Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do people run?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do people run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 11:01 PM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tkm
As for running beating your joints to a pulp, that's not quite true. Read the link further up the page.
It's a magazine article. Hardly a fount of knowledge. And it's in a running magazine. Written by people who are passionate about running and want to keep running. Read by people who are passionate about running and want to keep running. Figure it out.
Old 06-21-09, 11:02 PM
c0lnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I can run on a trail, listen to tunes and not worry about becoming the hood ornament on a F250 a few times/week.
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to run, losing toenails sucks. lol
ImRael
A Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My feet are too flat. I sound like half a horse when I run.
Old 06-21-09, 11:05 PM
IbikezLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't run because I want to preserve my knees. I used to do a lot of running(didnt have good knees to begin with) and after months of painful conditioning ,for the knees, I could go 10+ miles without knee pain. Now, my knees kind of suck again and I can't run 2 miles with my knees feeling swollen or numb or inflamed.

Running is fun though. When I could do it, I loved it. Just the ability to move quickly for a long period of time like that was good for my self esteem.

Last edited by IbikezLA; 06-21-09 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 11:05 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImRael
My feet are too flat. I sound like half a horse when I run.
Old 06-21-09, 11:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
I used to love running. It's much more pure than cycling... just you, the road, and your lactate threshold.

But it beats your joints into pulp. That's why I'm a cyclist now.
Yes, and that's the same path I'm doing (though I want to still run some).

Also, cross training is good. Running and biking use different muscles.

Running is also a whole lot cheaper, and much easier to do spontaneously. No tires to check pressure on. No packing a saddle bag. No chains to lube. No cables to adjust. Tie shoes, go.
Old 06-21-09, 11:16 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tkm
Maybe it's just me, but I can sneak in a 20 minute run (about 2.5-3 miles) quite often. To get the same workout feeling from cycling I have to spend about 2 hours or more on a bike. Some days I just don't have that kind of time or I'd rather spend the time with my family.
I hear that. It takes me probably 2hrs. including messing with the bike and gear to do my regular 16 mile loop ride up the trails here (including about 2000' of climbing, mainly in the 6 to 8 range, but with some sections as high as 15%). I'm with you in thinking 20 minutes of running would do me just as good. I guess I'll have to mix that in on the weekdays afterwork when I don't have enough time for a ride.
Old 06-21-09, 11:18 PM
chadteck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I much prefer cycling to running. If you can move much faster given the same amount of effort, then why not do it?

It doesn't make sense when people claim that running is a better workout than cycling. If you aren't burning the same number of calories cycling as you are running, then you aren't riding fast enough.
Old 06-21-09, 11:44 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this point, I vastly prefer cycling to running, though when the rainy weather hits my glasses are going to be an issue (I would run without my glasses and just deal with the blurry vision, not a good idea on a bike lol)

I love the speed, the distance I can travel, the sheer FUN of cycling. Once I either get my road bike working right for me or get another one, I'll love it even more. I hardly ever take the bus anymore!
Old 06-21-09, 11:46 PM
Neurodoc
Action Potential

Bikes: Specialized Ruby S-works 2008, Specialized Safire FSR Expert 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get runners either. It doesn't look fun. I never see runners smiling, except maybe at the end of the run when they don't have to run anymore.
Old 06-22-09, 12:00 AM
IbikezLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the fun part for me ,with running, was being able to zone out and keep going, that was just something else-a total surreal experience on some windy days at the beach. Whilst riding I've always got something else to think about and sometimes it bugs me or stresses me out. Plus it was a good way to show off fitness since you can't always have a bike around
Old 06-22-09, 01:59 AM
kidonabike
Hello :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invwnut
Based on your username: kidonabike, I would venture to say that you are pretty young. The pain does start becoming an issue in the late 30s to mid 40s. Running 3-5mi/day may not do it. Try running a half marathon every weekend or once a week while still doing 3-6mi/day.

I agree though it is another form of physical enjoyment. It is cheap compared to many other sports. My body can handle the running at 40yrs old but it struggled after a half marathon. The pounding was pure hell. I like cycling because, to me, it's a more graceful sport where you can glide through the wind. It feels more free.
Yeah I'm a youngster, 19 and will be twenty in a few months. My mileage is a bit deceptive since I do a lot of other sports and just don't rack up that many miles running. This past May I actually ran the La Jolla Half marathon and finished a tad under 2hr (1:52).

Thirdin77: Yeah I'm going to start focusing on less abusive activities soon heh. Even at a sprightly 20yo I still feel beat up on weekends. Plus it's getting expensive and I am on a severely limited budget...
Old 06-22-09, 03:07 AM
davids0507

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People have been saying things about mileage and joints and things -- I always found that I was most likely to get injured when I increased mileage or ran inconsistently -- I never hurt myself when I was running a lot of miles consistently. If you run enough, you're strong enough, and your technique is good enough, the pounding is mostly absorbed by muscle -- my quads would always get sore when I started to run more on harder surfaces (road vs dirt) when I was in good shape.
Old 06-22-09, 05:44 AM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I run too but prefer cycling. Like getting properly fitted on a bike you got to work on your running style to avoid injuries, especially if you want to do long distance running. If you are starting to run after some time off you got to ease into it or else you will experience pain.
Old 06-22-09, 05:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Does the runners' forum have postings entitled "Why do People Cycle??"

I would love to try running occasionally, but even a single 1 mile run and my knees cry "uncle"....I can race-walk pretty fast without knee pain but that is way too dorky, even for me.
Old 06-22-09, 06:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tkm
The workout I can get in 15-20 minues from running is far greater than any 15-20 minutes spent on a bike.

To get the same workout feeling from cycling I have to spend about 2 hours or more on a bike.
If it takes you 2 hours to get a work out on the bike, you're not riding hard enough. Try doing a set of Tabata intervals, and see if you got a workout.

People who say biking is too easy, or they can't get a workout in a short period, simply aren't riding hard enough.

If you go out and just ride your bike at a moderate pace, the analogy is walking, not running.

If you go out and push, you can get a workout in in very short order.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-22-09, 06:14 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
i'll add that depending on where you are geographically, running may be way easier. there is a system of parks in my town with about an 8 mile loop, when i was training for the marathon, this was all i needed to get in all my long runs, and speed work-outs, traffic free.

biking generally requires a little more route planning to accomplish certain goals.

that said, i think its makes perfect sense to mix both running and cycling (for me). they both offer a great workout, and i thoroughly enjoy both.
Old 06-22-09, 06:15 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
If you're already fit, running may be fine. If you're overweight, everything bounces wrong when you try to run. Also, I find that if I run at what seems a natural pace, that is too fast, and I have to stop. If I "run" at a sustainable pace, I feel like I'm trying to run in slow motion.

The best exercise I ever found was hiking uphill. It gets you the aerobic benefits, works your legs, but doesn't have the bouncing and jarring that running has.
Old 06-22-09, 06:32 AM
antiaverage
Pedantic Antics

Bikes: 1 30-speed Ultegra Road, 1 43/16 Fixed, 1 47/15 Fixed, 1 Converted Beach Cruiser to Pennyfakething

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadteck
I much prefer cycling to running. If you can move much faster given the same amount of effort, then why not do it?
That's why I skydive.

Originally Posted by chadteck
It doesn't make sense when people claim that running is a better workout than cycling. If you aren't burning the same number of calories cycling as you are running, then you aren't riding fast enough.
You get more of an upper-body workout with running, especially with hand weights, so it's not just about the calories you burn. The trade-off is that its rough on your joints. It may make them stronger over time according to Runner's World, but going from cycling to running is quite a noticeable stress difference.

People who are new to running always have the most issues during the first week. If you hang on and stick to it, it does get much better rather quickly. So much of it is mental, puking included.
Old 06-22-09, 06:35 AM
iron.wren

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asmallsol
So as something to do with my girlfriend, we decided to enter a 5K run towards the end of July. I've ran a total of 4 miles YTD, so I figure I should at least get a couple runs in before the race.

So I went out for about a 2.5 mile route. Not a quick pace. Felt okay during the run. Get done...puke a little. Right now as I type this, I'm kinda in pain.

I've done 70 mile RR with tons of climbing, hour cat2-3 crits with average speed of 28mph, and my HR avg was 175, and besides feeling gassed, there's no pain. Not like this. Now I ask, why do people run.
you have trained your body to that level on a bike, i do a 2.5 mile route for breakfast. I ran in high school and shape and tuned my body for running. When you first started riding you had to start out small, same in running, consistency is key
Old 06-22-09, 06:43 AM
purefreedom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am running 3-4 times a week alternating 5 and 3 mile runs to keep in shape and keep my Army PT test scores up...I then got into riding this road bike...LOL...let me tell you, riding the bike helped my runs because riding that bike up these hills makes a hilly 5 mile run feel like a walk in the park!! Riding helped me manage fatigue and pain, so now when I run, the pain and discomfort I use to have is a distant memory...
Old 06-22-09, 06:46 AM
n00bL35
=microburst=

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went for a 4 mile fast walk with my wife the other day. Every joint in my lower body was stiff, swollen and in pain for 3 days. I forced myself onto my bike for a 20 mile ride, and when I got back, the pain in my legs and back was gone. I'm not going to say that running is always bad for everyone, but I simply cannot do it, and am much better off on my bike.
Old 06-22-09, 06:53 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
If you're already fit, running may be fine. If you're overweight, everything bounces wrong when you try to run. Also, I find that if I run at what seems a natural pace, that is too fast, and I have to stop. If I "run" at a sustainable pace, I feel like I'm trying to run in slow motion.

The best exercise I ever found was hiking uphill. It gets you the aerobic benefits, works your legs, but doesn't have the bouncing and jarring that running has.
I'm overweight and I can't run very far although I could bike all day. The only running that makes sense for me is short anaerobic bursts up stairs. I suspect the joint damage is minimal since you are placing your leading foot rather than landing on it, and putting in shorter workouts to expend the same effort.

And you should walk back down the stairs
Old 06-22-09, 06:54 AM
soccerun8728

Bikes: 2010 Wilier Gran Turismo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to run when I was in high school, not too long ago. I was usually around 60-100 miles a week. After I had three stress fractures and some knee pain I decided I was done running that much. I will still go out for runs but it is more to stay in shape. I do like to ride my bike more and will probably start cross training. Running does place more of a demand on your body, from my point of view. However, cycling can get you in more trouble, it is so much easier to go beyond what your body is capable then if you were running. There isn't a lot of physical pain with cycling where running tells your body when enough is enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.