Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eliptical Trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Eliptical Trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 07:50 AM
FizzyPop
Pedestrian Like

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Big Sky SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eliptical Trainer?

My wife has been wanting to buy an Eliptical trainer for a while now and I have been wondering in what ways it might help me with cycling, apart from the obvious aerobic workout. Are there any negatives and do any roadies here use them?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-29-07, 08:21 AM
not2blu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I trained on an elipitcal trainer for months before I got into cyclng. 8 miles/day x 3 days/week. Then I got on a bike and have never been out of breath on it. Great for endurance.
Old 10-29-07, 08:25 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by FizzyPop
. Are there any negatives and do any roadies here use them?

Thanks,
Matt
The negative is that it's not a bike. If you want to go fast on a bike, ride a bike. Hence a trainer will always be a better workout for cycling, than an eliptical trainer, treadmill, stairclimber etc.

If you just want to be fit, want a change of pace and aren't training for racing, an elipitical trainer would be fine.

Personally, I'll use one in a gym traveling if they don't have a bike, or just as a change of pace fro the Lifecycle, but for home fitness equipment, for cycling, a trainer, and or rollers, are much better choices.
Old 10-29-07, 09:23 AM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my wife ruined her knee on one. hyperextended it by going a little "gung-ho"
if you use it, take it easy. I think it'd be more fun than the trainer for the ultra-nasty days outside
Old 10-29-07, 10:41 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to use the elliptical at the gym at my workplace when the weather is especially bad or a co-worker wants some company at said gym. The elliptical was also instrumental in keeping some fitness when I dealt w/ a knee injury that kept me mostly off the bike for two months.
Old 10-29-07, 01:30 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a thread on this very thing this past month.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-29-07, 09:57 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just bought one for my wife. We got a deal on a Precor (2007 floor model). These things all feel VERY different so you need to try several before you buy. We tried models from Vision, Precor, Nautilus, Life Fitness, Sports Art, and some other less expensive ones as well. Most of them felt cramped and bouncy to me. My comfortable "stride length" seems to be really long so the normal lengths of these just didn't work.

Schwinn has a highly rated one around $800, but the really good ones start at around $1500 and go up to around $5000. Smooth Fitness sells on line and by all accounts you get a lot for your money, but after trying a few, there's no way I'd buy one without trying.

Of the ones we tried, this is the one I liked best: https://www.sportsartamerica.com/SAF/...ticals/E83.asp

She hated it but loved this which is what we bought: https://www.precor.com/cons/en/efx/517i/

The Nautilus was kind of interesting. The stride length was sort of floating so it followed how far you wanted to move. I think you'd have to get used to it.

I'll stick with rollers.
Old 10-29-07, 10:21 PM
soccerun8728

Bikes: 2010 Wilier Gran Turismo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ellipticals are fun and all for the first 30 minutes or so. I used to use one during high school x-country, when I was injured. I had to do about 12 miles with my heart rate above 170. The only problem was the fact that the stride length was too short. I could never transition from heel to toe, the stride was too short and I was on my toes the whole time. If you do buy one make sure you test ride it, like halfspeed said what works for one person may not work for another. The best one that I have ever been on was a healthrider, I believe. It had adjustable stride lengths so it could fit a wider group of runners. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 10-30-07, 04:24 AM
Tri-FatBoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I played on the one in the work gym as there were no treadmills avail. I hated every minute of it and went back to running on a treadmill when one became avail.
Old 10-30-07, 05:42 AM
airosen

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500, 1998 Raleigh Tarantula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ellipticals... fast and easy way to get your heartrate up. I'm not sure if it helps cycling in particular, but any cardio exercise is good in my view.
Old 10-30-07, 07:18 AM
FizzyPop
Pedestrian Like

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Big Sky SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. We have been to all the major stores and tried alot of them. There really is a difference in the fit and stride length and what feels comfortable. I was surprised by that. Anyway, we narrowed it down to what felt good ( a Sole E25 btw) and I am looking forward to doing something different in the winter months other than using a trainer to keep in shape.
Old 10-30-07, 08:49 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Find an elliptical trainer that has a ramp that you can adjust electronically rather than moving arms. Set the ramp all the way up and set the resistance as high as you can stand then work hard for an hour a day for the entire off season. Add some squats to keep your guads in good shape and you will get great cardio along with some big hammies.
Old 10-30-07, 09:45 AM
Spin Cycle
Decelerated Motorist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an elliptical a couple of times a week to augment spin class during the winter. To better match your motion on a bike, do not lift your heels and keep them flat at all times - great for the glutes.