Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Have you noticed less traffic?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 07:57 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've noticed a significant drop in traffic. Anyone else seeing this as well? I was in renewing the auto insurance on my wifes vehicle and dropping it on the truck and my van. We decided to drop the truck and park it as we only used it a few times a year and figured out we could shop for stuff at stores with truck delivery or hire a truck. I don't really need my old van as I've starting using my bike for everything. I asked the lady behind the counter if others were doing the same and she said there business was dropping like a rock with renewals down 50%. This goes along with all the new bike commuters hitting the road.
Old 06-02-08, 08:03 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Where are you?
Old 06-02-08, 08:03 AM
d2create

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
School ended last week for our area so there is a definite drop in traffic this week. And no school zones. Woohoo!
Old 06-02-08, 08:10 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More but I'm not sure if it is $$ or just a change in schedule because schools are almost out.
I ride in early and there are alot more cars on the road.
I drive in (2x a week) a couple hours later and it is an absolute parking lot a couple blocks earlier.

Up where I live you drive or you don't go to work since there is no mass transit at all. I guess you could ride a bike but "it would be absolutely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable". Somehow the wife and I manage to though.

I did see two vespas today holding up traffic. I wonder if Texas requires insurance on vespas.

Lots more late night traffic. Mostly kids out riding and screaming out their windows.
Old 06-02-08, 08:24 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Morning commute traffic in rural southern NH and ME seems pretty consistent with what it always is.

Over the memorial day weekend, however, I was out touring on a motorcycle as far south as Twin Falls WV, through WV, KY, OH, and IN west to Coal City IL, and then back to ME. Traffic seemed light for a holiday weekend and those who were on the road all seemed to be going slower.

We dropped one of our two cars and got the hard sell from the insurance co. Not so much pressure sales as asking a bit too many questions about why I was dropping a car without a replacement. Didn't help that the wife is with a separate ins co.
Old 06-02-08, 08:41 AM
trafficcasauras
Here's a Quarter...

Bikes: iro phoenix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this should be around peak 'cruising season' out at my little town on the highway, but i've seen way less highschoolers etc driving around.
Old 06-02-08, 08:41 AM
KonradNYC

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Trek 520 & gaspipe fixed gear beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been noticing that traffic seems to be decreasing recently. I'm guessing that gas prices coupled with the fact that most NYC drivers actually have alternative transit options has led to fewer people driving.
Old 06-02-08, 09:02 AM
Laru

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
In my case it is definitely due to school being out. I am only able to bike commute in the summer because I have to take my daughter to school in the car during the school year. So I have taken my car off the road and have become an additional bike commuter.
Maybe other people are doing the same?

Old 06-02-08, 09:08 AM
jaa1085

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not in Phoenix where I live. If you are saying it is from high gas prices, these lazy people out here would pay $10/gallon.

It wouldnt matter.
Old 06-02-08, 09:34 AM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed a drop in traffic about a week ago. I wonder if traffic will continue to decrease or if it will increase now that school is out.
Old 06-02-08, 09:37 AM
dingster1

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm seeing more commuter busses coming into DC from the longer distances,PA, WV, etc.
Old 06-02-08, 09:41 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wish but Coloradoans are attached to their cars via umbilical cords. That being said, mass transit use has increased quite a bit so one would think it would be reflected by the traffic on the roads. *shrugs*
Old 06-02-08, 09:42 AM
wolfbrother
hiphopopotamus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like I've seen more traffic lately. It also seems like when the weather gets nicer there are even more cars out there. While I have been noticing a few more bike riders on the road, I feel car use is still growing.
Old 06-02-08, 09:46 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not so much around here, but traffic isn't that bad anyway. I did read in the paper that AAA is reporting a national rise in the number of calls from people who are out of gas on the side of the road. As more people try to make it until pay day before refueling, they are taking chances by running on fumes. Heh - Maybe it's time to start carrying a liter of unleaded in my pannier! Maybe I can sell it to a stranded car for 20 bucks.

I have noticed more bicycle commuters and more people waiting at the bus stops, so apparently the high gas prices have people exploring other options.
Old 06-02-08, 09:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yes, I have noticed --or think I've noticed-- a mild reduction in car traffic, and an increase in bicycle traffic, all good news. Unfortunately ridership on the commuter train has increased considerably. That's a bit of a drag for me since the more crowded the train, the more difficult it is to find a place to stow my folding bike.
Old 06-02-08, 09:48 AM
jaa1085

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sean000
Not so much around here, but traffic isn't that bad anyway. I did read in the paper that AAA is reporting a national rise in the number of calls from people who are out of gas on the side of the road. As more people try to make it until pay day before refueling, they are taking chances by running on fumes. Heh - Maybe it's time to start carrying a liter of unleaded in my pannier! Maybe I can sell it to a stranded car for 20 bucks.

I have noticed more bicycle commuters and more people waiting at the bus stops, so apparently the high gas prices have people exploring other options.
That is the most ridicilous thing I have heard!
Old 06-02-08, 10:06 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaa1085
That is the most ridicilous thing I have heard!
I would have agreed till some neighbor (2 blocks away) came knocking on my door asking if I had any gas. He had his wallet open with his DL showing his address to prove it

His car had died right on the corner and he had some gas at home for his yard stuff but he was in a rush to get home to pick up his kids he skipped the station. I told him unfortunately I don't have any gas yard equipment so didn't have a gas can. He didnt' seem to believe me but asked if I knew anyone that might have gas. Sure every house but this one has a lawn tractor so it depends on who is home. Apparantly no one was because his car sat for hours.

If I wasn't so in shock by the whole thing I woulda offered to give him a lift home since I kidna felt bad after I kept seeing his car there.
Old 06-02-08, 10:22 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I haven't noticed is more car-pooling, which is a real shame.
Old 06-02-08, 10:22 AM
nick__45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i actually notice a lot of people here upgrade to much bigger vehicles because they can get a nice v8 suv for the same price, if not less, as the honda civic.

and this area is very bad for biker as the cagers don't like sharing the road and there is no sidewalk, shoulder, or anything for bikers.
Old 06-02-08, 10:36 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i still see cars with only one person in them in the morning, traffic seems about the same as it usually is but i have seen a few more people on bikes which is nice...a lot of scooters too

Old 06-02-08, 04:25 PM
mawtangent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed that people seem to be driving slower (many more are driving the actual speed limit). While driving my car I'm getting passed less and "drafted" more. I've seen a lot of new-spots about driving slower to save gas, so it must be sinking in to some (extreme-Southwest Virgina, U.S.A.)
Old 06-02-08, 04:43 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evblazer
I would have agreed till some neighbor (2 blocks away) came knocking on my door asking if I had any gas. He had his wallet open with his DL showing his address to prove it

His car had died right on the corner and he had some gas at home for his yard stuff but he was in a rush to get home to pick up his kids he skipped the station. I told him unfortunately I don't have any gas yard equipment so didn't have a gas can. He didnt' seem to believe me but asked if I knew anyone that might have gas. Sure every house but this one has a lawn tractor so it depends on who is home. Apparantly no one was because his car sat for hours.

If I wasn't so in shock by the whole thing I woulda offered to give him a lift home since I kidna felt bad after I kept seeing his car there.

Saw on the news this morning that AAA calls are up 25% with exactly the same scenario. They say people trying to be frugal are running the tanks at empty. Doesn't make sense to me, use the same gas regardless.
Old 06-02-08, 05:06 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have noticed fewer cars, but I do shifts so my perception of fewer could simply be due to school or something. The cars that are on the road do seem more 'desperate' if that makes any sense? Drivers seem to be a little angrier or more stressed, could be due to having to pay more? Maybe some people are starting to panic..seems gas is only on the way up...

Oh yea.. there are definatly more people on the subway that haven't been before. You can always tell the people who either never rode transit or haven't in years..

Cheers!
Old 06-02-08, 05:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
NO! Definitely not! Traffic has been increasing in the 3 years I've lived here. Where it once took a person 15 minutes to drive cross town, now you're lucky to do it in about 30 minutes because there's so much traffic.
Old 06-03-08, 10:57 AM
Chuck G
Dirty old man in training

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 1991 Raleigh Olympian, 1988 Nishiki Ariel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I haven't noticed any change in automobile traffic lately.

I have riden at least part way to work with a few bike commuters lately, which is unusual but very cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.