Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How do you gain support?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

How do you gain support?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 04:15 PM
Cheeto
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 3900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you gain support?

Ok, so the 2004 Race Jamis Komodo frames are like, a killer deal right now... I want to buy one and build up a bike, Most of the parts would just come off my 3900 until I can upgrade better.-This is just so I cna ride. (yes I know not all of the parts will work for it.) I asked my mom if I could go ahead and buy the frame.. she just sighed and was like"I knew you wouldn't be happy with the bike we got you" I tried explaning here that different frames have different things and that I ride a little to hard for the 3900. She just said no.
SO how do I go about getting this support that I need?

I would really like to, in the future do my own build. I'm torn apart from a HArdtail or a Fully lol.

At that frame price, the Komodo is awesome

Last edited by Cheeto; 04-28-08 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 04:25 PM
scelia
Just rollin' thru...

Bikes: Gunnar Rock Hound (https://gunnarbikes.com/rockhound.php)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A job? Works for me...
Old 04-28-08, 04:29 PM
Cheeto
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scelia
A job? Works for me...
Turned in 5 applications. They don't like to hire at 16 here. Ask anyone in my school.

and besides, I dont have a credit card number, my mom does, so I still need her permission
Old 04-28-08, 04:29 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll cheer you on from here...............Gooooooooooooo Cheeto!!!!!!
Old 04-28-08, 04:32 PM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Earn some money, and spend your cash on one of those Visa cash cards. Then you have a credit card number, and you can still be spending your own money.
Old 04-28-08, 04:34 PM
Cheeto
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have to Have her permission to get the frame people... Or else it'd end up outside in the yard/ trash.
Old 04-28-08, 04:39 PM
scelia
Just rollin' thru...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheeto
I still have to Have her permission to get the frame people... Or else it'd end up outside in the yard/ trash.
Can you run a lawn mower? Pull weeds? Wash cars? If you show your mom some motivation of your own to earn the money for your expensive hobby she might be inclined to help you...
Old 04-28-08, 04:39 PM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Then what are you asking? Do you think a bunch of perfect strangers know a secret way to convince your mom to let you have a new frame?
Old 04-28-08, 04:41 PM
scelia
Just rollin' thru...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And don't think that needing permission to buy things ends when you "grow up"... I still need my wife's permission for all my toys... And she has just authorized a set of I9 Enduro wheels!
Old 04-28-08, 04:42 PM
Cheeto
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trying to gear this to my Age group, as they have probabley had to convince their parents to let them get multiple bikes.
Old 04-28-08, 04:44 PM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ah. Well I hope you are able to convince her. I agree that earning the money and having it in hand would probably go a long way though.
Old 04-28-08, 04:49 PM
Terrapin Ben
I'm simply not credible.

Bikes: A blue one and a black one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just keep annoying her. see where that will get you. you can also tell her that you will never realize true happiness without this frame. and that the 3900 is dangerous. i would just start lying untill she can't take it anymore. or untill you get grounded. but seriously, i'd take Ashen's advice. you're old enough to be disobeying your parents. what mama don't know can't hurt her right?
Old 04-28-08, 04:52 PM
soccerun8728

Bikes: 2010 Wilier Gran Turismo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, I bought all of my bikes with my money. Plus my parents considered my job to do well in school and try hard at the sports that I did. I was also suppose to help them out around the house whenever they needed me. Though the initiative to earn your own money may change your mother's mind, either that or go ask dad.
Old 04-28-08, 05:01 PM
Cheeto
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh, My dad is deployed for a Year. I have minimal contact with him.
I have the money for the frame. I'm awaiting job interviews. I wash the cars, as I drive them and do the trash and dishes. and what ever else.

SHE doesn't see the need for a new bike already lol.
I disobey them all the time. Hell, I did a small bit of Mudding today in my car LOL! came home and washed it.
How would I explain myself when a Bike frae suddently shows on my front door. I still need somewhere to put it
Old 04-28-08, 05:17 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a job on a farm.
Old 04-28-08, 05:35 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have the bike shipped to a friend's, paint it EXACTLY the same as the 3900, and she'll never know.
Old 04-28-08, 05:44 PM
pyroguy_3

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1970's Miyata Liberty ala fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow your mom runs a tight ship! I do farm work all summer to support my bicycle habit. I earmark all that money for bike stuff and use the other money I make during the year for rent/tuition/booze/ you get the point. Luckily next semester I'll have a $1200 stipend via grad-school. New wheelset here I come! Seriously though, there's definitely no help to be found on BF, as all the possibilities are common sense. Oh yeah, as Gastro said do farmwork. I'm pretty sure there's no age limit, and maybe you can get the farmer to pay you under the table.
Old 04-28-08, 06:07 PM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scelia
And she has just authorized a set of I9 Enduro wheels!
sswwwwweeeeeeeeet!

mx
Old 04-28-08, 06:42 PM
Halebopp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought my road bike, both mountain bikes, and my track bike all with my own money. When I was in middle school I did yard work all summer to pay for them. My parents never had a problem with it. Now that I am in college and have "real" jobs I still kind of check in with them before I purchase, but its more for advice on whether its a smart purchace or not (seeing that I need money for school, etc). As bikes, food, and school are the only things I spend money on, they didn't think twice about my "new" (used) hardtail off craigslist.
Old 04-28-08, 06:57 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
1) Find the resale cost of your current frame
2) Do the math as to the difference in cost
3) Provide this info to your mom
4) Ask her what she'd need to see you accomplish to get her permission
5) Do what it is she told you
Old 04-28-08, 07:00 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
There's probably not a good way, so sometimes you have to deal with it. You'll run into similar things in the workplace as well. What happens is you have an idea how things ought to be done, your boss has an idea how things ought to be, and guess what happens?

One lesson to be learned here: If you want to buy stuff that is stupid and pointless, be sure and do it before you get married. (IE, anything relating to hobbies or guy-stuff).
Old 04-28-08, 07:59 PM
boyvirgil
Peace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clean the house
REEEEEALLY WELL
Old 04-28-08, 08:20 PM
liv_rong

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
One lesson to be learned here: If you want to buy stuff that is stupid and pointless, be sure and do it before you get married. (IE, anything relating to hobbies or guy-stuff).
Damn straight. I already have an expensive hobby, music and reocrding equipment. my girl friend was already pissed about all that spending. Then I ear marked $400 for a bike, then got a job at a bike shop, then spent nealry a grand on a bike, upgrades, shoes and helmet. Needless to say, my girlfriend was not happy. Seeing as we are saving to buy a house and eventually do the marraige thing, spending a grand was not a good idea to her. So I bought her a bike on closeout and told her I was getting it painted pink, then she was a little more happy with it.

my mom never wanted to spend more money on better quality toys, but my dad on the other hand likes good stuff, so he aways pushed the issue through. my mom was always happy though once she realized we were happy and that we had safer things.
Old 04-28-08, 08:32 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I think your mom is just trying to keep you from forming an "easy come, easy go" attitude about money. Forgive me if I'm making assumptions here, as I do more reading on these forums than posting, but it seems like every time you get money, you immediately spend it on upgrading your bike. Now, everyone here thinks that's a great idea! The portion of my salary allocated towards "fun" generally goes towards toys too. Of course, if I called up my mom and told her about my purchases, I'd surely get a "You spend WHAT on a bike?!" Similarly, to your mom, it probably looks like money burns a hole in your pocket...and gets wasted on bike parts. I'm sure she looks at you and sees an indiscriminate shopper who doesn't understand the value of money, and she wants to drill that into you before you leave the nest. Right now, she knows that you have little or no real financial obligations, and she wants to make sure you know how to budget your money before you do get hit with such things.

My advice to you would be to lay out a budget plan, on paper, and present it to her. Write up how you plan on getting income, and how much income you think that will be, whether it's from allowances or whatever jobs you can find. And I don't want to hear that you can't find work...if you really can't find an employer willing to hire you, there are still other options. Freelance...look for your own employment, whether it's mowing lawns, babysitting, walking someone's dog, or just looking around town and seeing who needs help doing what. You'd be surprised. And get creative. I did freelance artwork for years. I know a guy who gave private guitar lessons. I've heard of people going to yard sales and then reselling on eBay for profit. And if worse comes to worse, make your current bike into a fixie and sell it on Craigslist. You'd be surprised what fixies fetch, especially since they're "trendy" now. Once you have your income figured out, plan your budget. Allocating a portion (say 20-30%) towards a college fund will impress your parents. Or maybe do 15% towards college and 10% towards a car/insurance. That savings portion is key in proving that you can handle money. Then allocate another small portion, maybe 20% or so, towards pocket spending money, which would go towards things like going out with your friends. That way you won't have to bug your parents for cash for things like that, which will further show them you can budget your money. Finally, put the remaining chunk towards "big purchases," in this case, obviously the bike. It might sound like a lot of work, but it will prove your responsibility to your mom.

And Stephen, the alternative to buying everything before you get married...is finding a girl who geeks out over bike toys and such just as much as you. I'd love to find a guy who gets super stoked over the crank he just found on eBay...especially if he's willing to pass some of his bike knowledge on to me.
Old 04-28-08, 08:38 PM
troie
:\ ping of death

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheeto
Most of the parts would just come off my 3900 until I can upgrade better.-This is just so I cna ride. (yes I know not all of the parts will work for it.)

Sounds like you need to do some more research instead jumping the gun on a cheap frame. Just because its on sale doesnt mean you need to buy it. I was in your same exact situation when I bought my 03 HardRock.

Besides, they only have it in 19".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.