Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Recolt or Canyon Grizl for tall rider

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Giant Recolt or Canyon Grizl for tall rider

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21, 05:08 PM
wahla21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Revolt or Canyon Grizl for tall rider

Hi all

First post here.

im 6.5 (195cm) and looking to get a gravel bike.
It’s down to Giant Revolt or Canton Grizl.
The canyon comes in XXL which is huge and would easily fit me. My worry is that an Revolt in XL will be too short in the seat tube.

I had a TCR and it has a 20mm longer seat tube and I had it on max.

any other rider my height who owns a Revolt and can share some experience?

Much appreciated!

Last edited by wahla21; 11-14-21 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-14-21, 04:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I am also 6'5, though I don't own a Revolt and immediately eliminated it from consideration based on stack height and trail number(a few years ago when I was most recently looking).

Yeah, the grizl's seat tube is 80mm longer than the Revolt's. Not sure how long their stock seatpost is,, but could you get a longer one?? That could solve your concern.
I go more by stack and reach, though I haven't ridden a drop bar bike with such a strongly sloped top tube like the Revolt has.

Revolt stack is 630 and reach is 407.
grizl stack is 644 and reach is 436.

- its good to see giant finally built more stack height into their largest frame. It used to be 616mm of stack height, while they claim riders up to 6'7 fit the bike. That is absurd. It may work for someone, but most who are 6'4 to 6'7 are looking for more stack height. 616mm of stack on a gravel bike is closer to someone that's maybe 6'1. Anyways, nice that they recognized their old geometey needed to change. It's still on the short end of things for a frame they say is intended to be ridden by someone 6'7, but its an improvement.

- the grizl frame has a crazy amount of reach in xxl. That is 25-40mm longer than what you typically see on the largest frames. And they spec it with a 100mm stem? Wow that's a long reach. Easy adjustment with a new stem, but its just surprising to see such a long reach for gravel(especially on what is marketed as more adventure vs speed).
Old 11-15-21, 02:14 AM
wahla21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

I usually go after stack and reach too but when I saw the seat tube only being 530mm it made me worry.

I could of course get a different seat post like you say but I find it a bit strange Giant not cater for people with 35”+ inseam…..
Old 11-15-21, 07:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by wahla21
Thanks

I usually go after stack and reach too but when I saw the seat tube only being 530mm it made me worry.

I could of course get a different seat post like you say but I find it a bit strange Giant not cater for people with 35”+ inseam…..
1st, are both available? Its quite the bummer to decide on your ideal bike and find its not gonna be in stock.

2nd: long exposed seat tubes are wonderful for gravel. I have a Canyon with a frame designed for a long seat tube, and it makes a HUGE difference. Roads I could not ride down 10 years ago I can now comfortably cruise on at 20mph with 32mm tires (I'm talking harsh washboarding). Granted, Canyon makes the best seat tube in the business, but its amazing how something like that can make a huge difference.
Likes For chas58:
Old 11-17-21, 09:24 AM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
I’m not a fan of the Praxis cranks/BB on the Revolt. Tough to fit a power meter too… unless the new ones have a threaded BB?
Old 11-17-21, 11:28 AM
wahla21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Pressfit and SRAM Dub

unless you go down on the cheaper models it might differ

Originally Posted by pipeliner
I’m not a fan of the Praxis cranks/BB on the Revolt. Tough to fit a power meter too… unless the new ones have a threaded BB?