Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring companion for kids

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-22, 06:39 AM
BikeBenjamin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello there

I live in the UK.

I have finally found the courage to go off cycling and touring over the last few years. I say built up the courage because, while before I only ever toured with a friend and never thought to go off on my ow, now I have two children to take along with me, and ensuring their safety, feeding them etc, I was a little nervous.

We've now been off 'touring' around 6 times and each time was a great experience. I just wondered however, as our touring times build up from a week to months, maybe it would be nice for my children to have some companions of their own age, at least for some of the way.

So, my son is going on 6 and my daughter (who sits in the Thule trailer that used to be my son's) has just turned 3.

We live in Retford, Nottinghamshire, East Midlands.

We will be 'touring' again come March time I hope.

If any one is interested and in a similar situation (with kids of their own who you think might enjoy touring all the more if they could share some of the experience with a peer, not just their dad), please leave me a message and we can take it from there.

Thanks

Benjamin
Old 11-30-22, 03:30 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Great idea! I'd love to help, but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic for you all, and the wrong side of 70 yo, my children are 30-40s, lots of fun though.
Old 11-30-22, 05:05 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
If you're considering riding with younger children, this book might offer insight:

Old 12-04-22, 08:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
The UK based CTC bike forum would probably be a better place to ask, although I suspect that like here, most of the users are older folks not with young children.

I suspect though that you might get better suggestions from the UK crowd for possible other ideas.

Just be aware of course how hard it is already doing stuff with kids (as you know of course) so coordinating with another family does add another level of complexity, not even touching on the social / personalities / abilities and all that human stuff.
Old 12-16-22, 08:25 PM
BikeBenjamin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your help. Both great suggestions.

Hopefully we will find someone.

Ben
Old 12-16-22, 09:34 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeBenjamin
Thanks for your help. Both great suggestions.

Hopefully we will find someone.

Ben
Well, no matter what, even if you end up doing stuff on your own, the main thing is to keep it fun. Our kids got towed around etc and they ended up as adults still finding biking fun, so I guess we did our job right.
Old 12-17-22, 03:46 AM
BikeBenjamin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again.