Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stiffness Does Not Matter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stiffness Does Not Matter

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 04:11 PM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
40-some years ago, when I was riding 400 miles a week in preparation for weekend races, I rode a Fausto Coppi 60 cm road frame made of light Columbus tubing. My friends said the frame was ‘whippy’, but it also was very comfortable to ride for hours at a time — that is, not much vibration was transmitted thru the frame. Then, to have an opposite kind of experience, I bought a 60 cm frame made of heavy Columbus road tubing. I discovered that it ‘beat me unto death’ and was not suitable for 50-mile training rides even on the relatively smooth roads in eastern Florida. So, I used this new, stiff, frame for criterium and short time trials only. It gave me a 20-second advantage in a 10-mile time trial over the Coppi frame. I think it sprinted faster, too. And so, to wrap up this long narrative, I do think that stiffness matters as does shock absorption when it comes to comfort over the long haul.
Old 08-30-21, 04:27 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am skeptical of the highlighted claim.

Something returning to its original shape has it not an indication of it being damped (internal or otherwise). In fact, if you deflect a steel beam and let it go with no external damping, (not a common situation, as what it is bolted to may be damped) it will keep moving back and forth (vibrating) because steel itself has low hysteric damping (some, but little). And eventually return to its original shape.

The fact that steel has such low hysteric loss is the reason it makes a good spring for uses like a trampoline and pogo stick. Why would it suddenly have higher hysteric losses when you change the shape to a bike frame?

All a steel spring is is a long piece of steel that gets deflected when you compress the spring. The coil shape just makes it practical to work with. How is a steel bike frame fundamentally different?
First of all, a bicycle frame is not a spring, it is a complex system made up of many different pieces, each with its own properties. More importantly, none of the models that you learn in your undergrad physics or engineering classes are true, they are all approximations. There is no such thing as an ideal spring, springs have mass, they do not have linear restoring forces. If you enclose a real spring in a vacuum and launch it into space it won’t continue to vibrate forever. It may oscillate for a long time but not forever. A real beam which is deflected will not continue to oscillate, it’s not an ideal beam. In fact, a beam is much further from ideal than a simple spring. The more complicated a system becomes the less it behaves as ideal. Every piece of a bicycle frame interacts with every other piece. None of the pieces are ideal, they have properties which contribute to the behavior. That’s not to say that ideal models aren’t useful as a first approximation in a simple scenario but they are inadequate for describing real physical phenomena as you depart further from the ideal.
Old 08-30-21, 05:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanO
First of all, a bicycle frame is not a spring, it is a complex system made up of many different pieces, each with its own properties. More importantly, none of the models that you learn in your undergrad physics or engineering classes are true, they are all approximations. There is no such thing as an ideal spring, springs have mass, they do not have linear restoring forces. If you enclose a real spring in a vacuum and launch it into space it won’t continue to vibrate forever. It may oscillate for a long time but not forever. A real beam which is deflected will not continue to oscillate, it’s not an ideal beam. In fact, a beam is much further from ideal than a simple spring. The more complicated a system becomes the less it behaves as ideal. Every piece of a bicycle frame interacts with every other piece. None of the pieces are ideal, they have properties which contribute to the behavior. That’s not to say that ideal models aren’t useful as a first approximation in a simple scenario but they are inadequate for describing real physical phenomena as you depart further from the ideal.
You seem tonbe stuck in a false dichotomy that something is either
a) an ideal spring, or
b) so heavily damped that it dissapates most energy in the first cycle.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-30-21 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-30-21, 06:30 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You seem tonbe stuck in a false dichotomy that something is either
a) an ideal spring, or
b) so heavily damped that it dissapates most energy in the first cycle.
I said no such thing.
Old 08-30-21, 07:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
. If you enclose a real spring in a vacuum and launch it into space it won’t continue to vibrate forever. It may oscillate for a long time but not forever.
So you're saying hope doesn't spring eternal?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-21, 07:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I said no such thing.
Well, I never said anything about a bike frame being a perfect spring (in fact I pretty well ruled that out when I said a frame has LOW hysteretic loses rather than NO hysteretic losses), so why did you bring it up and go on at length about it?

You keep saying that a frame is not a spring, but when asked what the difference is, you just say it is made up of different parts. Well, on a steel frame those parts are all steel, all with relatively efficient spring characteristics. Not perfect, but relatively efficient.

To say that something "Mainly" dissipates energy (which I assume means most of the energy) through hysteretic loss in just a single compression is some pretty heavy damping. Where exactly is all this damping happening? In the welds?

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-31-21 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-31-21, 11:09 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
As far as torsional, lateral and vertical stiffness are concerned, a metal bicycle frame is a very stiff, undamped spring. But a CF frame could also include a lot of damping, often designed into the layup e.g. Bianchi CV. Modern CF frames are so stiff in torsion and lateral flex as to make any energy losses when sprinting insignificant - especially among similar modern bikes you may be considering back-to-back. Vertical compliance is what people really notice on modern bikes and even that is less significant now we are moving toward wider, low pressure tyres.
Likes For PeteHski: