draw back is price but has any one thought about it.
Old 09-04-07, 07:29 PM
streetlightpoet
Banned.

Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Surly 1x1, 2 70's Bianchi folders, Swingbike, Columbia Cruiser 3 spd, Specialized Big Hit and P.2, Cove G-Spot, Xtracycled Bianchi San Jose.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been done, you can google it. I don't know how well they hold up but I saw one built up on a cove g-spot a few weeks ago on some site, and there is currently a mtn bike on ebay with one.
Old 09-04-07, 08:04 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soccerun8728
What about the Rohloff Speedhub. I read their website, it can have a threaded axle and a DH chain tensioner. The chain tensioner tells me that it can be used on a DH bike. I know the one draw back is price but has any one thought about it.
It's been done in just about every application. The only drawback besides weight is price. The only time weight is really going to be a drawback for the Rohloff is for XC. AM, DH, FR rigs won't mind gaining an extra 1/2 pound for the benefits of the Rohloff, but the XC weight weenie will gain much more than that b/c the goofy-light components that normally grace the top end XC weiner's ride would weigh about a pound less.

So, yeah...the only drawback is the price. I know that I can't afford to chuck all my XT crap, Hope Pro II's and throw down $1500 on a set of wheels with a shifter.

If I could, believe me I would...in any application. Especially freeride where you often fall off a skinny and tweak a derailleur or hanger.

My perfect setup would be more of a light AM setup like a Heckler / Pike / Rohloff / EX5.1d's, and Thomson all around.