Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Your opinions on new bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 08:38 PM
liv_rong

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I am planning on buying a new bike in two weeks, possibly this week. I work at a shop and can get an employee purchase(-20% off wholesale) and am having trouble deciding what to get. I know whatever i get that I will strip the bike down right away and get it repainted for free by a professional. I also plan on getting a new fork and if I get the bike from the manufacturer, I would want to upgrade the derailuers and shifters right away, most likely to XT.

Here is my dilema, I can get a bike from BikesDirect.com, and it already has, at first glance, better components. But, I do not know the frame manufacturer so I am not sure of the quality. I guess there are ups and downs to whichever i decide. But what would you do in my situation?

Here are the bikes in question:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1265/29357/

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane_700HT.htm

I like that the XTC has hydraulic brakes. I like that the Motobecane has XT rear derailer, but sucks that its not rapid rise. It seems with both bikes I am not really getting what I want for shifters and derailuers though, so Im kind of up in the air of what to do.

My budget for the bike is $550, only the bike from box, not any upgrades that I would do. You guys have any opinions for me at all? Thanks for the guidance, its much appreciated. I work at more of a road shop and your daily commuter types so the people I work with have more experience in that aspect than the mountain aspect of things. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-08, 09:24 PM
giant rules!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from those 2 i would pick the giant...it has better components and fork
Old 04-09-08, 08:04 AM
nodnerb

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
The giant is, by far, the better bike and brand name.
Old 04-09-08, 12:45 PM
tizeye 

Bikes: 1985 Falcon, 2008 Jamis Dakota Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant hands down!
Even Giant's less expensive XTC2 os better than the Moto.

This is classic Motobecaine. The solo XT component is on there for marketing purposes only as they downgrade every other component and hope you don't know anybetter. Then they want you to compare it to $1000 Trek and Specialized. It fails miserably. Another way of thinking about it is that the Moto is appropriately priced at $499 and if Trek and Specialized actually downgraded their bikes to Moto level, they would be priced at $499.

If you want the XT rear deraileur, buy it and stick it on any bike.
Old 04-09-08, 01:24 PM
liv_rong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew the Giant had better all around components, and I figured everyone would say to get that one. The other mechanic at the shop was trying to push me into the directbikes.com direction. I know that I will upgrade a lot of parts over time, but right away only the shifters, derailuers and fork. So the Giant seems better as the other components are already better than the Moto, and if i were to have any frame problems it would be much easier to get thyem taken care of right away, since i work at a Giant dealer.

On another note, does anyone have any recomendations for a fork? I will be riding mostly single trails with moderate climbs, moderate roots/rocks/fallen tree's, nothing serious as I live in the Chicago area. I am about 195 pounds and will not be doing any serious jumping or drop offs either.

Thanks guys
Old 04-09-08, 01:35 PM
soccerun8728

Bikes: 2010 Wilier Gran Turismo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you really hate SRAM the X.7 derailleur is actually really nice. I love my SRAM shifters and derailleur after coming from a Shimano drive train. Also, the fork isn't too bad and will be more than enough for the terrain around Chicago. If you want to change the fork, what is your budget? Forks can range a lot in price between the different company's.
Old 04-09-08, 03:32 PM
liv_rong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as SRAM goes, its not that I have anything against them, I just prefer Shimano and know/trust them more. I have had to deal with a lot from both companies and to me it seems that the Shimano stuff holds out better, granted I have never came across any bad higher end SRAM stuff.

For my fork budget, it would be between $200-250. Also, bare in mind I am getting any of my upgrades directly from the distributors at cost. I am hoping to sell the forks, derailers and shifters for whatever I can get for them, and if not keep them as back ups I guess, or possible transfer them over to my GF's bike which I am getting for her as well, on closeout though.

Hey Soccerrun, you live in CHicago? WHere do you ride? I live practically right next to the Desplaines river trail that runs up to Wisconsin and down far past Ohare. There are some pretty cool sections in those trails. You ever hit them up?
Old 04-09-08, 04:24 PM
mcoine

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you even consider a bikesdirect bike when you work at a bike shop?
Old 04-09-08, 05:14 PM
liv_rong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
Why would you even consider a bikesdirect bike when you work at a bike shop?
hahaha, well good question. The head mechanic just sold a really nice, practically brand neww road bike for a new one from bikes direct. His thinking was it came with better components and was a better all around deal. In his case, I believe he came out with a damn good bike. Now, in my case it is another story. I guess I was just tossing the idea around and he got me hyped on the idea. I am going for the Giant, now its just a matter of choosing some new components. I hope to have it up and running soon, I just need to make some decisions on a fork. i would really like to have everything purchased and ready for assembly once the frame is done being painted.