Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Advantage of upgraded wheels?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Advantage of upgraded wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 09:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6970 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Well said. If you do go carbon, the Reynolds are ATRs are great, have some give for gravel compliance and unlimited weight rating also.
I just looked those up, and the claimed weight is 1685 grams! Not much lighter than my alloy wheels with DTS 350 hubs, which were custom built for about half the money. Is there some advantage to those Reynolds wheels that I'm missing?
Old 01-21-22, 10:37 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
One disadvantage is that the Reynolds is only 21mm inside rim dimension. The Zipp 303 S is 23mm.

Gary
Old 01-22-22, 03:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
One disadvantage is that the Reynolds is only 21mm inside rim dimension. The Zipp 303 S is 23mm.

Gary
Reynolds ATR are 23mm internal and 40mm deep. At 32mm wide, ATR are 5mm wider than 303S, suggesting enhanced durability.
Old 01-22-22, 07:26 AM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Enve AG25 wheels are 25 mm internal, under 1500 gm for the wheelset, and I got mine last summer for $1550. And the rims are actually made in the US - that has to be worth something!
Likes For Chilepines:
Old 01-22-22, 09:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Well if this is turning into a wheel recommendation thread, I think the carbon wheel QPR (quality to price ratio) leader is the Lün Grapid from Winspace, which is 25mm IW, 38mm deep, 1413g, and $800. Wide flange spacing hubs, o-ring seals…lots of good stuff.

I don’t have them or know anyone who does, but the specs are fabulous and there have been many very good reviews for Winspace wheels across a broad spectrum of sources.

https://www.winspace.cc/lun-grapid-7...-wheelset.html
Old 01-22-22, 07:54 PM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Other than reduced weight, what are you hoping to gain?

And even the reduced weight will have a near-trivial impact on your average speed. Instead of blowing cash on wheels, you'll end up faster if you use the money to buy some vacation time and spend it training.
If you are a recreational rider who isn't concerned with times or competitive riding/group riding/Strava times, then I agree. To say that dropping 600 grams in wheel weight would have a near trivial impact is bunk though. You will notice an immediate difference going with a 1500g wheelset. You don't have to go carbon but carbon has it's advantages. Really good 1600g aluminum wheelsets can be had for around $500 to 600. Hunt 4 seasons come to mind. Carbon wheels are much more durable and if you are a bigger rider, they are worth the premium in my opinion. With carbon you can get a 25mm internal wheelset that goes 1500g and will outlast any lighter alum wheelset. Aero benefit is not worth debating if you are not a competitive (very) rider.
I'd say that if you use Strava and try to improve your times, do any group rides, compete in any races at all or do any considerable amount of hillclimbing, get better wheels. You will notice the difference immediately.
Old 01-22-22, 07:56 PM
pipeliner

Other than reduced weight, what are you hoping to gain?

And even the reduced weight will have a near-trivial impact on your average speed. Instead of blowing cash on wheels, you'll end up faster if you use the money to buy some vacation time and spend it training.
If you are a recreational rider who isn't concerned with times or competitive riding/group riding/Strava times, then I agree. To say that dropping 600 grams in wheel weight would have a near trivial impact is bunk though. You will notice an immediate difference going with a 1500g wheelset. You don't have to go carbon but carbon has it's advantages. Really good 1600g aluminum wheelsets can be had for around $500 to 600. Hunt 4 seasons come to mind. Carbon wheels are much more durable and if you are a bigger rider, they are worth the premium in my opinion. With carbon you can get a 25mm internal wheelset that goes 1500g and will outlast any lighter alum wheelset. Aero benefit is not worth debating if you are not a competitive (very) rider.
I'd say that if you use Strava and try to improve your times, do any group rides, compete in any races at all or do any considerable amount of hillclimbing, get better wheels. You will notice the difference immediately.
Old 01-22-22, 08:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I just looked those up, and the claimed weight is 1685 grams! Not much lighter than my alloy wheels with DTS 350 hubs, which were custom built for about half the money. Is there some advantage to those Reynolds wheels that I'm missing?
Yeah, not super light, but extremely durable, and unlimited weight rating is the big one. Like I said above though, I'd recommend the DT Swiss or Eastons above the Reynolds if cost is an issue and Reynolds are excellent if you are a suberclyde. I own and ride both the Reynolds and DT Swiss. I am partial to the Eastons too but am not currently riding them. We sell Reynolds, Easton & DT Swiss and over 6 years without a single broken spoke, cracked rim or warranty issue on any of them. The next step down is also a great set into the $450 range - Shimano GRX. We find the GRX set the best one available in the sub $500 range and a great upgrade for most bikes under $3,000.
Old 01-22-22, 09:18 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Originally Posted by pipeliner
If you are a recreational rider who isn't concerned with times or competitive riding/group riding/Strava times, then I agree. To say that dropping 600 grams in wheel weight would have a near trivial impact is bunk though. You will notice an immediate difference going with a 1500g wheelset. You don't have to go carbon but carbon has it's advantages. <snip> Carbon wheels are much more durable and if you are a bigger rider, they are worth the premium in my opinion. With carbon you can get a 25mm internal wheelset that goes 1500g and will outlast any lighter alum wheelset. Aero benefit is not worth debating if you are not a competitive (very) rider.
I'm not a racer, per se, but ride over 7k miles per year and performance is important. I love the new Salsa Warbird and will be riding it for a long time to come, hopefully. Plan to do several century dirt road rides this year and want a responsive and comfortable wheelset under me.

Definitely want carbon due to my weight. I'd rather hurt once on the purchase than buy aluminum and have a wheel crack or do otherwise, like some here have said. Would like 25mm inner rim width and am willing to go to $1,500 - preferably less - to get something that will be durable and have a good warranty.

Appreciate all the input - wish I could respond to each one individually - keep the good info coming!

Gary
Likes For BrazAd:
Old 01-22-22, 09:35 PM
pipeliner

Since you ride that much, carbon bars are a major improvement as well. Weight savings is pretty minor but they smooth out vibrations so much. You can pick up a decent set for reasonable $$$ Couldn't live without them (and my Redshift stem).
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 01-23-22, 09:41 AM
BrazAd

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Well said. If you do go carbon, the Reynolds are ATRs are great, have some give for gravel compliance and unlimited weight rating also.
I started riding at 265 lbs four years ago. Was down to 225 last year before gaining 10 back. I’ve ridden over 26,000 miles since then.

Carbon - 18,818 miles, no broken spokes (Reynolds, 24 spokes)

Aluminum - 8,000 miles, 3 broken spokes (Mavic, Stan’s and Fulcrum)

So, yeah. I’m gonna upgrade to carbon for responsiveness, durability and ride smoothness. Preferably with 23-25mm inner rim width. Gonna go with hooks after reading the info here - appreciate the input so far!

Gary
Likes For BrazAd:
Old 01-23-22, 12:46 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think that when talking about the impact of wheel weight, you have to distinguish between weight at the outside (rims, nipples) vs weight at the center (hubs). The rims/nipples matter a whole lot more than the hubs, (with spoke weight somewhere in the middle of importance). I find comparisons of total wheel weights that do not make this distinction to be of little value.

So when someone says "Hey, this aluminum wheelset weighs the same as this other CF wheelset for a lot less money" that may be true, but the rim weights are likely to be different. And that is really the important part.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-23-22, 12:57 PM
BrazAd

Since you ride that much, carbon bars are a major improvement as well. Weight savings is pretty minor but they smooth out vibrations so much. You can pick up a decent set for reasonable $$$ Couldn't live without them (and my Redshift stem).
Pipeliner, I have carbon bars on my road bike. I put a set of aluminum Ritchey Comp Ergomax bars on this new gravel bike AND installed the Redshift ShockStop stem - what a marvelous combination! The Ritchey bars have a superb design - they are flat and raised on either side of the stem PLUS they have a slight flare back, which is your hand’s natural position. The Redshift stem smooths the bumps out - wow!

Gary
Old 01-23-22, 02:36 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
I upgraded to custom IndustryNine wheels through my Lynskey bike purchase (20% off, zero % financed). Honestly it was just for the bling factor of customized colors. That being said I’m really happy about their performance, especially the hub engagement, decently light 1545 grams and 24.5mm internal rim width. Perfect spec for lots of tubeless gravel tires on the market today.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 01-23-22, 04:08 PM
pipeliner

One more thing... for the folks saying aluminum rides better, that is true but not with tubeless 45mm tires. If you plan to ride tires smaller than 40mm, maybe worth considering (but I don't think so).

I have a hard time believing anyone could tell the difference between carbon and aluminum with 45mm wide tires at 30psi.
Old 01-23-22, 06:38 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I started riding at 265 lbs four years ago. Was down to 225 last year before gaining 10 back. I’ve ridden over 26,000 miles since then.

So, yeah. I’m gonna upgrade to carbon for responsiveness, durability and ride smoothness. Preferably with 23-25mm inner rim width. Gonna go with hooks after reading the info here - appreciate the input so far!

Gary
Bontrager Aeoles Pro 3V, 37 or 37V if you can find them will meet what you want. I have Pro 5 and they are rugged. Plus good warranty. Though these are Trek products. I’ve looked at Hunt but have not seen any in person.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...ode=black_grey
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 01-23-22, 09:10 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Gary
Congrats on the weight loss. No one here will ever agree on wheel recommendations, so let us know what you wind up with and how much you like it.
Old 01-23-22, 09:28 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I own essentially the same bike as the OP, one year older, but with the same stock wheels. They are heavy. I replaced them with Lightbicycle WR35 (35 mm depth, 25 mm ID width) carbon rims and Novatec hubs for $660/pair.

I'm not going to argue the "is it worth it for those dollars" thing. I like my carbon wheels much better than the OEM wheels, both for the lighter weight and for the advantages of wider rims.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-24-22, 07:02 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
At 240 lbs + bike, saving even a full pound on the wheels will do exactly diddly squat.
Old 01-24-22, 08:12 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I also got Light Bicycle wheels for gravel riding .. WR50's. I don't think the weight is such a big deal but I have to say I have gotten quite enamored with how deep section wheels ride. They give you added stability due to some complex physics I don't claim to understand very well. Here is a link if you want to see an explanation: https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-ph...ero-wheels-d1/. They have a downside in crosswinds but it is minimal on the WR50s.

Re: hookless or not, maybe in a few years hookless will be ready for prime time but it didn't seem to be fully there a year ago when I got my wheels.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 01-25-22, 12:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
At 240 lbs + bike, saving even a full pound on the wheels will do exactly diddly squat.
Maybe it's placebo, but a 500g difference im wheelset weight can be felt. Perhaps it's other things besides just weight- different spoke count, different rim width, etc...but I'm pretty sure it's the weight that can be felt and 500g can be felt, even at that riding weight.

It won't make me measurably faster, but it can be felt.
Old 01-25-22, 11:46 AM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Maybe it's placebo, but a 500g difference im wheelset weight can be felt. Perhaps it's other things besides just weight- different spoke count, different rim width, etc...but I'm pretty sure it's the weight that can be felt and 500g can be felt, even at that riding weight.

It won't make me measurably faster, but it can be felt.
It doesn't matter if its placebo or not - if lightweight carbon wheels make you happy that is a good thing, especially if it gets you on the bike more. If inexpensive aluminum wheels make you happy, ride them and don't get carbon.
Old 01-25-22, 01:53 PM
pipeliner

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You are wrong but that’s OK…

Go climb a long hill with one and then the other, afterward check your times. Rider size doesn’t negate the effect and I speak from experience.
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 01-25-22, 03:56 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts
Gang,

I bought a 2021 Salsa Warbird 600 about 4 weeks ago. Stock wheels are WTB ST Light i23 TCS - they weigh about 2,170 grams for the set, I understand.

I'm looking at a set of Zipp 303 S carbon wheels.

I ride at around 15-16 mph on mostly dirt roads. What advantages will a set of carbon wheels give me over the stock wheelset, other than reduced weight?

Thanks,

Gary
I actually bought the Zipp 303S wheel set for my Santa Cruz Stigmata and they feel fantastic. They spin up fast, are very compliant and just look sexy. I'd wholeheartedly recommend them...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 01-25-22, 03:57 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
You are wrong but that’s OK…

Go climb a long hill with one and then the other, afterward check your times. Rider size doesn’t negate the effect and I speak from experience.
I think I'll be slower the second time?
(sorry, that's beside your point, I know)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.