Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Adjustments for knee pain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 12:11 PM
uncrx2003

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the past 3 rides, I have noticed a slight pain behind my right knee. Before you ask, I have been fitted to this bike. Otherwise, everything else is dandy on the bike. Left knee feels great. Just did a 47 mi ride today and pain started after the first few miles. Therefore, what adjustments do I need to get rid of this pain? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-10, 12:13 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 628 Posts
Lower your saddle or see your doctor.
My right knee did that when I raised it up.

Old 08-28-10, 12:21 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
usually a saddle that's too low will cause knee pain, while one that is too high will cause hip and lower back pain.
It can also be caused by a variety of other reasons, and a sports physician will know better than a doctor.

I think the most common problem is not stretching and massaging muscles enough after a ride. It can also be improper cleat placement and imbalanced muscle development which causes your knee to twist. But I'm no expert.

Try giving your IT band daily massages and stretches.
Old 08-28-10, 12:29 PM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
First, GO TO DR!

You never know when there is damage to your knee, or other body part.

BF will give many tips, but none of us know you. Or have seen you ride, or know how you ride.
So the best you will get on here is a guess.
Old 08-28-10, 12:38 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding for a couple of months. I promise there is not any serious knee problem here. This is my 5th ride after the fitting. When I got this bike, I just adjusted the seat to my comfort level. The fitting did raise the saddle quite a bit. It just strange that it only happens to one knee. I'm using speedplay x5 so there is quite a bit of float with this system. If I were to lower the saddle a little bit, how much? 1-2 mm?
Old 08-28-10, 01:27 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yes, 1~2mm increments is ideal.

a good measure of thumb, is that having your ankles on the pedal will cause your leg to be fully extended. Try not to rock your hip when doing this, since it obscures measurements.

What works for me is to stretch and massage the IT band and make a conscious effort to keep feet parallel to each other, no toe in or out.
Old 08-28-10, 02:01 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure your cleats are angled right.
Old 08-28-10, 04:22 PM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that leg shorter or longer than the other? You may have to use inserts in the shoe for the shorter leg.
Old 08-29-10, 03:39 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAS
Is that leg shorter or longer than the other? You may have to use inserts in the shoe for the shorter leg.
I suspect this is the case with the right leg is a bit shorter than the left. I have virtually no pain in the left knee at all. I just ordered a leg length kit from speedplay to add a few mm to the right cleat. Until then, I have decided to lower the saddle by 2 mm. Hopefully the pain will be gone by this wed when I do a 30 mi ride.
Old 08-29-10, 03:41 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
raise your saddle and don't delay. last year i ended up with a hamstring strain that took months and physio to recover from.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 08-29-10, 03:44 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
raise your saddle and don't delay. last year i ended up with a hamstring strain that took months and physio to recover from.
The pain is in the back of the knee; therefore, I think the saddle is a bit to high for the right leg. When I extend my right leg today, I can feel the soreness in that muscle behind the knee.
Old 08-29-10, 03:49 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
The pain is in the back of the knee; therefore, I think the saddle is a bit to high for the right leg. When I extend my right leg today, I can feel the soreness in that muscle behind the knee.
lower your saddle and don't delay. That's what i meant to say.

The amount it is too high may be tiny. Mine was lowered a miniscule amount but made all the difference.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 08-29-10, 05:23 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience was front knee pain when the saddle was low and back of knee pain when it was too high. You'd be surprised low little an adjustment is needed to get rid of the pain problem.

So I would lower it...I would also experiment with the foot angle while pedalling. A higher angle might aleviate your problem, or you may not like it and just lower the saddle.
Old 08-29-10, 10:31 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
I have been riding for a couple of months. I promise there is not any serious knee problem here. This is my 5th ride after the fitting. When I got this bike, I just adjusted the seat to my comfort level. The fitting did raise the saddle quite a bit. It just strange that it only happens to one knee. I'm using speedplay x5 so there is quite a bit of float with this system. If I were to lower the saddle a little bit, how much? 1-2 mm?
Go back and ask if anything can be done.
Old 08-29-10, 10:45 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As you say you have only been riding a few months, you may have increased your mileage a bit too quickly. Remember that muscle tissue builds strength much quicker than tendons or ligaments. The saddle height and shoe inserts should certainly be looked to, but patience may be your best friend here. I suggest backing down your mileage/output for a bit and then slowly (5% per week or less) bringing it back up. Having said that, I must admit that I have rarely followed my own advice, which has led to many painful years of riding. I sometimes wish I had gotten addicted to drugs instead of bikes, it looks like less pain.
Old 08-30-10, 12:39 AM
andrewluke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to keep the cadence up as well. I occasionally get behind the knee pain when I mash too much in addition to the saddle too high issue. Then again, baseball and running killed my knees when I was younger.
Old 08-30-10, 05:43 AM
BasicJim

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
Old 09-01-10, 09:53 PM
uncrx2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Just did a 25 mi ride today with the saddle lowered by 2 mm. The knee is much better. Don't feel much pain at all in the knee. I ordered a leg length kit from speedplay the other day. Should I raise the saddle back up to the original height and add the shim piece to my right cleat so that the right leg is equal with the left leg or just leave the saddle where it is now?