Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a Davidson?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is this a Davidson?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23, 02:14 PM
2wheeljonz 

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Titanium, AX, '74 Raleigh International, Velo Orange Randonneur, Trek 7600, Fuji Touring Series V, DeRosa, Miami Vice Ironman, Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 22 Posts
Is this a Davidson?

I bought this from a guy who said he got it at an estate sale. The only thing saying it is a Davidson is the decal set. However, it is a nicely made frame with thinned lugs, Campagnolo dropouts and nice brake bridge and wheel stay bridge. No serial number can be found but I read that he did not do serial numbers.
‘Thoughts? Possible year or model?
Thanks
2wheeljonz

Likes For 2wheeljonz:
Old 11-10-23, 02:30 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 92 Posts
You can contact Bill about it. He's still building, and if anyone would know, it would be him! He'd also likely be able to date it for you and give you additional info.

Davidson | Handbuilt Bicycles since 1973 (davidsonbicycles.com)
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 11-10-23, 04:08 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts
I don't know anything about Davidsons, but I do know that that is one bee-yoo-tiful frame.
Likes For Lamont Cobb:
Old 11-10-23, 04:42 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheeljonz
Yep definitely a Davidson, model name Challenge, probably '83-'84. That was a small-batch production road racer. Tange Champion, tube gauges vary by frame size but mostly equivalent to #1. Rear OLD 126mm, 27.2 seat post.

By the next year, the Challenge was mostly replaced by the Impulse, which was pretty much the same frame only with the more racy looking "MER" crown, and made of Prestige instead of Champion. Same steel only heat-teated, and maybe some lighter gauges here and there (I don't remember).

The Challenge remained on offer after the Impulse came out, but not too many were built or sold; most people wanted an Impulse.

Later Challenge frames got cooler seatstay tops that were investment cast with the Davidson name cast in relief, sorta pantographed-looking. That's why I don't think yours is newer than '84, maybe '85 at the latest. Though it might have hung on the ceiling for a couple of years before it sold.

Forks and rear triangles were made by Tange, and even the main triangle tubes came mitered at both ends by Tange, to Bill's specs. They were very quick to build, with the nice Takahashi lugs that needed almost zero prep before brazing, and almost no cleanup after brazing either. The lugs were not "thinned", they were cast that way. We pretty much perfected the art of lug brazing, getting the time to braze a lug down to under 2 minutes on average, with zero blobs or spatter, just nice clean shorelines that needed no filing, pretty much ever.

Champion is great steel, and I actually prefer the "HNR" crown on the Challenge over the MER on the Impulse, so I rate a Challenge as a great production frame.

I guess you could say I'm biased, but I never actually built any, they were built by the rest of the crew, while I made the one-off custom frames, which eventually became known as the Signature model. I did help a lot with making fixtures, developing processes and training the crew, but it was definitely Bill's baby. His design, his vision.

Mark B
Old 11-10-23, 05:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Appears nice, I like this fork crown also.
in the Robvolz anti color
Likes For repechage:
Old 11-10-23, 05:03 PM
2wheeljonz 

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Titanium, AX, '74 Raleigh International, Velo Orange Randonneur, Trek 7600, Fuji Touring Series V, DeRosa, Miami Vice Ironman, Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 22 Posts
Thank you so much, bulgie for the identification and history. This place is the best!
2wheeljonz
Likes For 2wheeljonz:
Old 11-10-23, 05:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Thank you so much, bulgie for the identification and history. This place is the best!
2wheeljonz
Great score, well done.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-10-23, 05:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Yep definitely a Davidson, model name Challenge, probably '83-'84.
I would have guessed the same based on the decals/details, but then I saw the portacatena holes. Would y'all have used those dropouts as late as that?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-10-23, 05:31 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Yup!, the general details on the bike indicates it is a Davidson. The very glossy paint (Most likely Dupont Imron) is also what Davidson used.
​​​It just does not have the pantographs on the fork crown and seat stay caps that other model Davidsons have.
My 1983 Davidson Signature has a portecatena drive side rear DO.
I think that was the last year they used the portecatena dropouts.

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-10-23 at 05:48 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 11-10-23, 06:45 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I would have guessed the same based on the decals/details, but then I saw the portacatena holes. Would y'all have used those dropouts as late as that?
We didn't send dropouts to Tange, they had their own supply. Maybe they bought too many back when the PC holes were still a thing, and they were still burning through old stock?
Likes For bulgie:
Old 11-10-23, 07:25 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Oops I said your frame has Takahashi lugs but then I looked at the pictures... D'oh! Those are Henry James (Folson) lugs. That's what the first Challenges were made with, before he got the Taka lugs. So definitely before my time there. I started in '84 and we had the Taka lugs by then, so my guess is '83 for yours.

I regret the mistake!
Likes For bulgie:
Old 11-10-23, 07:28 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
2wheeljonz, that Blue Davidson is drop-dead gorgeous. Chombi1, that red/burgundy Davidson is drop-dead gorgeous.

Now, how do I clen the drool out of my keyboard?
Old 11-10-23, 07:31 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I bought this from a guy who said he got it at an estate sale. The only thing saying it is a Davidson is the decal set. However, it is a nicely made frame with thinned lugs, Campagnolo dropouts and nice brake bridge and wheel stay bridge. No serial number can be found but I read that he did not do serial numbers.
Thanks
2wheeljonz

That for crown looks like the ones De Rosa used for a goodly number of years. Am I right or am I delusional?

(And yes, I realize I could be both.)
Old 11-10-23, 08:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
That for crown looks like the ones De Rosa used for a goodly number of years. Am I right or am I delusional?

(And yes, I realize I could be both.)
plays the part, DeRosa had a minor evolution too, some had a slight lift and part fillet before the crown race, others flat straight across.
the “fangs” (interesting term by some) have blunt ends-
Richard Sachs has had his own versions, the latest pushing the blades farther apart.
I prefer the earlier designs fashioned from the Fischer sand cast unit where the fangs end at a point.
took Quite a bit of effort to control the appearance of those.
Old 11-10-23, 08:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
2wheeljonz, that Blue Davidson is drop-dead gorgeous. Chombi1, that red/burgundy Davidson is drop-dead gorgeous.

Now, how do I clen the drool out of my keyboard?
With the bib you should have been wearing.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-10-23, 08:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sure. If you had a pile of them sitting in a box from when you ordered a bulk lot years ago, why not?
Likes For JohnDThompson: