Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

double for mtb?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

double for mtb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 12:32 PM
Toxanadu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
double for mtb?

My knees are not used to and not liking the width of cranks that are triples. Can I use a double crank with a 108 length bb? Anyone else do that? Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-07, 01:47 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I ran a double back in my racing days, but basically just took the small chainring off, instead of replacing the crankset.

Where would one acquire a double for the rigors of MTB'ing?
Old 12-08-07, 02:26 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I'm running a road isis BB on my raceface prodigy cranks with two rings. It works fine. Granny gears are definitly not needed around raleigh, nc, and this skinny q-factor feels more familiar (started on road bikes).

you can only run a shorter BB if you have a square taper, ISIS, or old (3 piece) XTR. Newer shimano octalinks are different between road and mountain stuff.
Old 12-08-07, 02:47 PM
sleazy
everyone has a plan...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I'm running a road isis BB on my raceface prodigy cranks with two rings. It works fine. Granny gears are definitly not needed around raleigh, nc, and this skinny q-factor feels more familiar (started on road bikes).

you can only run a shorter BB if you have a square taper, ISIS, or old (3 piece) XTR. Newer shimano octalinks are different between road and mountain stuff.
same thing... i commute on a mnt bike (14miles a day) but ride >10K a year on a road bike. there's about an inch and a half difference in Q between the two. the knees did NOT like the change at all. changed out the BB and threw on a Truvativ 42/52 they had in the shop and off i went.

works great.
Old 12-08-07, 07:36 PM
soccerun8728

Bikes: 2010 Wilier Gran Turismo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a double crank set on my mountain bike. It is a Truvativ Holzfeller 2.2 RG, I don't know what the BB length is or what the q-factor is though.
Old 12-09-07, 03:50 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
You can just take the little ring off to run double, but that doesn't solve your q-factor problem. What you want to do is buy a 2x9 specific crank like the Middleburn RS8 duo, the FRM 2x9, or the new FSA 2x9 when it comes out. This way you can run a tighter BB and reduce your Q-factor to a more road-like configuration. I believe extralite makes a double crank as well.